1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Visa info for Vietnam

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Doogle, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to SE Asia 2/14/17. Finding info for visas has been difficult. Sites don't show total costs. And types of visas aren't explained very well. I finally found a good link. See below:

http://www.vietnam-immigration.net/...-visa-on-arrival-vietnam-loose-leaf-visa.html

The Visa On Arrival is the cheapest. The only negative I see is, at the airport (and you must fly into one of the 3 accepted airports) you must find the counter that takes your official papers and converts to a visa. This line could be long or short. Then you must get into the immigration's line and get your stamp. I think you also need to have a second application form to give them. Or you will waste more time filling it out and getting in the line again. You must also pay the "stamping fee." This is paid in cash. It is accepted in USD. Vietnam money is accepted. But you wouldn't want to mess with exchange rate fluctuations.

The loose leaf visa will bypass the above line. It is an official piece of paper (loose leaf) that gives permission to immigration to stamp your passport. I think Vietnam is the only country to use this type of visa. You must keep it in your passport. I think it must be returned when you leave the country. The stamping fee is prepaid. You can enter Vietnam at any port. Not just the 3 approved airports.

The full visa through the embassy is much more expensive. And I don't see much advantage using it, other than avoiding the above mentioned extra counter visit and not loosing the loose leaf paper.

I hope I have all this correct. And I hope it helps other inmates in search.
  2. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Your making it harder than it has to be.
    The 3 times I went to Vietnam I got my visa through the embassy at home or in an ajoining country. Embassy price is official if you find a cheap price on line I'd be wary about handing over my passport/details to an anonymous website.
    I've learned it pays to have your paperwork in order and it's easier to do before you get there.
  3. Doogle

Doogle Do it while you can Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gavo, are you aware of the price difference for the different visas?
    The embassy fee for a 30 day multi entry is $125. Then the cost of the service ( maybe $59) and the mailing cost-$22 was my quote. $206.
    I can get a Visa on Arrival for 30 day multi entry from EVisa.com.vn for $62. $12 service fee + $50 stamping fee. With a VOA you don't send your visa away. Only a copy of it.
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Ok mine was about $95 from memory and it was single entry. Multiple entries just complicate things.But that was a few years ago maybe they've gone up. But I'm just stating my experiance.
    You go with what you want, I relise now I should not have bothered.