VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. NHTOTEROAD

NHTOTEROAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right. It doesn't look like cycle-ergo has updated since 2014-2015. I believe the 2018 should be very similar to the 2014-15 Vstrom 1000.
  2. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Made and appointment for tomorrow to check it out; taking a half day from work. Says they have four on hand, and they just assembled this one. There's three more in crates out back? Weird that they'd be sitting there.

Iunno. We'll see what happens. I was dead set on sticking with one bike once the Cogent suspension was in the DR. Now I'm repairing transmissions. Quite the kick in the gut.
  3. menotknow

menotknow always n00b

Oddometer:
    You'll like it. The only part you may be disappointed about will be the fact that at 95% they won't stick to the advertised price, add a ridiculous setup/preparation and documentation fee and the unit you come for will miraculously appear to heave just sold with no time to update the website (responsible person on quarantine or other BS).

Since you consider this size of the bike you should try also S10 to avoid buyer's remorse. Both are same size, similar weight and animals in general but have completely different power bands. I tested them both at one dealership, one after one and decided Vee is the way but that's just personal taste.

Out of the door it's a good bike. If you want to get spendy: heated grips, proper hand guards, better mirrors, aux lights, solid bash plate and engine guards, center stand, better tires, top box, panniers, lighter exhaust, sticker kit etc...

nice_edited.jpg
    RedEX, Barnaby'sDad and davyjones like this.
  4. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    They have four on hand. But yea, the "Pricing does not include applicable freight, setup, or documentation fees." is of concern.
  5. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Live 20200407_110943.jpg
    RedEX likes this.
  6. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    $8673 OTD for that 2018. :hmmmmm

I haggle everything though. Not sure if I can here. I'll still go down and check it out.
  7. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Schmokel I am 6'2" and 235 with 33" inseam and just picked up a 2019 V-Strom 1000 and in my limited ride time (just under 400miles), out of the box, it is a great bike and fits me well. The wind screen is better than the gen 1 and the seat , while stiff, is better too. It doesn't cut into your inner thigh. I rode a both the 650 and 1000 gen 1's for over 500 miles for comparison. I also had a MTS1200 a few years back and think imho, that this bike is a steal for all the electronic goodies you get.

There are many folks on here who have decades of experience on the earlier bikes and my time is just a flash compared to them. With that said, I feel like this is going to be a long term relationship. a great road trip bike and a great commuter (mine is 90 miles round trip).

As always, YMMV.
  8. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be prepared to walk if it looks like you're being jerked around.
    RedEX and davyjones like this.
  9. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind the 2020 V-strom redesign is out with enough changes to effect the market for left-over 2019s. That could mean extra leverage for the buyer. I would also expect to see the used market heat-up some because of the new interest. Combine all that with the willingness to walk away from a deal that doesn't 'rock your boat' and it could be entertaining at least.
    RedEX and davyjones like this.
  10. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Yea, the 2019s they have are listed at $13k without fees. So they're up there. #1 reason why I'm even considering this.
    davyjones likes this.
  11. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thing to keep in mind is the 2014-2019 are basically the same bike. Hence the used bike market is a viable alternative.
    RedEX likes this.
  12. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Its just like where I was when I bought my DR new. For an extra ~$1500 I can get brand new. There's a handful of used V-Stroms in my area right now. Mostly are 200X's. There's a 15 with 10k miles and $6k asking. And after dealing with my chipped gear in the DR, I'm iffy on the used at the moment. I could have easily shipped my bike off with the gears like that. Just...not a good time for me to check out used.

Like I said, I'm not dead set on another bike. This one just popped up at this time. If the 2019s were going for $9k and this was going for $8k, I wouldn't consider it. But it looks like a great deal when compared to everything else.
    davyjones and dflow like this.
  13. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Just so I walk into this a little more educated,

2018 1000
    vs
    2019 650

Outside of engine sizes, any notable differences? the 650 is ~$1000 less.
  14. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Schmokel, sorry about your transmission on the DR. That sucks. But once you get it back together with the Cogent upgrades I bet you're gonna love it. I think you'll like the Vstrom. I have a 2008 650 Wee that gets me where I want it to go. Re-sale value is pitiful so if you're like me you'll keep it till the end of time. I like the new ones but I've farkled mine to get it where i want it and don't want to start over with a new one.
    Booghotfoot and davyjones like this.
  15. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Supposed to run premium only in the 1000. You may not care, but if you run the crap out of it (I’ve got 6,500 on the ‘19 I got in October) and you’re a penny pincher...it’s something to consider.
    RedEX likes this.
  16. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure of your location but a Kentucky dealer has the same bike for the same price and charges a $99 processing fee. Even if you're not close geographically never hurts to mention it to the dealer you're working with.
    Don
    davyjones likes this.
  17. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, is that common place for DR's? I have read it; although, I wasn't sure how much merit their is to it.

Regarding the differences between the wee & vee, a thread with a lot of info can be found a ST.com. 650 has a smoother transmission & better gas mileage, the 1K slightly stiffer suspension & weighs just a little more. Their is a bit more than that; however, they are both wonderful motorcycles.

Best regards,
    davyjones likes this.
  18. Madscrapper85

Madscrapper85 There's a chance I just sharted

Oddometer:
    Basically 1000 has better suspension, brakes and power. 650 easier on gas and lighter.
    RedEX and LexLeroy like this.
  19. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Long trips, slab, 2 up, lots of gear = 1000
    packing light, maybe not so long of a trip, mild slab, more nimble off road = 650

I ride my 1000 like a dirt bike and take the wife along for week long trips. I just ride with friends off road to help me pick it up. :D I like the extra power and ability to bring the house along if need be.
    davyjones likes this.
  20. Schmokel

Oddometer:
    Duly noted.

Also noted. I'll bring that up.
    Ehhhh "common" enough. Its the whole debate of running a magnetic drain plug or not. If you do, you'll obviously find something it it cracks. If you don't, you'll never know until if it pops. I may have been able to get 75k miles out of my DR like it is. Who knows.

Noted.

I still intend to keep the DR. That's going to be for shorter rides, anything off-road, and that sort of stuff. The Strom would be for multiday trips that I can explore some dirt roads, but stick to the paved backroads when I can.

2018 V-Strom 1000 $8700 OTD over the phone. I may be able to knock them around a little, who knows. Seems like a decent deal?
    Barnaby'sDad and Madscrapper85 like this.