1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Visibility

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Rella, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I traced a few threads, but still have questions about which auxiliary lights will make me more visible to other motorists in daylight. Opinions abound (imagine that), even among this group (imagine that, too), as whether LED lights in white (full spectrum), amber (fog), or yellow are more conspicuous to other drivers. Certainly, aiming and intensity are important; any updated information to share?

I ride a 750GS, so it is not a big bike (not a lot of visual presence), wear a high visibility (bright yellow) jacket; looking to be seen.

Thanks.
  2. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    For conspicuity opt for a spot beam and not a flood beam. Opposite if wanting to see at night.
  3. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i don't know either so i covered both the bases
    denalis on top clearwaters on the bottom. i can honestly say that i haven't been able to complete the entire "don't you fuckin' dare" sentence before a car that looks like it might pull in front of me stops.

[​IMG]
  4. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    What not to do: Lights that blind, then the won't see you.

If you use auxiliary lights, opt for lights as far apart as possible, otherwise it just looks like one light.

Amber works far better then white, because almost all cars these days have yellow/white, white or white/blue lights. so amber makes you stand out more.

On my previous bike I had amber aux lights. On this bike (bmw f850GSA) I do not deem it necessary. Light is very bright and good to see.
  5. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    loco.jpg It seems that a lot of riders make the mistake of installing lights up near the turn signals where they tend to wash out the signal lights. For conspicuity it is best to have the lights down low forming a triangle with the headlight. Google an image of an oncoming railway locomotive and you will see that they arrange the lights this way because studies show that drivers pay greater attention.
    Tigershark48, Loutre and Kwafo like this.
  6. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put an aftermarket LED headlight on my 2010 800, the daytime running light is in the old regular beam spot, and the regular beam is now in the smaller high beam spot. I bought some cheap yellow/amber vinyl on amazon and put a few layers over my headlight guard where the DRL is. I'm fairly happy and it only cost me a few bucks in materials and half an hour of time but I'm hoping will make a big difference in visibility/conspicuousness (is that a word?)

0F091949-19B7-42DE-974E-820C2D24D0E4.jpeg
    NoVa Rider and dpike like this.
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i would have guessed no, but..

conspicuousness - the state of being conspicuous. salience, saliency, strikingness - the state of being salient. 2. conspicuousness - high visibility. noticeability, noticeableness, obviousness, patency - the property of being easy to see and understand.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  8. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    spencermarkd likes this.
  9. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_1080.jpg

I typically run with just the two Ericas at 10% and the Skene PBs in the hand guards.

The point is to make yourself look more like a car, and the triangle pattern doesn't hurt with being noticed.

No issue with being seen with this JVB setup. . .. YMMV, but in my experience the yellow covers simply stand out.

And for all of the extra lights, when you need them, wowsers. . .. :yikes
  10. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Ran these LEDs on the Sherpa, they worked well too!

image_zpsfrw2kvad.JPEG
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Surely some of those strobe?
  12. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Clearwater does allow that as programmable function. . .. :lol3

I think JVB has some video of such tomfoolery. :D

About a minute in. . ..

shuswap1 likes this.
  13. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. @NoVa Rider I like your set-up and, yes, the yellow does show up well. I have read here and elsewhere that the 'triangle' pattern is effective in creating a wider, car-like (or as @bmwroadsterca notes..."train-like").
  14. NoVa Rider

Oddometer:
    Glad to help. I ride it every day. And I coach that in MSF on weekends.

Part of it is to look more like a car — two headlights. Another part is that drivers are hard wired to equate the triangle pattern with danger. Think road warning signs. And I suppose, trains!

Ride safe. :thumb
  15. suprbst

suprbst Did you see the size of that CHICKEN?!

Oddometer:
    What is it with BMWs and lots of lights?

My F800GS:

[​IMG]

Maybe I should start another thread (or just search), but do those who like to add lots of lights to their bikes also have a thing for the latest fun in flashlights? Been like that since I was a kid. :thumb
  16. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The lower Aux lights are Cyclops Aurora's with the DRL option. Brightness is set to 10% on the white channel and 30% on the amber channel in this picture. The Amber rings modulate during the day. At night they step up to 40% and 70%, controlled with an ezCAN and will both go 100% with hi beams and flash with the horn.
    The upper set are Weiser 2-in-1 indicator inserts.

Attached Files:

Rella likes this.
  17. Kwafo

Kwafo Two wheeler

Oddometer:
    those cyclops are on my wishlist, amber for conspicuity en white to see at night
  18. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the things I like about them is that what I see is different from how others see me. While riding the bike I just notice the extra light from the white leds, but looking at me from a distance the amber adds visibility day or night that stands out from the white light.
    Kwafo likes this.
  19. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
    The lower humidity and higher altitude in the western US makes for lots of bright sunshine. There can be a lot of glare on the windshields of approaching vehicle, including motorcycles, from late morning through late afternoon on a sunny day. Bright glare overpowers a single headlight, even when on high beam; auxiliary lights arranged in a horizontal array on either side of the headlight don't add much to the motorcycle's visibility. All you see is an extremely bright "blob" without a distinct silhouette...judging the distance of an approaching vehicle can be challenging on a bright day.

As noted by several others, auxiliary lights mounted in a triangle pattern makes the light more easily seen by approaching traffic. In my opinion, amber or yellow add to the visual distinction, being visible even when there is glare off the windshield. I am not sure how effective amber or yellow is at night, but these color lens seems to help make bikes more conspicuous in daylight.
    Kwafo likes this.
  20. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
    I saw "selective yellow" lens on the Denali website; have asked them for help understanding the distinction between amber and selective yellow.
    DENALI Electronics likes this.