VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gustavo likes this.
  2. bolerus

bolerus n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks...

So if I have this correct.

Standard dog bone links are 14cm. The 20cm ones I saw would drop the back by 6mm. And I'd then drop the front by 6mm aswell?

Edit....no 6cm lower...silly boy. That is too much by the sounds of it.....

I went into the Suzuki dealer and asked and the guy there said there are 2... A 25 and 40...I thought he said cm....but now I am doubting that...

And that would give me about 15mm lower seat height...

Would that effect handling?
    And what about having my missus on the back.

Currently the pre load is set at pretty much max weight because my brother delivered it to me and he is, well a heavy lad. I never adjusted it because my partner likes to come on the back with me..... And didn't think adjusting it every other ride was practical
  3. bolerus

bolerus n00b

Oddometer:
    The kit on eBay says it drops the back by 25mm. And that gives a 15mm lower seat... But based on the 1mm =2.5mm wouldn't that be 75mm lower seat. And how much would the front need to be dropped to keep handling?

I heard somebody had adjustable dog bones. Anybody know where sells them?
  4. Eric80

Eric80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is all the info you need: https://www.adventuretech.biz/gen-1-and-2-dl650-and-gen-1-dl1000.html
  5. Wataflake

Wataflake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys , I'm 6 ft , 200 pounds . I hear you on the forks....they are valved and sprung too soft . My thing is ....the unexpected slam from a hole or heave in the road to the rear end . Now i have some place to start , thanks again.
  6. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Standard Gen1 dogbones are 140 mm center-to-center. Gen 2 SV650 dogbones are 143.5 mm center-to-center. Like the DL's dogbones they're made of steel, they're the same thickness and the bolt holes are the same diameter. They drop the rear about 9 mm.

It's tough to go wrong with factory parts when they're appropriate, IMHO.
    dp064, TreasureState and RedEX like this.
  7. ishmac

ishmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've dropped the front fork height by around a quarter of an inch on my K8 DL1000 for the past eight years or so, it really helps the bike turn-in quicker/better.

I wouldn't go back to the standard fork settings.

Cheers;
    Peter
    Scotland
    LexLeroy likes this.
  8. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, i tried a corbin seat off a 1st Gen 1000 on to my 08 wee and to my surprize it didn't fit...
  9. Rusty Shakelford

Oddometer:
    when i bought my 08, they rolled it out to the parking lot. I tried to put it on the center stand and couldn't. I was having to lift the weight of the bike. Thats when I realized it had been lowered with longer dog bones. I looked in the side box and found the original ones, got the sales guy and had them put it back to stock before I left. With stock height, riding 2 up, in some turns i was scraping pegs or centerstand, not sure. I raised the rear with shorter dog bones and have been diggin it ever since.
    RedEX likes this.
  10. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I suspect you need heavier rear springs.
    Rusty Shakelford likes this.
  11. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost everyone does. At 200 lbs in full kit and riding solo my DL1000K8 was just past the optimal sag. Two up would have been intolerable, even with a 90 lb. spinner riding pillion.
  12. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  13. Rusty Shakelford

Oddometer:
    Will buy new shock one day, factory works well for now especially after raising it. No more than my wife rides it would not benefit me to add a stiffer spring. I max out the preload when she rides then adjust it back down for solo.
  14. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dtysdalx2, justdirtyfun and jathkajoe like this.
  15. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ad says they buy preowned bikes. You're local, what'll they give you on your old one?

jathkajoe
  16. pfettig77

Oddometer:
    Something tells me I'd take a real big hit on my bike compared to what I could sell it outright for in the spring. I'll ask though.
  17. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    !! Damn, that's better than I got my used 2015 for this spring. Good thing I like the sexy wasp look better than cyclops, or I would be jealous.
    ag_streak likes this.
  18. pfettig77

Oddometer:
    I found a gen 2 near me for $3500 and it's all farkled out and I wondered if there really is that big of a difference between gen 2 and 3. Maybe the farkles are more valuable than the model upgrade. Of course I can add farkles to a new one but I can't make an older one new.

I emailed them today but something tells me they're gonna tell me they'd offer me $2500 for my g650GS, thereby negating the good deal on the Strom.
  19. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    And you can bet that advertised price doesn't include a few fees tacked on... Dimes to donuts they'll add freight and dealer setup, at minimum...
    pfettig77 and TreasureState like this.
  20. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just glad to be here.

Oddometer:
    I thought of checking out Sportland there for a while. Stop by and get a OTD price in person. :hmmmmm

Never made it to Milwaukee though. Only been there once.