VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got $5400 for ya!
  2. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    so, i got a friend thinking about riding again. I'm impressed with the value of the Wee and have suggested it would be a good buy. so i see this.......

https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/castle-rock-2004-strom-650/7209983670.html

What kinda things/Maintenance will this bike need? what should I look for?

thanks ahead. for you thoughtful comments, or even a link to a good sticky to give me a basic v-strom education.
    dp064 likes this.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to the Calsci wings? I can't find them on their website. Tks,
  4. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my ‘04 650 Almost two years ago with about the same mileage. I payed about $1500, but it needed maintenance and had zero extras/farkles.
    Replaced chain/sprockets, replaced all fluids, new air filter, rebuilt brake calipers and new pads, rebuilt forks, replaced steering head bearings, new tires, sparkplugs, shimmed valves, new grips, new cush hub rubbers , basically all consumables, and total cost was around $500-$700 for the parts with a lot of hunting for the best deals on mostly aftermarket replacements. All the labor was my own, and cost included a couple minor tools specific to the bike (a cut socket for steering head, Allen socket for front axle, fork seal driver, etc). I didn’t replace anything cosmetic.
    For the asking price, I’d expect the one you posted to have all of that maintenance taken care of already.
    RedEX and dp064 like this.
  5. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    https://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/VStrom650prod.html

Click the little box that says 12-16 and then at the bottom of the table of products there will be a row for Wind Deflectors.
    Davidprej likes this.
  6. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    Anything specific to the vstrom to look at or ask for? Valve check at ?????.
  7. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm designing a sidecar chassis for my 2008 DL1000, and one of the design requirements is to have the sidecar swingarm the same length as the bike swingarm so that I can get similar amplitude and frequency of the sidecar wheel's movement as the bike's.

Do any of you have the DL1000 shock's stroke measurement available off the top of your head? My Google-fu is weak this morning and I don't have an uninstalled shock lying around. Plus I'm too lazy to put the bike up on the center stand to measure the exposed shock shaft length.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nicely kept and well equipped bike. Unfortunately for him (and those of us that actually ride our bikes) you can find bikes that are half the age (and less than half the mileage) and as nicely setup for not a lot more, meaning it's probably overpriced...

First Gen Wees (2004-2011) were good bikes, but Suzuki made some nice and worthwhile improvements in Gen 2 (2012-2016). So if your options are that 2004 for $3K or a 2012-16 for $4-5K, I'd go with the Gen 2 every day unless those $2K are a significant burden on your budget.

As for what to look for - These bikes are extremely reliable. Check that the usual maintenance was done on time/regular intervals. Valves needed to be checked at 45K miles. Also, a bike that age is well past due for suspension service. Check if anything was done to it, at the very least the fork oil would need to be changed, but with that mileage and age, my guess is the springs are sacked. Even when new those springs were too soft, so even if your friend weighs close to nothing, he will need to completely redo the suspension (Gen 2 suspension was better, so if it's a low mileage bike, that can still be put off for a while).

There may not be that many options locally on CL, so check the Flea Market here as well as StromTroopers to see what other Wee Stroms are going for.

Gustavo
    EJJ, RedEX and dp064 like this.
  9. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    Ill keep looking. Have not seen a gen 2 under 6.5 k. But ill keep looking. Thank you
  10. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can get gen. 3 for under 6.5k
    dp064 likes this.
  11. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

You can.. you can get a new gen 3 (2019) for $6500..
  12. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    You shop bikes lately? They are all a little high.
  13. dp064

Oddometer:
  14. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I REALLY wanted a red 2019 650 XT, but found a used 2018 with 4,000 miles for $4,900. Couldn't pass it up...
  15. dp064

Oddometer:
    Yep.. the red is great.. I wanted anything but black.. but.. I have black. I wish I could have made it to Stecoah.. you guys have a good time?
  16. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was GREAT! Can't wait to do it again in May!

The weather was shitty, but everyone had a great time, and the Iron Horse is a lot of fun. Three of us did about 100 miles of dirt on Friday. :thumb Most guys did the group ride to Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley Saturday. The food was great, and there were a lot of door prizes.
    RedEX, ROYAL COACHMAN and dp064 like this.
  17. motomem

motomem Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am gathering up stuff to add some accessories. When it comes to these - posilocks and positaps - what will be the most common sizes to use? I don't want to get sizes I don't need. Right now all I can think of using is one to tap into a trigger wire. However I am sure something else will come up.
  18. 88 Magnum

88 Magnum Made it special for me

Oddometer:
    The TL1000 clutch swap in my 1st gen went pretty smooth- pun intended.
    The clutch may need to disengage tad more. I've only run it about 30 miles. I'm glad I did it.
    TreasureState likes this.
  19. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Psycho18th, I'm about to install new steering head bearings on mine. I read that a cut-down socket works. But, I've researched to the "n"th degree and cannot find definitive information on the exact size socket to use. Can you enlighten us please? :ear
  20. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spears Racing cable kit?