VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine was similar on a recent front/rear sprocket/chain change. Are we over lubricating and neglecting to wash behind the "gears"?
  2. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yea looks like i'm wasting chain lube, LOL.
    A wonderful blend of chain oil and sand: Well the bike is at least a pound lighter now, and the handling and acceleration are noticeably improved! :D
  3. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worth ensuring the clutch actuating rod and the countershaft seals aren’t leaking. I had to replace both on my ‘04 wee.
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty reasonable for the life of the chain. I've seen worse.

If you use a Teflon based dry-lube you could avoid having to clean up that mess next time you change chain/sprockets.

Gustavo
    RedEX and Mumbles24 like this.
  5. ForestHill

ForestHill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't have anything to grind the spacer down with, so I just tried wrapping the inner connector end bits with masking tape. Seems to have done the trick for now. Let's see how long that holds.
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    My brake lights, turn signals, and dash went out when I was on a ride today. Figured out a fuse blew fairly quickly, then blew again very shortly after starting the bike again, and now I need to track down why. Everything has been fine since I got the bike over a year ago and while sitting stopped and looking at a map I saw a white cloud of acrid smoke. I noticed a hole began burning through the little flashing rear brake light (Hyperlite). Got home and checked it out.
    davyjones likes this.
  7. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Figured it out. I saw this hole burning after I did the fuse swap and after pulling it out of the circuit and hooking it up directly to the battery... big flame and now bigger burned hole!
    It's a Hyperlite and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen? (I initially peeled off the outer layer of textured ABS in the hopes of repairing it but obviously it's dead Jim!)

20201130_162637.jpg 20201130_162705.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  8. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today's tip:
    If you own a 2011 Wee Strom, and install the ROX 1 1/2" block offset riser, you will need to extend the front brake line by at least two inches. Of course, you can fuck around with re-routing the stock line, but it's a waste of time. I had a line made that was 3" longer than stock and it's a perfect fit.
    88 Magnum, davyjones, motomem and 3 others like this.
  9. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yep. Good advice, MrBob. That subject was recently brought up on StromTroopers, as well. With 1" SW-Motech solid riser block, no problem. Same riser but 2 inch, no way! I installed the AdventureTech (really, Galfer) +2" extension brake line, and it works fine. I bought the Eastern Beaver extension cables, too, and installed them, but they weren't really necessary. Clutch cable is about at its limit though, and if I were to go any higher it would require a longer after-market cable, I think.

I was already taking the forks off anyway, to replace the seals and also replace tbe steering head bearings, so that made access to the brake line union above the radiator a little easier.
    davyjones and TreasureState like this.
  10. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Bolt head on that union is 12mm and there are washers in there that are just itching to break free. This was an excellent opportunity to bleed the front brake system. If your brake line fittings have a bend, make sure the lower one won't interfere with full lock turns. So glad I caught that before buttoning everything up.
    eBay sells a number of Chinesium setbacks but, are the savings worth it?
    davyjones likes this.
  11. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Hm. The bar risers I used were SW-Motech, something I had laying around from a previous bike. No "Chinesium." But the one extra inch, (from 1" to 2"), made just the right amount of difference, at least for me.

Yea the Galfer union block is built differently than OEM. I had it installed but it just didn't seem right, until I did a bit of Googling and found some photos of the correct installation. It was one of those "Doh!" moments...
    Well worth the time and effort though!
  12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, don't bypass the fuse like that or you might be melting wires up and down the harness that will be a bitch to find. I hope you got lucky and the hyperlight was the only thing that went Chernobyl.
    Wait, if you removed the Hyperlight from the harness first what made you think it was the suspect?
    B-Mac likes this.
  13. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it was confusing the way I worded it. I pulled it out of the circuit altogether because I originally saw a very small hole begin burning where you see. It was confirmed when I put the second fuse in while stopped and lost all brake lights, signals, and dash. After pulling it out once I got home I reconfirmed it again by attaching it for a moment directly to the battery and saw a 1/2" flame. I haven't ridden the bike, but I'm pretty confident that was the problem.
  14. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aye....good...carry on!
  15. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Any respectable KLR owner would see that as perfectly good and reapply it.
    RedEX likes this.
  16. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Does the front axle on the Wee require a 12mm hex?
  17. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Yes
    MrBob likes this.
  18. LukeMacPU

LukeMacPU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. MrBob

Oddometer:
  20. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdventureTech will sell you a chunk of a 12mm Allen wrench for less than a Starbucks coffee.

mine works great. Put it in, put the socket on and turn the handle.

Jathkajoe
    Motor7, RedEX, TreasureState and 2 others like this.