Virginia to California: 6,500 miles of adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by riderjacob, Jul 6, 2019.

1. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    Nice report!, you are HARDCORE!
    riderjacob likes this.
  2. riderjacob

riderjacob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see that you're from Washoe Valley. Even though Valley of Fire State Park is about 8 hours from you, its definitely worth the trip!!
  3. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Great RR! It was good you took the time to do it now. Life puts some demands on you that make these decisions tough. Glad you had a memorable trip!
    riderjacob likes this.
  4. rjnutt

rjnutt Desert tortoise

Oddometer:
    It is nice, been there a few times. Most people that visit Vegas miss out on seeing a lot of cool areas by never venturing off of the strip.
  5. riderjacob

riderjacob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was out there around the time of EDC Los Vegas and Overland Rally West so it was completely packed. I had to hang my hammock at a day use area under a canopy. I'm so bummed that i didn't get more pictures because that was my favorite stop.

I actually didn't know about the overland rally at the time and I was disappointed that I didn't attend (turns out that they offer free admission for people on trips like myself) but luckily Overland Rally East is coming up soon and it's about an hour from me.
    rjnutt likes this.
  6. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Yeah, you need to think about some shorter days. Enjoy your new surrounding some as you go.
    Looking for ward to your next trip!
    riderjacob likes this.
  7. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to reading this :)
    riderjacob likes this.
  8. RedUly

Oddometer:
    I predict that is not your last long trip. :)

Thank you for writing this up. I did a similar trip when I turned 40, about 12 years ago. It changed my life and my perspective on distance. You were smart enough to start 20 years before me.

You're tough. Most people would never consider riding 700+ miles in a day. Let me invite you to check out the Iron Butt Association.

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/
  9. riderjacob

riderjacob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This changed my perspective on distance as well! About a month after the trip, I rode my motorcycle 10 hours up to Maine to visit family and to me it felt like a “small trip”. I’m hoping to head out to the Pacific North West sometime. Maybe even fly out and purchase a bike and ride it back.

I wasn’t originally intending on doing such long days but I’m quite ambitious and I was excited to reach my goals of the locations I was going. In the future I’m going to make solid plans for shorter days. Like 6 hours of travel with PLENTY of stops and detours. I’ll still put in a bunch of miles but I think more relaxed goals will allow me to enjoy the journey a little more.

I actually didn’t find out about the iron butt until after the trip and I don’t intend on putting myself through the torture of some of those challenges haha! For me I don’t think some of those distances would be safe to do all in one day.
  10. RedUly

Oddometer:
    Get your passport. Having dinner in Toronto is easier than riding to Maine :)
  11. riderjacob

riderjacob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, I'm hoping to make a trip there once the weather warms up. Niagara Falls and 1 or 2 days in Toronto.
    RedUly likes this.