Virginia's Colonial Parkway

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BvilleBud, Nov 12, 2020.

1. BvilleBud

BvilleBud Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wife and I took off two days in conjunction with Veteran's day and went to Colonial Williamsburg & Virginia Beach (6 days total). I felt visiting a Yorktown would be a fitting way to honor veterans such as myself on our holiday. Honestly, we could have spent more than a week at each location, but it was a great trip. We took 66 from the Valley to Rt. 17 through Warrenton and then Rt. 30 through West Point to Williamsburg. Leaving Williamsburg a few days later we took the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry to Surry VA and then Rt. 10 through Smithfield VA then on to Virginia Beach. I love this route, it wanders through the "real Virginia". At one point on the colonial parkway a squirrel darted in front of us and a hawk nearly crashed into the motorcycle in an attempt to make dinner out of the squirrel.

The weather was perfect for our ride down and the time at both locations, but the skies opened up on the ride home. Due to time restraints we took I-95 back to Fredericksburg and it was an adventure in itself. The trip home was through blinding rain, we passed crash after crash and dodged tractor trailers cutting us off. Actually we felt very sure footed on the Concours.

Two videos, one of Colonial Parkway from Williamsburg to Yorktown, one of Rudee Inlet in VA Beach.

B10Dave likes this.
  2. Dennyf

Dennyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I lived in Hampton Roads for a spell, including commuting to DC from time to time, 17 to 301. Lots of nice riding in that area.
  3. Canyonman5

Canyonman5 n00b

Oddometer:
    I moved to the 17 & 301 area not too long ago. Any ADV riding suggestions? So far my ADV riding has only been Fort AP Hill since I can get on that facility. Not much dirt 'round!
  4. RotesHengst

RotesHengst Adventurer

Oddometer:

May I suggest VA RT 14, take RT 721 from south of Bowling Green, tie in to 14 at St Sephens Church it will dump you out eventually North of Gloucester .

Nice country route, enjoy.
    Dennyf likes this.
  5. Dennyf

Dennyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly, no. Not saying there isn't any, but I was limited to cruisers then. Lots of country roads, but all paved in my experience.