Voyager Pro

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by mauroarriagada, May 29, 2018.

1. mauroarriagada

mauroarriagada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my review after a couple of weeks using it (some WABDR tracks included). Have a '16 1190 Adventure.

Would love to see other users' feedback!

Pros
    • Big screen – great color and touch works great with gloves
    • Feels very solid – I’ve seen on youtube some tests with hammers on the screen and zero scratch
    • It comes with the tach sensor…you need to install it into one of the spark plugs coil…kind of a PITA as you need to remove (or lift like I did) the gas tank to pass the wire below. Then it works perfect until the fan kicks in (see cons below)
    • GPS speedo works great unless you are accelerating aggressively…there it has a lag, but I guess that happens with every GPS. They sell a speed sensor that goes into the wheel for more accuracy.
    • Easy to navigate between screens using the arrow buttons (up/down)
    • Menu/screens super easy to use
    • Support is very responsive. Same day response over email and with the right level of details.
    • All the screens are accessible through the up and down buttons….nothing hidden, so you can do it on the fly.
    • Route tracking works good. IMO same as my garmin 64st, but of course a bigger screen makes everything soooo much easier.
    • GPX loading, once on the SD card, is super easy
    • Zoom in/out with gloves on the touch screen works great. Very easy, and although he +/- icons look small, you don’t need to “search” for the right place on the screen to push

Cons
    • There’s a software glitch they are repairing (firmware update should be released in the next weeks) that causes the tach sensor to go crazy when the radiator fan kicks in. (RPMs go up and down on the GPS….not the engine…). Minor thing as it stops when the fan stops, but still shouldn’t happen. Anyway, it seems is a software thing so hopefully they repair it.
    • It doesn’t have an USB connection. It uses a mini SD card and through that you load everything (firmware, GPX, etc.), which is painful as I don’t have an SD card reader on my laptop and I need to borrow my wife’s one every time I want to move something. Really basic stuff IMO.
    • Instructions are printed in a good quality "magazine" paper but with standard brackets….not very professional/industrial. I guess is the nature of a small company. Also the instructions illustration were wrong in the sensors…the power sensor wasn’t the one they were pointing on the instructions.
    • Media screen doesn’t work with my Sena 20S and my iPhone….for some reason I can’t hear the music, although I did the setup as indicated in the instructions. Still can’t fix it and so I’ve disconnected the GPS from the phone Bluetooth until I figure out what to do. It should be dead simple but for some reason it doesn’t work.
    • Have no idea how the buddy tracking works as I don’t have a buddy yet, but you need to install an antenna, so more wiring stuff, which I will not do until I have a buddy.
    • For some reason the “footprints” of my rides didn’t display (I have it set up to draw a red line with my riding but I can’t see it). Will ask to support about it.
    • The release button on the holder became hard out of nowhere and I couldn’t remove the GPS unit from it. After a couple of emails with support I found out there was a really tiny allen wrench that you can use to make it hard/loose so there’s no risk to drop it. Cool feature but I still wonder how it became hard out of nowhere.
    Akunin and ohgood like this.
  2. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
  3. mauroarriagada

mauroarriagada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! search didn't work as expected and couldn't find that thread. Will share it there
    ohgood likes this.
  4. Stinkyb

Stinkyb GS"eh" rider

Oddometer:
    You can get a mini sd card reader to usb adapter very cheap. Than use whatever computer you want...assuming it has a usb slot.
    Question, my bikes dash for whatever reason displays only km, travelling through states is a pita just doing on fly speed estimates. Does voyager pro permit km/mile speed/trip display?
  5. TThelper

TThelper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes
  6. TThelper

TThelper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please call our tech support. We have used Voyager pro extensively with Sena 20S and iPhone without issues.

Also note that if you hold down on the headphone icon on the media screen you have a volume adjustment there, maybe this is set to low?