Visit Romania

Discussion in 'Europe' started by albany23, Jan 9, 2012.

1. albany23

albany23 Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I am a Romanian motorcyclist. I don't suppose you know much about my country, but you better start browsing.
    I am sure that by now Romania is known for its wonderful Carpathian Mountains.
    RedBullRomaniancs (the competition where Cyril Depres cried and said he can't continue) is held every year around Sibiu, in the centre of Transylvania, in the Northern part of the country.Usually in June, but check the website for specifics.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zvlBMMs5Z4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Close to Sibiu you'll find this road, called Transalpina. This is an ancient Roman road, called 'Roman Strategic Corridor IV'. Over two thousands years later, this amazing road is open again, but only in the summer months.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s-QfznNq20Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, close by, you'll find The Transfagarasan Pass, lately made famous by Clarkson and the Happy Bunch in Top Gear. Jeremy named it ' the most beautiful road in the world' And he knows one or two. Here's a preview:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OLAtcrB0GZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So plan a trip down here this summer! Try to stay for the Romaniancs 2012, and mix that with all these amazing roads. They are all in a 150 km radius, so you can use Sibiu or Sebes as a base. I am available for any questions or advice.
    Enjoy the clips!
    Mihai
  2. 420

420 Sweden

Oddometer:
    Nice PR for your beutiful country. Been there, and did just that, and loved it.
    Will be back for more and I recommend everyone to go there. Good hotel is easy to find in every city, small and big, so no need to bring tent, and all that, as we did. Travel light and ride smaller roads.

/Stefan
  3. attila

attila Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Salut, albany23
    Great idea with the clips, is the cream, a motorist can wait for in Romania.
    Let's see how other fellows will react. Great job!:thumb
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a Brit and lived in Campina for 5 years 7 years ago, at that time I had Polaris Raze and it wad road legal. What a truly great country, great people, great countryside, simple and delicious food. I would move back tomorrow if I got a chance. Once this place gets the attention it deserves I am sure it will be packed with adventure riders, there are so many tracks to take off nearly every road and no stupid laws to stop you. It is ahuge country with nearly no one living in it.
    kantuckid likes this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of early planning for a trip centered on "The Balkans" and given that Romania is a central location for the countries I hope to travel, I'm finding that air travel there offsets much of the rental savings for a self guided tour. Romania is less expensive for the machine, food & lodging but seems to be off the beaten path slightly for air tics?
  6. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sofia is good for tickets, close to Romania, and Turkey, going back next year, it's not to be missed
  7. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I am excited because after five years of "maybe this year will be the year...", we are planning to go to Romania this fall :clap
    Ivyleague likes this.
  8. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make sure you go in the summertime in Romanian not sure how that works with your fall, otherwise it is cold, -10 to -20 cold, snow ice, summer is beautiful, winter is a hell on a bike.
  9. mADVta

mADVta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think temperatures can be fine during late spring and early fall, though there can be some snow (I've met some in the beginning of May last year). But you bring a warmer sleeping bag and and a thermos, and you're set :)

The worse thing is that the most popular, must-see-at-least-once roads (like Transalpina, Transfagarasan) can be closed, so I would mind that, when planning the trip and google the current opening times for these roads (this changes from year to year).

It is possible to pass the road blockades with the bike if you're cunning enough :D:D But even if you do it, most probably you won't be able to drive across the whole Transalpina/Transfagarasan (huge snowdrifts, rocks and trees lying down across the road etc)
    DantesDame likes this.
  10. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Well, we have the last two weeks of September booked off from work. We'll do what we can and see what we can. Romania is not the only country on the itinerary, so last-minute change of plans due to weather is not unexpected.
  11. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    Heading to Romania on Friday to see Redbull Romaniacs next week then ride around the country for a while :)
    DantesDame likes this.
  12. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hej all,
    probably I´m totally wrong - apart from the fact Romanis is a nice country at all - but keep in mind, in case of any trouble with the law you might get in a much worse scenario than home. Or elsewhere around the world.
    At least it happend to me. I was involved in a minor crash, a child was injured slightly, i lost my driver license. The license has/had to remain at the court (or elsewhere) until the case is closed.
    The case is open since 2011, no more action in that. The license sits still over there. Not a clue what might happen in the future. I´m not guilty accordantly our law or human sanity (but who will decide on that?). The police officer said to me, you´re lucky, that´s not a gipsy.
    How to ride home with no license across europe - even the embassy hadn´t any serious hint. That´s the local law. The person concerned is allowed to ride in Romania with a paper called dovada (what confirmes the one has had a license), which must be refreshed after two weeks at the court, nonstop along the time the case takes.
    As I said, maybe I´m wrong, but that happend to me. Maybe today it´s way different, but that´s the current situation.
    Btw. when i reached home, i got a replacement to my license. I ride with that on, no problem.
    Keep clear from any accident.
    I met a german who was involved (just witness) in a fatal deadly crash, the guy was not allowed to leave RO by 3 years. Then the case was losed, but he lost his wife, his job and I guess a bit money. He wasn´t the causer. I´m not too.
    dooby likes this.
  13. mADVta

mADVta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why is that? I've always heard from Romanians they don't like gipsies themselves

I've read on embassy pages that you can get back your licence from the Romanian police station in 15 days (provided you will pay the ticket you earned and you will declare to leave Romania in 24 hours and not drive in Romania for the period stated on the ticket). Otherwise they send your licence your embassy in Romania and embassy should forward it to where the licence was released. Though, I don't know if the same applies if you are suspected of causing an accident, in which people got injured...

Did they take his passport or refused him to pass by the border? At some smaller border crossings they just peek inside your passport and tell you to go (especially when you ride a motorbike) :D So I'm just like... What? :uhoh
  14. Dirk S.

Dirk S. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi mADVta,
    Romanians don´t like the gipsies, sure. Hit a gipsy with your bike and you´ll be in huge trouble. Don´t stop, ride on (if you can)! Save your life!

I didn´t get any ticket, have to pay nothing. I´m forced to wait til the case is done at the court (didn´t get any paperwork from any court yet). I can ride as long as i want in RO, just needs update of the dovada every two weeks. Basicly I´m suspected causing the accident and someone got (slightly) injured. Don´t know where the license sits. Sure in RO, otherwise it would be returned to me.
    a.f.a.k. that´s the only country, where that´s legal.
    What happend to the other german, no idea. I guess he was pressed to show up at the police day by day to ensure he´ll be on place when needed.

Just be careful. But - RO is beautyful and exotic.
  15. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep they do take your driving license, I had the same, I had a UAE driving license as well as my euro so I did not give it much thought at the time.
  16. mADVta

mADVta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On second thought, I think now I know why he told so... Was just curious about others expierience : )

That's strange as they are in EU, so I quess they should've adjust a little to general EU politics and should send it back, so I was just wondering... Maybe a hole in the system :p

Generally I think it's best to not have any accidents anywhere driving anything : ) (And so I wish to us all :beer)