Voyage of Recovery

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Twotaildog, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
  2. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    I see that my little tickler didn't generate much interest. Still, I think I'll post a few pictures of the ride. It was 1517 miles total. It rained almost the whole way, headwinds gusting up to 50mph, and the temps rarely git up into the 60's. It was a blast.

To start with here is the previous owner, known as Effervescent on this forum, and his new wife. One of their last pictures with the bike...

[​IMG]

I know, you're wondering how a guy like Eff scored a hot young wife like Mrs. Eff. I'm not sure, but I do know that his title on his business card says "Sexologist." Maybe that has something to do with it? Oh - and notice that he's crying, but she is smiling; guess who got the cash!

Seriously though, Mr & Mrs Eff are the nicest people in the world. They invited me to stay in their home, introduced me to thier freinds, fed me, and took me into the Big Apple and showed me around.

More to come...
  3. druboyd

druboyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks good so far, on with the story!!!!!:clap
  4. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you swallowed a pull tab....:lol3 Good looking old Beamer

[​IMG]
  5. bug splat

bug splat My Kung-Fu is Strong

Oddometer:
    How did you get that crazy straw in your chest:poser
    Beautiful bike! On with the story.
  6. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    I guess you'd say the trip started in the Omaha, NE. airport. Even though I wasn't sure I was going to buy the BMW, I had only bought a one-way ticket to Laguardia. If I didn't buy the bike it was going to cost me four or five hundred clams for a return ticket. A few days earlier I asked Eff to send me pictures of the worst parts of the bike. Eff is an honest man, he did what I asked, and he didn't sugar coat anything. To be honest I was having doubts about the deal after seeing the pictures.

The R60 doesn't have any bags, so I packed a minimalist amount of gear into a small back pack, put my helmet in a carry bag, and wore my riding boots and jacket onto the plane. The weather forecast didn't look too bad, so I didn't bring any cold weather gear. Doh. I did bring rain gear, and that saved me.

For some reason flying from Omaha to NYC with a one-way ticket was making me feel like one of those hicks that you hear about that goes to the big city and gets conned by the city slickers. The flight went smoothly and I arrived at LGA without a hitch. Eff picked me up at the airport. After some brief pleasantries I got in Eff's car and and the first thing he said was "there's a small problem." "Oh?" I replied, starting to feel like a bumpkin falling for a con. "Ya, it's just that I can't find the title." Seriously, I almost asked him to just drop me off at the next terminal, so I could go ahead and get a flight home. Then he said that, if I like the bike, he would let me take it and I wouldn't have to pay him until he sent me the duplicate title. I needed to think about that some more, but it seemed like it might work as long as he could show me a registration with his name on it. The only risk would be if there was a lein of some kind of on the bike. But he seemed like a nice guy, so I didn't ask him to drop me at the terminal.

We got to his house on Long Island. The bike looked much better than I was expecting after seeing the "worst of" pictures. I took it for a short test ride and decided I wanted it. There was just the title issue to think about.

Here are some more pictures of the bike:

Eff on the left, me on the bike:
    [​IMG]

Eff:
    [​IMG]

More to come...
  7. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    They put that tube there to drain the blood out of my chest cavity because my spleen had a grade 4 laceration from one of my ribs. I'm not sure why the tube was twisted like a straw from a happy meal, but at least it kept me alive!

Thanks for asking.

Kevin
  8. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    Here are some detail shots that Eff took before I left:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming up next - food!
  9. ksmdigital

ksmdigital Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, I'm looking forward to your report. :clap
  10. Yukoner2

Yukoner2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that looks like a beaut. Looking forward to hearing/reading about the ride home on it. Hope you have recovered enough for the long ride.
  11. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    Eff and I spent some time on his computer, checking the weather. In the few hours that I'd been travelling, the forecast for the northeast USA had gone from OK to not worth a sh*t. It was raining in Long Island and most of the way across PA. Highs in the mid 50's, winds in the mid 20's. It looked like the weather would be better tomorrow, but still raining halfway across PA. It was supposed to clear up in the afternoon. After much discussion, a plan began to form. I would wait until Sunday afternoon to leave. The weather was supposed to clear up by then. That would give Eff more time to search for the title. Eff and Mrs. Eff invited me to use thier spare room.

But first, we decided to go to Eff's freind's seafood restaurant for clams. The restaurant is called Bigelow's. The owner's name is Anthony, and he rides. Anthony offerred to let us use his pick-up to haul the bike past the rain, but the pick-up had a minor bearing problem. Anthony treated us to Ipswich clams, oysters, scallops, chowder, beers :freaky , and pie. It was all very good but the chowder was the best. Sorry, I only have the one fuzzy camera photo of the food, and it really doesn't do it justice. Maybe Eff will chime in with a better picture. Check this link: http://www.bigelows-rvc.com/ If you're in the area, I recommend it highly.

[​IMG]

Next - a trip to NYC and more food
  12. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Looking good so far, TwoTail :thumb
  13. Gillmartin

Gillmartin Desultory Dilettante

Oddometer:
    Cool trip.

How did that work exactly? Did you 'pre-register' the bike in your home state before you left? Bring a plate with you? Who's insurance covered you and/or the bike on the return trip?

I sold a bike, but it was taken back on a trailer, so all the above was n/a.

Just curious.
  14. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    It was still registered to Eff on the way home, and his insurance was still in affect for the bike. I've done it the other way too though, in the past. In most states you have a period of time, say 10 days or so, that you can use the vehicle prior to registering it, and so you can ride without a plate. In that case, insurance? well... be careful. I once bought a wrecked Guzzi Centauro in Miami and rode it home to NE without a plate and without a functional speedometer. A brown state patrol followed me halfway accross Missouri but never pulled me over. But that's another story.

Kevin

Kevin
  15. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    After lunch at Bigelows, Eff spent a couple of hours searching for the title. By now I knew that he and Mrs Eff were the real deal, and weren't going to try to con me. Once I got to know them, my paranoia went away. After an extensive search, it was clear that he wasn't going to find the title so he went on line to apply for a duplicate. He was in there for a long time and when he finally came out he said that he thinks he has some bad news and some good news. The bad news was that the NY DMV website kept kicking him out. It wouldn't let him apply for a duplicate title. The good news was, he figured out why. It turns out that prior to 1973 vehicles registered in NY don't have a seperate title, they just have a transferrable registration. Further insprction of the registration revealed that it's all explained right on the document. That's all I needed, I handed over the cash to Mrs Eff, and me and Eff drafted up a bill of sale.

Next, we go to Katz's Deli in NYC for pastrami sandwiches to celebrate the sale. Here's me looking like a tourist:
    [​IMG]

Katz's Deli is where they filmed that scene in "When Harry Met Sally" where Meg Ryan does her little performance to convince Billy Crystal that women can indeed fake "it." You know the one I mean.
    [​IMG]

Here's the guy that made our sandwiches. Eff gave him a little tip and he let us have a sample of the pastrami he was carving for us. That first taste of Katz's pastrami was unbelievable. Really, you have to try it.
    [​IMG]

The sandwich
    [​IMG]

Effervescent
    [​IMG]

Me
    [​IMG]

Times Square
    [​IMG]

Next - enough food - I'm ready to hit the road.
  16. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    OK, like I said, the plan was to wait until Sunday afternoon, when the rain was supposed to quit, and leave then. Not that I have anything against riding in the rain, based on past experience I was pretty sure I wouldn't melt or anything, but I was going to ride a 40 year old bike with 40 year old drum brakes and 30 year old tires for 1500 miles starting with going through New York City. The rain was just another risk factor that I was hoping to avoid, but as the day went on it became apparent that the rain wasn't going to stop. So be it, off we go.

This picture was taken just before I left, during a brief break in the rain:
    [​IMG]

Eff and Mrs Eff were kind enough to show me the best way through the city. I've never liked riding through big cities. Mexico City, Guatemale City, NYC, not the best riding. Luckily, the Sunday afternoon traffic wasn't too bad. Eff took a couple of pictures along the way to the GWB:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good-bye New York, Hello New Jersey.
    [​IMG]

More to come... Thanks for the emails and PM's, sorry to this is taking so long, server problems, processing pictures, etc...
  17. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  18. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Good to see you back on two wheels! I'll fwd this link to Devro, the usual suspects are congregating in AR again in a couple weeks.:deal
  19. Flying Monkey

Flying Monkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see old bikes still getting the miles put on. I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of the journey!
  20. Twotaildog

Twotaildog Old Poop

Oddometer:
    Sunday, 9/27/2009. The GWB put me on I-80 west. Ironically, I live about 5 south of I80, but 1500 miles west of NYC. I really wanted to be on two-lane, but I thought it would be a good idea to stick to the slab until I got passed the rain. The roads were bad in NYC, and not much better in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The suspension on the R60 is stiff; I suspect the fork and shock oil has pretty much turned to sludge, causing the stiffness. About 30 miles down the road my gimp shoulder starts burning from the backpack and the 20mph headwind. By reaching over with my right hand and repositioning the strap I can get a few moments of temporary relief at a time. One of the reasons I wanted to do this was because I wanted to know I could still "take it" after the accident. I didn't think I was going to find out this early in the trip.

The rain persists. Three or four times today it teased me with a few stray rays of sunshine and a peek of blue, but always the rain came back. I'd been cruising at 55 - 60 mph to gain confidence in the new mount. I gassed up at Rockaway, NJ and jumped right back on I-80. I jumped it up to ~65 mph which, combined with the 20 mph headwinds was putting quite a strain on my arms and my shoulder. Repeatedly, by shoulder starts to burn about 40 miles out, I ride about another 40 miles after that, and then stop to gas up and give it a rest. This is going to make for a long trip, but I've got time, and if the wind sunsides it should get better. I adjusted the straps on the backpack, and that helped some. I got some ibuprofen which helped even more.

Traffic isn't bad on I-80 but there are some big bumps and I start to worry about the 30 year old tires and tubes, especially on the wet tarmac. I stopped for gas at the Hazleton exit, when I stop I realize that some of my fingers are numb from the cold. I wasn't expecting this or I would have brought my winter gloves. I'm hungry and I see that there's and Econolodge right up the road. It's still an hour or so from dark, but I decide to call it quits for the day, thinking that the sky will be clear in the morning. I check in, hit a deli, call my girl, and look at maps. A little map study confirms what I already new but didn't want to accept, there's no good way across this part of PA except I-80, because of the lay of the land. I'm thinking tomorrow I can get to hwy 224 which hooks up with hwy 24 which will take me most of the way home. I'd like to be well into Ohio tomorrow.

The lady at the Econolodge said she rides. She let me put the R60 up on the sidewalk so it would be out of the rain. I woke up to partly cloudy sky's and a spot under the R60 because I forgot to turn the gas off (Bings leak).
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow, it's Ohio or bust!