Virginia to Alaska and back on an '86 Yamaha Radian

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ruffntuff, Oct 2, 2012.

1. motoace

motoace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if I'll get closure before I die.
    Milosh likes this.
  2. EffinNewGuy

EffinNewGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More importantly, did Anna get closure?
    Refer to the first post. We may never read the end of Anna's tale, but it's her tale to share, on her time.
    TonyKZ1, bluestar, Chip Seal and 2 others like this.
  3. motoace

motoace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dad
  4. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Since she has so politely responded to many of us and has taken us almost back to her home, I feel the tale has ended and happily, considering the purpose for the ride, in the first place... It's still the best RR I've ever read, and recommend it to others to experience. tomp dd50
    td63, Chip Seal, just jeff and 3 others like this.
  5. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We all tell people we are X years old. I have changed my way of thinking the age issue each time I turned 10,18,21 30,35,40 all the way to now ,60.I am now thinking about a journey through life when closure is at the end of it , then we cannot say this is it ,my closure but those continuing on their journey some will see it as a sad time,it will not be for us,it is what will happen so tell your story now in your words .This is our story and we want all that read it to know our words as we travel towards closure. I look at life different now.My Grandfather was born in 1902 and his journey ended 1n 1989. He told me of a world with no electricity,indoor plumbing,airplanes,automobiles,traveling that was hard to do past twenty miles,paved roads,the list goes on and is very long.What he did remember was a working in a grain mill as a boy, a farm , steam engine tractors, many wars but in none,seeing all the things mentioned here come to pass and more but mostly talked about family ,friends and what he had seen.I met Anna August 12 with others in Charlottesville at the Firefly Restaurant .I felt some closure that day of her journey but still would like to read the rest. Weather here is still good to ride,I am off to ride today. [​IMG]
    DCrider, td63, Scrubby1 and 5 others like this.
  6. ruffntuff

ruffntuff TUFRDR

Oddometer:
    Some days I wake up reminiscing about this story. The next post is in the works!
  7. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning my trip to Alaska this summer on a Versys X-300. Another inmate suggested this thread and I am glad he did. Both the knowledge learned on your ride to Alaska is valuable to me and the underlying personal story has touched my heart. Thank you.
    Uke likes this.
  8. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am glad to here from you again and look forward to more.Steve.
  9. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
    DCrider and Desert Silver like this.
  10. AVPU

AVPU Forever Noob Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yay!

11. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    Have posted your RR link for others who have stated wantingto or are going to take a trip similar to yours.. Everyone has loved tour story.

I'm looking forward to the next installment, and perhaps a hint as to how you are, and what you've been up to lately.

You realize you created a loooong list of internet friends, who felt as if they made the trip with you, and still wonder about you. tomp dd50
    Uke likes this.
  12. Milosh

Milosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is literally my favorite Ride Report ever. I anxiously await the next installment!
    DCrider likes this.
  13. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    DITTO... tp dd50
  14. Pepe le pew

Pepe le pew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shes back...Its party time!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap
  15. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked it up in the Versys-X 300 thread when you posted it. I just finished getting to here. Very interesting, thanks.

...ken...
  16. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannot wait! :clap
  17. ruffntuff

ruffntuff TUFRDR

Oddometer:
    Part 3- Day 8

Dallas, TX- Oxford, MS: 532 miles

September 19, 2012

Of all the boring rides to forget on this journey this would be the first. Even Kansas had better scenery. But at least in Kansas I had gusts of wind to battle and something to fight for. If there is anything remotely interesting between Dallas and Oxford, I missed it. Unfortunately, a dull road can entertain a festering mind and I fought my thoughts most of the day.

This was the down time I remember. The down after a high. I was coming home and this journey was almost over. I missed my family. I knew I was ready to look into their eyes, see their tears and embrace them. But I was afraid. I was afraid of the emptiness and sorrow lingering around us all. I was afraid of the long sleepless nights on a pillow wet of tears. I was afraid of the cool shadow that followed and the glimpses of a familiar face I thought I saw in a stranger.

I drowned the echo of howls and wails with the throttle in a desperate attempt to escape. I abandoned them all for my own deliverance, my selfish escapade. What kind of hero abandons her family after a loss like that? How could I burden them with worry and concern, forcing them to hope and pray they wouldn’t lose another?

Guilt seeped through my veins like poison.

After some time, I took a break from my rotting mind. I tried to listen to music to damper the toxic voice with a Bluetooth ear bud. It didn’t fit well under my helmet, however, and after thirty minutes or so there was a sore in my ear that oozed. I didn’t care. I preferred the pain over the noxious voice in my head.

The straight flat road tunneled between young green pines eventually popped me out into Oxford. An old friend of Dan’s lived there, Dan McHugh. They were high school buds, Dan and Dan. And of course, they both rode motorcycles.

He was the first one I told about my plan to ride to Alaska. It was Christmas break and it was all I could think about. “I don’t even have a bike and I haven’t ridden in 8 years,” I said laughing. He told me about ADV rider and that was when my research and planning began, because of him.

At that time Dan McHugh was the one I confided in. I confessed my need to escape. Every day I lived surrounded by my brother’s memory and Adriane’s grief for her husband and my parent’s grief for their son. I thought I had the grit to be the rock of the family. I tried to prevent everyone from falling into despair, except myself. But I knew that my own grief would never compare to the loss of a husband or a son and the more I endured the more resentful I felt. My resentment was like a cancer isolated in remission ready to lash out. I knew my grief was waiting for me in a hot pool simmering beneath the crust ready to spring. I was going to burst and I needed to be alone.

It was reassuring spending the evening with Dan after a long and emotionally torturous ride. He was a quiet person, like myself, one of those people with which you can have a long comfortable silence. Unspoken words said plenty and we understood each other, like a brother and sister.

[​IMG]
  18. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As always, the InterStates suck. I now stick to the blue lane highways for more positive introspection. Glad you're back Anna.
    Uke likes this.
  19. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
    Powerful as always. Thanks for that.
    Uke likes this.
  20. dirtdreamer50

Oddometer:
    The ability to recall that level of emotion, from seven years earlier, is a difficult task, to say the least.

Anna, the way you shared it is AMAZING. Sorry you had to go thru that agony, but thankful you shared with us. Sharing does lessen the burden. tomp dd50
    VisionPilot and Uke like this.