1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Virginia to Alaska and back on an '86 Yamaha Radian

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ruffntuff, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Belgradian

Belgradian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steely-eyed motorcycle rider! Great Photos.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pics aren't showing for me, just seeing [​IMG]
    Davis53 and Ken in Regina like this.
  3. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too.

...ken...
    dirtdreamer50 and Davis53 like this.
  4. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anna - I can't anything to what has already been said, but regardless I wanted to let you know that I blame YOU for missing an important business meeting since I was up late reading this entire post (jk). You have an incredible way of expressing yourself, bringing the reader INTO your story. We were all participating with you on your ride vicariously living an incredibly interesting life. You have a true and pure talent in your writing. Thanks for putting this out there.
    Milosh and Sunday Rider like this.
  5. ruffntuff

ruffntuff TUFRDR

Oddometer:
    Part 3- Day 11

Pisgah, NC – Crozet, VA: 460 miles

September 23, 2012

The air was crisp and cool and it smelled like fall. It was a perfect morning to snuggle in a sleeping bag, sip on some coffee, and listen to the forest come alive as the sun warmed the dew off the tent. But I couldn’t relax enough to enjoy such a moment. I set my alarm for 6:30 and was riding by 7:15 as the sun rose over the blue jagged ridges to the east.

I had never seen the North Carolina side of the Blue Ridge Parkway and found it to be more rugged and wild and twisty than Virginia. It was wonderful to ride and I had imagined it would be a leisurely day stopping at all the scenic overlooks along the way, cherishing every last moment. But I never did. I realized “cherishing every last moment” actually meant riding every last moment.

It wasn’t until the Radian needed fuel that I finally pulled over somewhere near the highest point of the Parkway, Mount Mitchell, cresting at just over 6,000 feet. I dug out my smartphone only to realize I had no cell service to search for gas stations. As I unstrapped the RotoPax I realized I may have neglected some critical planning for this section of the ride.

I knew the extra two gallons would get me at least another 100 miles, but I started to keep a sharp eye out for turn-offs. That was when I noticed there weren’t very many access roads and the few I had passed already gave no indication to where they went or if gas was available. Getting off the Parkway for fuel was going to be a blind guess.

I’m not sure where I ended up getting off the Parkway, but when I did, it was at least ten miles to a gas station, and even then, I still had no cell service to search for fuel ahead. Even the GPS on my phone wouldn’t tell me how far I was from home. I wasn’t sure who was dumber, the smart phone or myself for not planning ahead.

I knew my total ride from Pisgah Campground would be 408 miles of Parkway, as the miles are marked nicely along the shoulder of the road. I also knew I could do that mileage easily with two full tanks and two Rotopax refills. So, I made an assumption when I refueled that I would at least make it to the end of the Parkway at Rockfish Gap, which was just a couple miles from a gas station close to home.

Relieved, I rode on and crossed into Virginia with a surge of emotions. I felt a giddy thrill and pulled the throttle riding faster and faster. The air became brisk and my fingers clutched the grips with numb hands. Autumn had lightly touched Virginia. Burned amber and yellow spotted the deep green mountainside and crispy leaves danced in the road around me.

Once my favorite time of year, the turning of trees and cool nights sitting around a campfire were often a reminder of that horrific day. I remembered pulling my mother to the ground while gasping for air. I remembered my father weeping. I remembered yelling at my sister, “This cannot be true!” I remembered holding Adriane, telling her I’d never leave her. I remembered his cold broken hands that I held to my lips and the cold nights I slept under the stars for weeks afterwards in his backyard.

Familiarity of the road grew as I got closer to home. I felt ready to get there but I was terrified. I was terrified to see my family, to see the pain and sadness in their eyes that deepened every day without him. All the wind in Kansas, snow in Montana, rain in Alaska, and storms in British Columbia could not have prepared me for this. I was returning to loss and grief still lurking behind every familiar corner, every familiar turn, and every familiar face.

I rode the Radian hard while reminiscing, mourning, laughing, giggling, crying. The solitude in the mountains and quiet familiar road kept me wanting for more and more miles.

About 40 miles from Rockfish Gap, the Radian started to spit, cough, and gag. I flipped the tank to reserve and it gulped, burped, and surged forward. I knew then I was going to be in trouble. My Rotopax was dry and the reserve tank would only get me 35 miles if I was lucky.

Trying not to panic I slowed down to keep the RPMs low. Coasting every downhill and feathering every uphill, I gingerly milked each drop of fuel like a precious gem.

As I drifted along, I watched the mile markers. Ten miles, nine miles, eight miles, still running smooth. Seven miles, six miles, five miles, spit spit. Fuck! Four miles, spit cough. Three miles, cough cough. Two miles, cough, gag spit. One mile, gag, spit, gag, spit. Fuck, fuck, fuck!

I pulled over at Afton Mountain Overlook, just two tenths of a mile from Rockfish Gap. I had ridden over 17,000 miles without ever running out of gas and here I was, just a stone’s throw away from home, empty. I laughed shaking my head, “This was you Dan.” One last brotherly prank on me.

I called my mom, who was anxiously waiting with my step-dad and father 10 miles away in Crozet. When they arrived, my mother leapt from the car crying, “Thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus!” as she squeezed and shook me tight.

“Out of gas at the very last,” we all laughed.

After refueling, they followed me down the mountain all the way home. There was a “Welcome Home” sign and my dog, Jezebel, was going nuts from the window. I couldn’t wait to snuggle with her.

Famished from the long ride we all went to Fardowners to celebrate and shared their epic hippie wings and tachos. It was good to be home.

Cheers brother. You are my hero, and I kiss your spirit.

2012-09-22_17-34-31_483.jpg
    2012-09-22_18-01-09_382.jpg
    2012-09-22_18-01-23_695.jpg
    2012-09-23_07-25-30_884.jpg
    191553_4620585198504_1411894921_o.jpg
    204555_4620570638140_455307849_o.jpg
    241423_4620600038875_1080517439_o.jpg
    244201_4620570798144_879822181_o.jpg
    258129_4620571438160_255205091_o.jpg 456215_4620587998574_1349817043_o.jpg
  6. ShOqUePoT

ShOqUePoT GS Pot

Oddometer:
  7. Milosh

Milosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worth every second of my time, this was.
  8. SBKBee

SBKBee BEE/CNU

Oddometer:
    Ten years on. Godspeed Dan, and thank you for the story Anna.
    frank wheelbarrow and 2wingdoc05 like this.
  9. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for sharing Anna. I've been with this report since the beginning, and it has been worth the wait.
    2wingdoc05 and staticPort like this.
  10. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for completing your epic adventure.
    Loved every page.
    2wingdoc05 likes this.
  11. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow...you finished. I haven't looked at this thread in years. Wow again!
    Thanks for sharing your life. God speed to you in your future adventures.
  12. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe your first post was started exactly on October 2nd, 2012, exactly 8 years ago today. Such riding, such writing! Thanks for sharing all this heartache with us. Best wishes to you and your family.
    2wingdoc05 and Milosh like this.
  13. rustychevelle

rustychevelle n00b

Oddometer:
    Still one of the best ride reports on the site. Well written, great pictures and an honest look inside of a lovely young lady. Hope all is well and your adventure continues!
    2wingdoc05, Milosh, kokemill and 2 others like this.
  14. 230Rocket

230Rocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Truly one of the best stories ever written on here and deserving to be in the epic section. Your brother would be most proud and your spirits will stay strong together.

Bloody cool bike as well!
    ❤️
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    That's some serious luggage! On a vintage Yamaha to boot! :eekers
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easy now. That "vintage" Yamaha was my first bought-new street bike!
  17. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Only a matter of time.

Oddometer:
    I had a 1986 Yamaha XT600 and a 1982 Yamaha 550 Vision. :D
  18. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to the end. Thank you! Hope you are doing well.
  19. jachew

jachew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your journey and hope all is well with you and your family.
  20. fishslapr

fishslapr Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As so many have already said, thanks for sharing you with us. It was reading this thread (back seven yrs ago!) that convinced me to get back into riding dirt. so thanks Anna for that as well.