VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it finally happend to me on the way to work this morning, knew it was just a matter of time.
    Guy pulled out in a red mustang, didn’t see me. It was pretty close, a few feet from impact.
    I’m posting this because the Vstrom ABS performed flawlessly. Under emergency braking the rear tire began to lock, then chirp chirp chirp stop.
    Well done Suzuki, be safe out there guys.
  2. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Glad you're ok man. Close calls are never fun.

The brakes on my 2014 1000 ABS are some of the best I've experienced on a motorcycle.
  3. motomem

motomem Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always believed that non-abs bikes and rear brake lockups are where all the - I laid her down to keep from hitting that SOB" came from.
    davyjones, AZbiker, JasonFL and 3 others like this.
  4. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree.
    Had I been on my old Ducati it may have ended quite differently. I am a solid believer in ABS now. I've practiced emergency braking in empty parking lots but have never in 20 years of riding had a car pull out on me like that. It was very strange as if the whole world went into slow motion. I was going 55 in a 60mph zone.
  5. motomem

Oddometer:
    It seems the closer we are to a life or death situation the harder it is to make a measured response. Braking is one of those things. ABS takes the need for measurement away. We just do it.
    I am glad you had ABS.
  6. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded from a non-ABS '09 to an ABS '16. Fewer miles and newer bike were a big part of my motivation, but ABS was the clincher. Watch this if you have doubt about the efficacy of ABS -

IMHO, it should be standard equipment on all motorcycles.
    davyjones, JasonFL and dp064 like this.
  7. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    After twelve years of owning a V-Strom DL1000 (bought new by myself) my K8 model's factory fitted heated grips failed, they started going faulty on me around nine months ago and I let it go as then it was coming into the spring etc...

So last week I bought a new pair of Oxford 'Touring' Hot-Grips and have them now installed on the Strom, wOw what a huge improvement over the standard Suzuki's grips. Even the feel of the new pattern grips are lovely, and these now get H.O.T.
    There's five separate heat controlled settings, anything around 40/50% is really toasty wearing winter gloves here in Scotland during this wet/dull autumn season.

The new Oxford grips are really an easy install/fit, best take your time and do a neat job, make sure the glue sets for 24 hours as per instructions. Great stuff!

[​IMG]Oxford Hot-Grips by APM Photography, on Flickr

Just thought I'd share my experience with you all.

Cheers;
    mac
  8. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I'm looking at a set of panniers from Shad for my wee.. the Terra series. Apparently you have to use the 36ltr case to on the exhaust side but can use a 47ltr on the non exhaust side. I like symmetry and all but it seems like the larger case may be useful. Am I missing a down side?
    Don
    davyjones likes this.
  9. dovetailredux

dovetailredux bakery hound

Oddometer:
    What year is your 650? The newer model 650s with the lower exhaust should be able to fit symmetrical panniers. The older bikes with the high exhaust require an asymmetrical setup (smaller bag on the exhaust side).
    davyjones, dp064 and Davidprej like this.
  10. dp064

Oddometer:
    It's a 2019.. I'd be fine with a 36ltr on both sides but the 47 is just about $30 more and I was curious as to whether there's a down side to a larger box on one side.
  11. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Down side, um yea 47 L is frickin HUGE! :p
    I own a 47 liter topcase that i consider too big for everyday use. Usually just go with Givi E22 sidecases, then for multi-day trips add 36 L Givi topcase. Only reserve the 47 for trips over a week in length.

But YMMV, that is strictly my opinion. Do what makes you happy!
    davyjones and dp064 like this.
  12. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the racks are asymmetrical to fit over the exhaust, which is why they recommend the smaller bag on the right. Installing a 47ltr bag on the right is going to make it stick out a lot more. Since you live in Nashville, you probably don't split lanes, so the increase in width is not a consideration for that. These bags already stick out quite a bit, due to the mounting frames. Older DLs would develop a weave at higher speeds when they had saddlebags on, the wider the bags are, the worse the aerodynamic drag is. I haven't been following on the V-Strom specific forums to see if that is still an issue or maybe most people don't expect to go that fast when they have all the luggage on... :augie

Ultimately, you have to decide how much luggage space do you really need. Do you have a topcase too? I used to run 3 36 ltr Givi bags, and that was a lot of space. It prompted me to overload the bike, because there was room for more "stuff". These days I tour with a single 40-50ltr bag (I prefer a waterproof duffel on the pillion seat and rear rack, but sometimes a top case, for two-up). If it doesn't fit in that bag, it's staying home. The only time I take more things is if we are going two-up on a longer trip.

Gustavo
    davyjones, RedEX and dp064 like this.
  13. dp064

Oddometer:
    Agreed.. plus it sticks out which seems worse than sticking up..
  14. dp064

Oddometer:
    Had not yet thought of the overloading, thanks for that.. thanks for everyone's feedback! Think I'm gonna go with 37 left and right.. I have a 30l Kreiga bag to use in the place of a top case. That's over 100l of space.. double what I used to backpack with.
    Don
    RedEX likes this.
  15. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not what you were asking and Shad makes some mighty fine cases but I have an aversion to side opening cases. Top loaders are sooo much easier to use and load. If you're going to do any camping, you can strap tents, pads and seats to the top of top loaders.
  16. HaveTwo

HaveTwo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread now applies to me!

Bought a '20 650 base model after my wife saw in person that it was indeed an upright position. She was convinced it was more forward leaning than my previous R1150R. But we rode away (well, I rode away, she took the truck, which we promptly loaded up at Lowes, but I digress) Thought about the 1k, but every time I try big bikes, they just feel their weight. First time I have functional ABS also! It's pretty much a deployment bike, as my R1150R got crunched in a parking lot while I was getting stuff in a store about 2 months before I left. So I had my excuse for a new bike and gear while I work on the other decrepit denizens of my Home for Entropy Motorcycles, and try to avoid driving my truck as much.

News to me that you can put a bike on a credit card, BTW. Wasn't thinking about really buying it, so the only other option I had was a well check that sits in my wallet.:uhoh

So after I order an Aerostich R3, and see what's left of my budget, exciting things like a rear Givi rack and some kind of light-duty skid plate are in order. Probably a center stand as well. Mostly commuting, occasional dirt road type stuff. Mostly excited for a bike I won't *need* to work on, and can just use. That's not what I'm used to, see the three bikes "being worked on" :baldy
    davyjones, RedEX, ag_streak and 3 others like this.
  17. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your service and welcome to the wonderful world of VStrom!

jathkajoe
    ag_streak likes this.
  18. dp064

Oddometer:
    That's a thought.. what bags are you using?
    Davidprej likes this.
  19. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    Makes me want to go out and hug my Wee
    davyjones and Davidprej like this.
  20. motomem

Oddometer:
    I had a bike with the top load metal. Damn I liked them. The space was so much more usable. My current bike has Givi bags. They open from the side and from the top with a combination lock. I hate them. They look and act brand new but I hate them. First person I see that offers a trade will have my ear. This is a shameless hint.
    ag_streak, Davidprej and dp064 like this.