1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Visibility

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Rella, Aug 13, 2020.

1. rcb78

rcb78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having grown up in the central valley (Fresno) and lived with the Tule fog for decades, amber lights are visible MUCH farther away that white lights. Yellow was better than white but still not a good as amber, old Mercedes had yellow fog lights. Sadly (I guess) real Tule fog is becoming more and more rare as the climate changes, it's not nearly the same now as it was 20 or 30 years ago when I couldn't even see the streetlight in front of my house from my doorstep. When people in the Bay Area talk about fog now, I find it really hard to not laugh, they have no idea.
    Rella likes this.
  2. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey @Rella -- The Amber and Selective Yellow lenses are both going to make your bike more visible to those coming at you. The Amber lenses are going to match your turn signals, and the Selective Yellow are going to stand out as different. It's always a good idea to check DOT for the area you live in--some places in the world do not allow front facing lights the same color as turn signals. If that is the case for you, Selective Yellow is the way to go. Either way, they both filter out blue light to increase visibility in fog and rain.

Hope this helps!

Your Denali Design Team
    www.DenaliElectronics.com
    drneo likes this.
  3. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
    Thanks Denali.
    DENALI Electronics likes this.
  4. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
    So...Denali...how about a hybrid lenses with yellow margins (vertical flutes on edges) and a clear central area (spot). Best of all options for visibility and night lighting, or simply a mess?
    DENALI Electronics likes this.
  5. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    -also ride with a high vis colored helmet. It's like a flag the dune buggy riders use.
    -consider the skene dimmer that lets you dim the aux lights and automatically change brightness when switching between high and low (main) beam.
    https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Auxiliary-Light-Dimmers-c22720603

Visibility was a key concern on my F800GSA before I departed on a RTW trip. I upgraded the headlight to LED bulbs (25w and 60w high) and had the factory BMW aux lights (came with the bike and proven design- important when far from home). I added the Skene module, and also changed to the BMW factory LED turn signals (sourced from Europe). Also, not so important in developed countries, but the aux lights let oncoming drivers in your lane (ie, passing oncoming traffic), that you are not the local little 30mph scooter. 80k miles on the trip, and zero problems or bulb replacements with any of my lights
    Rella likes this.
  6. Rella

Rella Brakes for coffee

Oddometer:
  7. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Amber and Selective Yellow lenses do not greatly diminish the light's quality for night riding, but, we always like hearing what people are interested in, or think they might be interested in--feedback from actual users and riders is important to us.

Thanks!
    Your Denali Design Team
    www.DenaliElectronics.com
  8. bakercdb

bakercdb Still searching

Oddometer:
    @Rella , I forgot about mentioning reflectors on the side cases. I started out with some nice Grote 4302 and 4303 reflectors (from Summit Racing).
    But, I later added reflective tape as the miles and spills added up. BTW, the BMW cases are quite malleable as I pounded out dents more times than I can remember. I did bend the right OEM mounting rail/tank guard giving the right case and inward tilt as you can maybe see in the photo, but the release feature protected my frame from spills.

Attached Files: