Visiting the Canucks again....solo from Virginia to Labrador and Newfoundland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Brett737cap, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Brett737cap

Brett737cap Life is short... leave with no regrets. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 19: St. John’s to the Dildo, 63 miles
    C247BEF4-2912-4E4B-9C53-593B01DB5F6D.jpeg

My wife had to leave that day and that bummed me out. I would’ve loved for her to ride 2up back to our house but she had previous engagements to attend to. Before heading to the airport we drove down to the water to take some pictures of the local fishing marina and the homes on the hills across the water.
    F1879254-6A12-4815-AC56-AA6F91E535A0.jpeg E191121C-C6C1-4FB5-9629-BC6700C17620.jpeg 0EA6F16C-0928-4F34-9ABF-F46E9A0C6021.jpeg

Afterwards, We drove to the BMW dealer and picked up my GS, with her new rubber, and then my wife drove the rental to the airport, following me on the bike. We dropped off the rental and I walked my wife to the security check and saw her off, sad that she was leaving already. I knew my trip was mostly over, as I was headed home from now on, and I tend to not be as enthusiastic about the homeward legs.

After returning to the AirBnb and packing my things, I headed out. Being on the bike again felt good after driving a cage for the last 3 days. I had a day to kill before my ferry reservation the next day and I wasn’t really sure where I would go. I headed Southwest on the TCH, thinking I might find a place to stay near the ferry landing. It was a brooding, grey day, the clouds swollen with rain just itching to get out. As heavy rain showers were forecast for later in the day, I didn’t want to delay much as it was already about 1pm.

I stopped at a roadside coffee shop and looked at google maps. I decided I didn’t want to go all the way to the ferry terminal that day, as it would leave me with nowhere to go tomorrow before my 5pm departure. I had thought the town with the giggle-inducing name, Dildo, was beautiful the day before, so I set that as my destination.

I pulled into town and parked below the Dildo Cove Coffee and Krafts Cafe. After dismounting I walked up to the quaint cafe and enjoyed a coffee while trying to figure out where I would stay the night. The AirBnb host I had requested a room with had not returned my email in the last 3 hours, so I needed another plan. I callled several places but they were all full. I called the Dildo Boathouse Inn and they had a room, but it was much more than I wanted to spend so I thanked them and kept searching. I didn’t find anything and decided to head out of town. As I was riding, the Bluetooth in my helmet rang and I answered. It was the Boathouse Inn and they offered me a good rate for the same room I had inquired about earlier. Coincidentally, I was just coming up on them. I accepted the offfer and pulled in 30 seconds later. “That was quick” quipped the girl at reception. She showed me to a beautiful waterview suite with a balcony overlooking the cove.
    0565E751-11B1-44E0-881B-A80B24AC25B9.jpeg 1EE55840-8B67-4366-96A3-7E270FFF27C7.jpeg

The Inn was a couple of miles from the main strip, and I didn’t feel like going there in the rain which was now falling steadily, so I decided to eat at their restaurant. It was a popular local place to eat and drink and I soon found out why....excellent food! While enjoying my scallop dinner and a beer, I met the owner, Dennis, who was eating dinner there also. His restaurant was set up as a Karaoke lounge, and it wasn’t long before Dennis was serenading an anniversary couple and the Bachelorette party in the corner. I wish I had pics but I didn’t take any for some reason.

I enjoyed the Newfoundland hospitality of Dennis and his crew that evening, as the beer flowed freely, but finally had to excuse myself
    To get some shuteye. Strangely enough, I spotted Dennis in the back of the crowd a week later when Guillermo, from the Jimmy Kimmel show, visited Dildo in Jimmy’s bid to be mayor.
    B10Dave, 'Bob', crashkorolyk and 2 others like this.
  2. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    I had to read up on that. Strange system. To most of us South of the Border, Trudeau appears to be the Head of State.
    Davidprej likes this.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Canada's Head of State is Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Canada is a British Commonwealth country.
  4. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the Wiki article that explains it all - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Canada

After carefully reading it, I've come to the conclusion that it is not possible to figure out who is in charge of the country to our north. Hope that helps.
    Brett737cap likes this.
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Come on up Adam, we’ve got room for you. Are you going to CroMag?
  6. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we got rid of those Limeys a long time ago so we can control our own destiny.
  7. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    Day 20: Dildo to Argentia, 39ish miles
    A86CCA26-F004-498E-AE5A-B7871CF367E5.jpeg

Day 20 began cloudy and rainy in Dildo. I didn’t have far to ride to the Ferry terminal, and I didn’t have to be there until about 3pm, so I took my time getting ready, letting the rain die down. After checking out of the Inn, I headed into town and had a coffee at the local shop and then some fish and chips for an early lunch at the Dildo Dory Grill.

After lunch I headed South towards Argentia, making quick work of the 2-lane road, arriving in the vicinity after about an hour. I was still early so I took the opportunity to ride into the town of Placentia and then down around Point Verde and south along Highway 100 for a bit. The views of the wild Atlantic were stunning as the road wound over and around hills alongside the ocean.
    98CB89BA-C154-41C8-95E8-299A322235CD.jpeg
    2AE3B5F9-E963-4AE7-A7D5-32FB0CB746D1.jpeg

I had to be at the ferry at least 2 hours before departure, and I’m an “if you’re not early, you’re late” kind of person, so I turned around after a bit and headed towards the ferry terminal. As I came over the hill I saw the massive ship waiting to gorge itself with cars and people. I’ve never been on a boat that large, and never been overnight on any boat but my own, so I was looking forward to a new experience. I was pretty early, but there were still some cars and motorcycles ahead of me. After checking in at the gate and presenting the requisite documents, I was directed to the lane with some other motorcycles. After parking and taking my helmet off, I milled around for the next hour, chatting with other riders and people waiting to board.
    69B0156E-25D4-446B-BDFD-D79196261D5E.jpeg
    65317EA1-5A08-4143-B17B-8E53699D2157.jpeg

A woman came and told us we would be boarding soon so we all remounted and started up, the chatter of my GS mixing with the rumble of the Harleys and the quietness of the Goldwings. The motorcycles loaded up first, riding into the bowels of the ship in a single-file procession. Once aboard we all strapped down our bikes with the straps they provided and I snapped a few pics to prove to the insurance company that I had strapped it down properly in case there was any damage from rough seas. The Cabot Strait is notorious for rough passages.
    C5408DED-43B1-405D-B9A0-70EE124D15CA.jpeg

I took my gear and a bag of clothes up to my cabin on the 9th floor. It was down an interior hallway and it was tiny with no windows, but I was just glad I had a cabin and didn’t have to sleep out in the lounge with a bunch of other people. It was going to be a 17 hour trip and having a bed and private bathroom were definitely desirable. After changing into street clothes I went up and explored the ship as we got under way. I watched the land fall away as we headed out of the port, and then headed back to my cabin for a nap.
    E1E3ABC6-3B12-4873-BD8C-94714D2F4CD6.jpeg
    89B2BB7D-DED9-4185-B0B8-A9E8D2F36C14.jpeg
    E44E18E3-1D30-4CD2-B0B0-8319BDF72D7F.jpeg
    After my nap it was getting late so I headed to the buffet for dinner. I’m not usually a buffet fan, but this one was actually pretty good. I stopped at the lounge to listen to the live music and have a couple of beers before retiring to my cabin for the night. With no windows, it was completely dark and quiet, except for the thrumming of the distant engines, and the rocking of the ship in the waves pulled me into sleep.
    crashkorolyk, thwak, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  8. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great write up and photos. Thanks for the time and effort!
    Brett737cap likes this.
  9. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give a shout if you need anything on the NS side (If your report is current that is)!

A.
    Brett737cap likes this.
  10. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Would’ve loved to just meet up for a coffee or beer but the report is a few weeks behind real time. I’m home now and back to work unfortunately.
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saddest post in this thread.
    Brett737cap likes this.
  12. Brett737cap

Oddometer:
    I know, right? Almost a month away from work and I still didn't want to go back. It really got me thinking about early retirement.
    B10Dave and AdamChandler like this.
  13. AngusMcL

AngusMcL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you!! I had a week-long bike trip in Jun... the first day back after that was just brutal!!

A.
  14. Brenski

Brenski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report Captain! I was particularly interested in the TLH route since I hope to do that next summer. I was also fascinated by the Gander air traffic control center tour that you had and the detail you shared. (I'm just back from my first trans Atlantic flight - Copenhagen).
    That was a good plan to include your wife on the trip.
    I hope that you will come back to see more of Canada.
    B.
  15. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report and pix nice memories did the same trip late June this year .