VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. motomem

motomem Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another question -
    2011 DL650 - that has this skid plate and I want to put foot pegs like in the 2nd photo on.
    The upper of the skid plate is not flat all the way across. I am thinking of maybe bolting it in place on the first flat spot just before the bottom.
    Considering -
    Is that too low - it will mess with my ground clearance about just a'little but on curves would it drag?
    Will the front wheel touch it?
    Is the Aluminum skid plate hefty enough to support the foot pegs?
    Yep I am just full of questions. Hopefully someone that has been down the road with a 2011 DL650 will share your knowledge with me. I don't want to deal with trial and error when so many have been there done that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Note that this top skid plate is not supported by crashbars like the one you showed below. IIRC, the front has a clamp around the header. Adding anything that sticks out to it would make it a real liability if you ever drop the bike, even a garage type drop could cause major damage.

Gustavo
    davyjones, TreasureState and RedEX like this.
  3. motomem

Oddometer:
    The skid plate connects with a bolt that goes all the way through down low at the bottom of the oil pan. Then there are two separate connections near the back still down low. It doesn't connect at the header.
    The plate could get wrenched sideways pushing it into the header in a tip over if the pegs stick out far enough. Something about foot pegs being there even on the right plate just looks fragile. That set of pegs have been talked about on Vstormer. It may be that just wanting something to work isn't enough to assure it will.
    davyjones likes this.
  4. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/161585933237
    is what I used. Seems like the same metal used on an impact gun. 1/2 in ratchet size. At least 3” deep. It’s not a modified socket, just round with the teeth cut in. Makes it a much easier job. Hard part for me was getting the old bearings out. Takes a very long punch and lots of hammering.
    RedEX likes this.
  5. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for that information, Psycho18th. Very helpful, and I'm sure someone else will also find this useful down the road.
  6. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Motomem, did you already buy this? What brand is that?
    What Gustavo said. Just my opinion but I would not use anything that didn't also tie in to a set of crash bars, for added strength.
    TreasureState likes this.
  7. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    That's actually worse. That "skid plate" is designed to take some mild impacts in the vertical axis, not for any twisting motion. Imagine what would happen if your foot pegs on either side were to impact the ground and created a twisting motion that pulled the bolt out of or broke it and/or the oil pan... Bolting anything to that extends out of the plate seems like a Really Bad Idea (TM) to me.

Gustavo
    LexLeroy likes this.
  8. motomem

Oddometer:
    No I haven't bought the foot rest/pegs. I think you are right. It's not a good place. I also contacted Happy Trail about it. He didn't think it was a good idea either. Oh well a comfortable farkle that got away. :-)
  9. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have that skid plate. It’s from weld86. Good price and product. Glad to find something that didn’t need crash bars and such to bolt onto that would Still protect the pipes and oil filter from rocks.
    Here’s a link if anyone’s interested. http://www.weld86motoparts.com/prod...-Strom-Skid-Plate/p/33049319/category=8524604
    Rusty Shakelford and dp064 like this.
  10. NWRambler

NWRambler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one with the spring on. I see 53mm of shaft from top of bumper to the body. 78mm from bottom of spring to the body. I think the spring seat/spring bottom are about even with the base of the shaft, but I can't see that for certain. Let me know if you need more.
    LexLeroy likes this.
  11. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want the rear of my bike to be seen from space at night, I was thinking custom mounting 2 of these, one under each pannier. Question is, would it be possible as they're designed to be running and brake lights, just splice in I assume? Any thoughts or great ideas appreciated!

Screenshot (7).png
    davyjones likes this.
  12. motomem

Oddometer:
    It is very well made and the owner has been helpful even though I didn't buy it. It came on the bike.
  13. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Same, I'm on record expressing my satisfaction with this plate. I wouldn't, however, add peg bars to it.. My opinion only but I think that's asking for trouble. Send a quick email to Charlie at Weld86, he's a great guy.. he'll tell you for sure.
    Don

Edit: You posted before me.. apparently you've already been in touch.
    RedEX likes this.
  14. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly blue positaps on the strom, but for my cruise control I also used red. Buy in bulk off e Bay for around .50 cents ea. I use them for everything now so it's nice to have extras on hand.
    RedEX and motomem like this.
  15. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Happy Trails skid plate with the same bar / foot rests and I don't have any clearance issues.

Best regards,
    davyjones likes this.
  16. motomem

Oddometer:
    If I was going from the ground up I would be doing it the way you have it. My old chicken legs need a place to stretch out once in a while. The least expensive answer is to stop, get something to drink, pull my pants out of my ass and walk around.
    davyjones likes this.
  17. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thx.
  18. macuaig

macuaig Back in the Saddle

Oddometer:

I took one of these off the 650 I just picked up. It’s free to anybody in the DC area.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. Gustavo

Oddometer:

Absolutely, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. I like that there are options for some protection to the oil filter, header and crankcase that don't involve a huge plate that needs to be connected to crashbars. My Wee has a Touratech plate that also uses some bolts in the engine case for the front mounts. For the riding I do, it's great. You just have to be sure that you know the limitations of that mounting system, so that you don't end up with more damage to the engine from the plate getting hit too hard or twisted in the wrong direction.

Gustavo
  20. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Do you have footpeg lowering blocks? That one inch drop doesn't seem like much, but it sure helps a lot. Also, if your inseam will support it, a taller seat, giving you even more leg room and a more old-knee friendly angle. My Wee has the lowering blocks and a bead seat cover which effectively raises the seat about 1/2"

[​IMG]

Gustavo
    davyjones and RedEX like this.