Visions of Motorcycle Loveliness! (RR)

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by HayDuchessLives, Aug 15, 2010.

1. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    There is one thing more lovely than my single DR; and that is two DRs together, which truly creates visions of motorcycle loveliness! (No, I haven't been drinking.) I am sharing some photos of these visions of loveliness.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    When RackemCrackem of Cordova, who also owns a lovely DR, said he was coming to Anchorage for a couple days, I invited him to dinner. Of course I had ulterior motives. :evil I knew my lovely bike would be very happy to ride with another DR, since they are Dependable and Reliable (and Delightful and Rambunctious) and don’t break down like some of the other bikes we have gone on rides with, especially KLRs. :rofl
    <o:p></o:p>
    After eating a delicious dinner, Rackem said something about being delighted to ride with me. At least that’s how I remember it, after twisting his arm. :nod We decided to ride over Hatcher Pass the next day if the weather was decent (i.e. drizzling but not pouring down rain). It was bright and sunny when I woke up so I excitedly got ready for our ride. I was looking forward to riding on dirt again.
    Along with going over Hatcher Pass, I suggested riding to Talkeetna to visit the infamous House of Beaver, and possibly riding partway up Petersville Road if I felt well enough to go that far. We left Anchorage and headed north into the blue skies over the awesome Talkeetna Mountains. Boy, riding in sunshine sure brightened my spirits and outlook on life! :thumb
    Here I am, dancing for farkles at the Government Peak parking lot located alongside the Hatcher Pass road. My dancing worked as I actually received a new (free) farkle from Rackem. Whoohoo! Check out those LOVELY bikes. :rayof

[​IMG]
    Here are a couple of photos taken at the top of Hatcher Pass. This road was actually in the best condition I’ve seen it, so it must have been recently graded. The fall colors were barely starting to change, so in 2 or 3 weeks the colors will be absolutely stunning up here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of our bikes in front of the Wildflower Café in friendly and lively downtown Talkeetna. I didn’t get a picture of our meal, but the food was delicious. We sat outside and chatted, basking in sunny warmth while watching all the tourists wander past. Some tourists asked if we watched the movie "Wild Hogs," as for some reason we reminded them of the movie. :dunno

[​IMG]
    Look at how these beautiful flowers enhanced the loveliness of my bike! There is nothing ugly in this photo. I’m sure even AKCharlie would agree with this. :poser :oscar

[​IMG]
    Rackem and I had a thoroughly delightful visit with Eric and his father Jim at the House of Beaver. They were happy to see us and were hospitable and gave us a tour. Unfortunately Eric didn’t have any HOB stickers, but he’ll mail one to us. If you’re ever in the neighborhood, be sure and stop by, as they will sure make you feel welcome! And you, too, can pose by this cute sign.

[​IMG]
    Since it had gotten kind of late, we decided to call it quits and ride home, incredibly without getting rained on all day. I have been lucky and had great weather on some of my rides this summer, including the Haul Road and Dempster Hwy rides. I sure hope this helps dispel all those untrue comments about my DR being ugly and a curse. :augie :thumbup
    Well…. actually, hmmm… dare I admit this? Unfortunately, while the other DR on this ride didn’t have any problems, the owner had a slight accident today, the day after the ride. OOPS. Luckily no hospital visit was required. I’m sure it had nothing to do with my bike or I. :kurt :dunno
  2. AK NIMROD

AK NIMROD CHEECHAKO ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    great pictures
  3. One Eye Mike

One Eye Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Duchess,
    I saw you on Int. and C street on my way home this afternoon.
    I beeped hello. Glad you got a few miles on this weekend. :D
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Amy, I suggest reducing your daily intake of opiates by 50%. It is beginning to adversely impact your vision....
  5. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Your right there's nothing in that pic ugly, especially when you overlook the ugly DR Loquita with no personality. :poser:ksteve I think the oop's was a delayed reaction. Your Loquita strikes again. I won't mention the other victum you informed me of.

Glad you had a good ride and are feeling better.

:hide
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is now apparent what the "DR" stands for.

Duplicate Repugnance.

:hide

:rofl :rofl
  7. BlueRider

BlueRider Stromin' Alaska

Oddometer:
    Peter Egan of Cycle World "Leanings" writes of the DR650 Appreciation Society in the latest issue. I guess there are few more fans out there.
  8. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    I like this part! :lol3 Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all.

Thank you for sharing, Mark H.
  9. CappyRidesAgain

CappyRidesAgain Nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    Im canceling my subscription!

:lol3
  10. AlaskaSolstice

AlaskaSolstice Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HayDuchess,
    I just saw your DR in the parking lot as I rode by on my way home. It was obviously yours because it <strike>was lovely</strike> had your other bike strapped on the back. But you were nowhere to be seen.
    Gary
  11. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:

"Here I am, dancing for farkles at the Government Peak parking lot located alongside the Hatcher Pass road. My dancing worked as I actually received a new (free) farkle from Rackem. Whoohoo! Check out those LOVELY bikes. :rayof "

Hayduchess,

You know that if you have to dance for farkles, they aren't really free, are they? Seeing your happy dance was well worth the price of admission, though! :wink:

[​IMG]
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks for a fun day, Amy! My appreciation for DR's was at least doubled by our ride together. Even if all we have is a DR mutual admiration society, it works for me!

And to all those Duplicate Repugnance messengers of misinformation, ride your own rides, suckers! :D

12. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Sure glad I don't have to carry another bike (back up) on my KLR. I guess with a DR it's good to have a back up. :wings:tough:ksteve
  13. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Some friends and I went for a bicycle ride after work, but we only rode for about an hour due to the rain. Then we went to see the interesting movie at the Bear Tooth about the mountain bike race along the Continental Divide, from Banff down to Mexico. We saw Blue Rider before we headed over there and he had parked right next to my two bikes. I'm sure he wanted to admire my lovely DR and my "nice rack" up close. :rofl
  14. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Jack, there you go again, making dastardly comments that distinctly diminish your increasingly diminuitive debonairness. Is your main squeeze and Guardian Angel Maggie still guarding your bikes and the entrance to your home? I think it's about time to ride with the Geezers again and see what sort of mishap happens to their bikes. I'll have to re-prioritize my schedule. :thumb

I also think AKBeemer's bike might need a visit and a big hug from my DR and I. What's this about taking too many opiates? If, by chance, I ever might have grudgingly consumed illegal substances back in my younger days, it sure wasn't opiates. And I'm sure I didn't have much fun. :D

Mark H: which Wild Hog do you think I would be? I know, whichever one is the goofiest. :getiton

:wave
  15. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    "The Northern Lights have Seen Strange Sights..."
    Duchess thought the warning sign was someone's joke. After all... T-rex. Ha!
    But she soon learned that Kodiak bears were not the scariest critter around when the irritating, clattering racket noise from a DR650 engine brought out real fear. :eek1
    The crafty Ravens began to gather for the meat scraps that their long distant ancestor was sure to leave.

[​IMG]
  16. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    "Clattering racket", indeed! I'm mightily impressed that you were hiding in the bushes at just the right moment to capture that scene with your camera, Tom S. I wasn't going to mention the T. Rex encounter but now that the cat is out of the bag (or Tom has come out of hiding), here's the full story...

When that T. Rex lunged toward HayDee's lovely, non-clattering DR, Loquita's powerful and smooth motor had been turned off for some time. Just after it bit into Loquita, I dashed to my bike and started the Kawi Durga with an earth rumbling roar that shamed and humiliated that dinosaur into submission.

It couldn't help but drop Loquita with a stunned and apologetic look. Before slinking off with it's tail between it's legs, the T. Rex informed us that due to poor eyesight, it mistook HayDee's bike for one of those treacherous and hateful Buells that it so despises.

I can only assume that the sound of two smooth thumpers in close proximity confused the poor creature, as well, into thinking there was an obnoxious v-twin Buell in the vicinity.

In any event, those crafty and kind ravens helped reassemble Loquita in no time and we continued on our ride without further trouble from prehistoric beasts of any kind, be they animal or motorcycle.

Tom S., where were you and your camera for the rest of the story?...this smacks of yellow journalism to me...harumph!

And if you don't like this Ibuprofen induced fantasy, go have a better one of your own! :rofl
  17. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom S,

You got me good - I LOVE IT! :clap :clap :bow :bow

Great creativity and attention to detail. It even looks like my front tire is mangled in T Rex's mouth. Next time I'll pay more attention to the signs warning me of danger!

I still think you have too much free time on your hands. Maybe you should spend more time playing "rub-a-dub dubby" in the tub with your yellow rubber duckies. :D

Cheers! You're the man, well, except when you wear your yellow ducky outfit. :super
  18. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Crappy - I see you're still a sassy young whippersnapper. I have a suggestion of where you can forcefully insert (shove) your canceled subscription!

:wings
  19. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep it up, Duchess, suffer the consequences. :evil
    Hey, they don't call me Whiplash fer nothin 'ya know. Heh, heh, heh. :whip
    I've been pretty easy on you, and your bike...so far. :evil
    Just ask Fighter. :pot

Yeah, I saw ya in the Tudor Rd. traffic jam today. Carrying your spare transportation. :lol3

PS: nice job on the pic.
  20. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    For everybody's edification who teases me, I don't carry my bicycle on my "nice rack" for spare transportation purposes. :ddog It's so I can meet friends after work and ride bicycles without driving my cage. It's fun carrying my bicycle to different trailheads to go pedaling!

I visited two motorcycle shops at lunch yesterday (looking for another loose screw replacement) and some guys were so intrigued they had to take photos as they had "never seen anything like that." And it's not because they thought my bike is ugly; they liked my rack. :lol2 I'm sure judging by their big smiles they were kind of laughing at me...

I know I'll suffer consequences for teasing you, but you have had lots of fun doctoring up photos of me, probably starting with the Grannies Gone Bad photo and my moose impression. Can it get much worse? :confused