Vstrom 1000 dropped from 2020 model lineup?!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MariusD, Sep 5, 2019.

1. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    In an article about the 2020 Dl650 I came across a note that indicates the DL 1000 was dropped for 2020 model year.

"Unlike its big brother, the aging V-Strom 1000 that was unsuspectedly dropped from the 2020 Suzuki lineup, the V-Strom 650 is still going strong."

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/368849/2020-suzuki-vstrom-650xt-adventure-overview/amp/

I have to say, I'm frankly shocked! This was such a huge improvement on the bike from the years passed. Was it really not that popular?! Or is there something else at play here?! I was actually looking to move up to the 1000... :cry
  2. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    A lot of vehicles are not capable of meeting the Euro 6 emissions . Maybe the Vstrom 1000 fails to meet the new standard.
  3. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Meh,,, there's already 10 pages of this conversation over on StromTroopers. Suzuki has skipped a model year of production a time or two in the past. Unless there's some other more official news than just an article on RideApart (and I'm not saying they're a bad source, mind you), it's all speculation at this point. I do know that in printed publications, such as "Rider" and "Roadrunner", I've been seeing Suzuki placing more competitive advertising, for V-Stroms. Seems unlikely that they'd just totally drop a model that they're pushing, no?
    Ah well, I shall now return to the "Versys-X 400 speculation thread"... :D
    rideforzen and RobG. like this.
  4. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not shocked at all, while the v-strom 1000 motor was really very good - everything else was lacking comparing to competition not to mention appearance of the bike, and sales were poor obviously. Marketing department should learn something from Honda or BMW how boost the numbers. IMO last move by Suzuki making dl650 and dl1000 look almost exactly the same
    was a nail to the coffin. It's a pity but I hope Suzuki introduce completely new 1000+cc adventure bike, like DRZ 1270R ;)
    Amphib likes this.
  5. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    The packaging of the 1st gen 996 DL1000 (2002 - 2012) was shall we say, somewhat budget oriented.

The above mentioned running gear far better suited the lower output and 45lbs lighter DL650 format and helped to make that model a huge sales success.

BronNowo your above statement holds absolutely no water, with the completely rejigged 2nd and 3rd gen 1037 DL1000's from 2014 onwards. :brow

One demo ride on any 2014+ DL1000 model, will dispel any illusions of it's being a budget bike.

996DL
    MariusD and RedEX like this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Possibly this Big DR thing coming up instead? A more agressive strom finally?
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I for one would like to see an agressive off road 650 instead.
    RedEX, dtysdalx2 and ag_streak like this.
  8. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    If it was confirmed this was actually the end of the line for the strom, for good, I'd go buy another new one just to have two in the garage.
    996DL likes this.
  9. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Yes, for some reason when speaking of the DL1000, most people seem to be thinking of the 1st-generation model. Although the current model looks very similar to the 650, the 1000 has the better brakes, suspension, etc., that us Wee-Strom owners would like to see as upgrades.
  10. CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives the sound of inevitability

Oddometer:
    Wouldn’t take much to bump the thou right into contention, a real suspension with 8-9” travel and higher grade components with a decent electronics package in a weight that undercut the main players, the motor is a gem when fully derestricted and tuned. I had an 03 that I abused without mercy and she just soldiered on. In that time a fuel controller and a set of open slip ons was all you needed, man that sound was so sweet.
  11. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good idea . . . My ‘14 V2 is probably my favorite bike of all time. Great suspension, brakes, handling and real-world power.
    Transporto and 996DL like this.
  12. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I missed an new old stock '14 with factory luggage for $8K OTD last year... still kicking myself (but daughter needed a car). Been watching the want-ads ever since, waiting to pounce on a pristine well farkled low mileage example.. but you fauwkers don't seem to want let go of them. (Ok, there is the issue of me not having any money at the moment, and I need to replace the flooring in two rooms of my house... but I can dream, can't I :getiton)
    MariusD and RedEX like this.
  13. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Wasn't my favorite bike for what I was doing 20 or 30 years ago....but sure is now

I've spent the last year test riding lots of bikes (and even bought another toy) and while there are so many cool choices out there I still haven't found a package that does what my strom does for me. I've even thought of buying another one for a project, and some of the deals as of late have made me think. If it is really done, it's a no brainer, buy another. Wonder if we'll see anything this Fall as new motorcycles are announced, or just have to wait a year and see if it comes back
  14. MariusD

MariusD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, well it's good to hear that the consensus is that there's probably just a lapse in production for a year or two in preparation for a new model. If we get something like a dl1200 which doesnt weight any more than the current bike that'll be really awesome.