VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheaper vs easier

Cheaper for a used motor, but there is labor and unknown mileage and maintenance history.

Easier to buy a used bike in good condition and swap everything over.

Third option is get a used, newer model and part out the old for money to farkle the new.
  2. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @foxfire, my 2 cent's worth is: swapping the motor is a pretty simple job that can be done in a weekend if you a) have the skills, b) have the talent, c) have the time, d) have the money, and e) can get everything pre-staged and ready. So if you really enjoy working on your bike, grab another motor and go for it!

Pretty sure the 02-03 motors are unique, so you'd have to find one of those.

Not sure about the farkles; hopefully somebody will chime in about them.

For me, I broke the chain on my '04 on a fairly gnarly hill climb, which bent the output shaft and broke the splines where the sprocket sits. Took me 2 years, 2 months, and a couple weeks to get her back on the road due to no time, no money, no skills, no tools. It was no fun. Yet I couldn't have bought a comparable bike for what I eventually spent getting this one fixed.

My main takeaway is: keep my bike maintained so I never have to go thru this again! :-)
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  3. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Super Sherpa, which is quite similar to your XT. I love it but it's limited for big trips. And I have a DL650. GREAT bike for big trips with modest off pavement excursions but, at 150 lbs, I find it a bit big and heavy for rougher unpaved use. I CAN pick it up, but I find it a chore, especially if it's loaded or the terrain adds to the challenge. Last year I picked up a DR650 and I'm absolutely loving this bike. It's almost 100 pounds lighter than my DL. It's a bit less powerful, but with a couple modest tweaks, there's more than enough oomph for big trips. I also made a couple other tweaks to orient mine a little more toward touring. I feel much more confident on it off pavement, and have been perfectly happy with it on some several hundred miles days. The DL is a little comfier, for sure. I've been up the Dalton and Dempster highways on my DL. But I'll take the DR next time I go north.
    IMG_20200322_112426019_HDR.jpg
  4. foxfire

foxfire YRUYUR?

Oddometer:
    Thats the thing...if they are unique, that really narrows down the pool of decent, lowish mileage motors available. If one could be had at a decent price i wouldnt mind doing the work.

That said...the more i ponder this, the more i lean to swapping parts onto a different bike. Im realizing my whole rig (not just the motor) has higher miles, both of my wheelsets have significant dings, some cracks in the body work, etc. Its seen some hard riding in my hands.
    davyjones and wilddoktor like this.
  5. Kegler

Kegler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, if it were me, I would buy a bike. VStroms go for next to nothing and you can find them will low miles if you look around. You'll be time and dollars ahead....
    Motor7, RedEX, husky390 and 2 others like this.
  6. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    This
    Motor7, RedEX and wilddoktor like this.
  7. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought a '16 Wee w/ 15k miles and a few farkles for $4,800, which I think is a fair price. But if he's looking for a Vee, my very limited experience is that he's going to have to go much old and more miles to get the price down to the cost of a new motor, right? A quick Cycletrader search shows that the prices sort of bottom out around $3k - $4k, but then you're going back to '06 ish models.

I had a perfectly good '09 Wee w/ 42k miles, but upgraded just because, so I'm with you guys, if the $$$ aspect works out.
  8. foxfire

foxfire YRUYUR?

Oddometer:
    Im inclined to agree. Mines got 49,000mi i think, and in the last half of that was a pretty rough life. I kinda beat the piss out of it. If i could find a similar mileage bike that saw more road work, id have a fresh one to throw around.

Still...if i could find a decent motor on the cheap...
  9. foxfire

foxfire YRUYUR?

Oddometer:
    So then...what transfers to the later of the 1st gens? I have pretty much all the goodies...exhaust, shock , racks, power commander, even the rear axle alignment washer...

...would this all fit?

And can i swap the front bodywork (i like the fixed shield)?
  10. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer:
    I think 2002 had the 16 bit ECU so you'd need the full shebang ECU/wiring, instrument cluster, etc to get the swap working.
  11. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, only if he went with an '04 or up.
  12. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Had a chain "mishap" and holed the case on my 2002 DL1000. Within 2 weeks I found an exact replacement with half the miles. Same color, almost completely stock, and well maintained. Swapped farkles and now it has more miles than my original. I also have a parts bike. Extra wheels, bodywork, basically everything except the case with the hole... The replacement cost me $2200. I'm happy as a pig in...
    foxfire, Motor7, husky390 and 4 others like this.
  13. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    When I had the front on the balancer it was obvious the rotor is out. Yes, deposits on the rotor can create a shimmy, too.

If you find that the banjo bolts are different I'd use the set belonging to the calipers, just be sure there is enough thread purchase. The banjo ends on the new lines can be adjusted/turned to mate with master & slave. Just don't damage them. Be sure to use new crush washers (seals).

I've never worried about air in the lines when replacing those parts. It helps to push the caliper pistons in all the way. I use the vacuum bleeder, then the "coke bottle" method.

If you're confident they're bled & have a soft feel but the brakes work, it would be a sign the ratio between the m/cyl & caliper pistons is incorrect. (Too small of a piston on the m/cyl.) I'd think Blaine knows what works.
  14. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Dude! DL and DR owner as well, ha I even weigh 150, but I have NOT been to Alaska! :p I love my DR650. Totally agree with your post!
    2020-03-31 23.25.31.jpg
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    150 pounds, are you guys like 12?
    davyjones, joevacc, Motor7 and 5 others like this.
  16. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    56 actually. But the 150 began about when I was 12. I just have an insane metabolism. Still.
    davyjones, RedEX and Brutalguyracing like this.
  17. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    If we add 100 more pounds to that, that's me in riding gear... Damn skinny SOB's ! Every bike I own costs me money for suspension right off the bat.
  18. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL...I don't think I've weighed in at 150 lbs. since I was 10 yrs old. :lol3
    davyjones and husky390 like this.
  19. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel fat
    Motor7, Hivernaut and Davidprej like this.
  20. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Hey don't feel bad, I still had to upgrade the DR's stock fork springs and add some DDC's.

Well I had actually weighed about 20 pounds more but I recently went through about a year long "Diet Program", only cost me about $30k plus the removal of a spouse.
    In the future I would definitely consider a cheaper weight-loss plan. :fpalm
    ag_streak, rs42sport, Motor7 and 2 others like this.