Visiting Colorado in February. Worth bringing a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by MCCOYBOY, Nov 10, 2019 at 7:21 AM.

1. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're planning on visiting my wife's family in Denver for 4 weeks in February and will be driving out for this visit. I was debating on bringing either my KTM 950 ADV or my street legal YZ250FX. Worth it or no?
  2. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe, it can be super :vardy or :jkam from one day to the next so if you have patience :dunno.
    The higher in altitude you go the more chance of residual snow/ice on the ground/roads.
    That's off season for motorcycles so drivers are not motorcycle aware :dirtdog.
    Monitor the weather before you go :hmmmmm. And ask your wife's family for conditions before you go.
  3. Krelon

Krelon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The mountains are too cold and snowy in Feb. However, we get many nice sunny days that warm up in the afternoons. However, the Front Range is a madhouse of traffic so you'd need to ride along the foothills or plains to get away from the some of the traffic. I'd bring the 950 if you're going to bring either since most all of your riding will be on roads. Better yet, there's lots of hiking in the foothills that accessible year round.
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  4. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or maybe plan on a few days on the westslope, Grand Junction Ave in Feb is 46 high so there would be some good days. Just don't plan on riding there.
  5. MCCOYBOY

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was leaning towards bringing the 950 just in case I needed to pound pavement and head south to warmer temperatures. It's either bring a motorcycle and find a way to ride or find a local shop and get a part time job because I know there's no way my wife could handle me being in the house for 4 weeks lol....
  6. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    The weather's a crapshoot, as mentioned above. You're likely to get some rideable weather in a four-week period, so bringing the bike might work out pretty well. You might even get weather conducive to some low foothills twisties, too. Besides the problem of traffic, you have roads that are likely to be sandy, depending on how recent the last snowfall was. Another option for winter riding is one I like for the relatively empty gravel roads: east of I-25. You gotta like farmscapes, though.
    MurphCO likes this.
  7. MCCOYBOY

Oddometer:
    I definitely would rather not ride asphalt. Maybe I'll look for options further south that will get me off the asphalt and onto some trail systems.
  8. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    I've ridden down to Salida, had lunch then back to Denver via 285 through the mountains in Jan. It was 72 degree in Denver, low 50's in South Park on 285. Home by dark.

So good riding can be had. Almost always warmer if you get south of CO Springs and ride along the foothills and front range down there.
  9. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Penrose may be a good option.
    MurphCO likes this.
  10. MCCOYBOY

Oddometer:
    Want to go on a ride? Lol....
  11. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    I don't have any dirt bikes for Penrose at the moment. I've been working so much I've had little time to ride. Hit me up when you're here for an asphalt ride if it's above 55 degrees. Anything colder than that and I just don't enjoy the Michelin Man outfit. Heated grips and liner are usually needed.
    MCCOYBOY likes this.
  12. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    It is hard to predict things, especially the future. :nod
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  13. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring skis, the good stuff will be under 8' of snow unless you want to drive 5hours to the Moab area
    DADODIRT and Rogue_Ryder like this.
  14. MCCOYBOY

Oddometer:
    If there's good stuff 5 hours away then I'll gladly make the trip. The other option is to join up with one of the crews planning a trip to Baja and do a 2 week Baja run.
  15. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    no
  16. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could do a trip South along the NM border (before trump builds a wall there). Commanche grasslands has some old ghost town and old west type of stuff. There are some trails here and there but mostly dirt roads. Penrose commons might also be an option but don't count on it. You will want something out in the open with lots of sun exposure. Even shady areas will hold snow on a 60 degree day.

I would also recommend checking out Bishops Castle if you are going to be in the area around Canyon City.
    MCCOYBOY likes this.
  17. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of places to ride. If you want to do a street ride the roads are generally clean and dry the day after it snows. It’s harder to ride dirt bikes in the winter, but Penrose is almost always clear due to its lower elevation and south facing.
  18. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, if you are on facebook, Adventure Riders of Colorado is a group to look up. Feel free to post up there. A lot of great people on there to offer suggestions and possibly meet up.
    MCCOYBOY likes this.
  19. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't .... the roads at rampart are already iced over.
  20. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stuff around Moab will likely be rideable. Cold, but rideable. You'll have to drive over the mountains to get there. Flying to SD and riding Baja might be the best bet.