Vstrom 650 Headlight out

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Woodsparrow, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2013 Vstrom 650 here in the US.

This weekend I installed an SW Motech frame and some Kriega OS bags. The SWM requires moving the rear blinkers, which required unplugging most of the electrical in the back, then snipping the cables and lengthening the blinker runs.

Now, I've got brake, front and rear turn signals, and everything else electrical is working. I've even got running lights.

But I aint got no front headlight - it's darn tricky to see when I leave the house at 6am!

The front lamp and the front 'pass' lamp both do not seem to be coming on at all. I can flip the passing switch to no change. The dashboard runs correctly. Everything is perfect except for the one thing that isn't, you know, working.

Fuse issue, or did I roll a wire somewhere and manage to only screw up that? I double-triple checked before crimping it back together, since I hate wiring.
  2. toxies1

toxies1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would check the starter circuit as this cuts the light somehow when you hit it
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Did you start with a new bulb?
  4. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    It's unlikely both front bulbs burned out at the exact same time, including high and low portions.
    eakins likes this.
  5. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    Any advice on how to do that? I haven't seen a wiring diagram yet :(
  6. toxies1

toxies1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delayed response. Been doing family stuff.

I haven't even been able to get out to the garage and check the fuse, despite it being like 2 seconds of work. I have seen the beaver kits, I was just hoping to avoid dropping more cash on the bike for now.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I now seem to remember Greywolf talking about the headlight wiring and it all going thru 1 odd place? Maybe thru one if the bar control switches? And that was a strain on the wiring. That might be a lead.
  10. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start with your starter button and check all your connections in that area inside. They get corroded and should be cleaned/e greased occasionally. Then make sure you have not pinched wires from that control nacelle up toward the headlight. Starter button, headlight is all connected.
  11. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer: