Virginia to Alaska and back on an '86 Yamaha Radian

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ruffntuff, Oct 2, 2012.

1. pete3

pete3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anna, thank you so much for sharing your most touching story! Even more so, for finishing. I hope you and your family are healing. I think your brother would not want it any other way.

Eighteen years ago I lost my little Sis. She was just thirty-eight at that time and literally died of a broken heart. The only good thing out of her passing is that I can always ask her to put things into perspective for me, which she easily does, every time.

Again, thank you most kindly and best wishes for you and your family.
  2. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for taking the time to write this.
    an awesome heartfelt read.

leon
  3. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you finished this. Thanks . May Dan rest in peace. I am very sorry for your loss.

Having three kids of my own - It really hit me like a ton of bricks that your mom cried and thanked Jesus when you returned.
  4. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Thanks Anna. I hope you publish this. That Radian proves you don't need some macho knobby tired monster to have adventure beyond Starbucks. Thanks for taking us along on this adventure and soul finding.
  5. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Anna..... your Momma is not the only one to shed tears at the completion of the ride, I think it was the symbolism that " it is complete " that got me, knowing you and your brother had talked and dreamt about it..... well that and your dogs excitement of your return.

Thank you for sharing your story, and yes....thank you Jesus, for delivering you safely home.

Dar
    aDave and vtwin like this.
  6. CaribooBC

CaribooBC life is an adventure

Oddometer:
    What a meaningful accounting of your physical and mental travels. This has to be one of the most touching stories that I have ever read. Anna. My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family. You picked a perfect machine for your travels. A UJM, at the pinnacle of the development of its type, from then on motorcycles have become much more specialized. Could we please have this thread stickied, it deserves to be at the top.
  7. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Powerful prose
  8. aDave

aDave Lovin' Life!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your honesty and courage to continue writing after all these years. I also was moved by your mothers rejoicing at your return as only a parent can... Your dog’s response is also from a true heart...doggies know good folk.

May good blessings continue on your journey of life.
    With much respect,
    Dave
    frank wheelbarrow and Uke like this.
  9. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Respect for true grit and love for a brother. Thank You.
  10. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anna, on the one hand, the sense of closure I feel is really awesome, and on the other, I, like all the other readers, wish the story would just keep going. Fine, fine writing with searing emotional honesty. And your own story, I hope, has gone on, bringing you all the joy you so richly deserve! Thanks again!
    AVPU and Milosh like this.
  11. treebrain

treebrain Bobby Lynch

Oddometer:
    While out on a Virginia ride last weekend, not far from Ruffntuff, I thought, "whatever happened to that girl on the Radian who rode to Alaska?" This tale has some staying power.
    frank wheelbarrow, DCrider and Milosh like this.
  12. TheWhingnut

TheWhingnut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    absolutely a great RR and thank you for sharing this story with us all. I truly hope this helped you find closure or at least let you cope with the loss and pain.
  13. CutterBill

CutterBill I hate motorcycles

Oddometer:
    Epic, indeed. Thank you, Anna.
  14. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy crap!! I got through this in a few days.

What an emotional roller coaster of a trip...

Congrats on your successful “trip” but more importantly, on your healing.

I’d buy your book(s) whenever you get around to getting this on paper.

May God continue to richly bless you!!
    frank wheelbarrow and Milosh like this.
  15. avtechinbtown

avtechinbtown Um... yeah I think so.

Oddometer:
    What a great ride. So sorry for your loss. I love the fact that I always felt like your brother was with you...you know he was. I know he was. I just read this RR. I didn't start it back when you took off initially.
    I just opened up the thread and started reading because it said Radian. Some of my first road miles were put on my brothers Radian. And my first real crash was on his Radian. And the first time I bought beer I was riding the Radian..(16).. pretty sure that fact that I rode up on that bike and carried my helmet in made the purchase happen.
    Anyway that was a great RR. Now I am going to sit down and plan my own solo ride for next year. And then plan a ride for the year after that which my son can go with me on his bike...year 2 will be so much better. He is a boy scout and loves the rough camping stuff.
    Keep your head up. You always have a place to stay here if you need it. Bloomington indiana