VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I went from bland to bland-er. My Vee could be a hoot with the torque of the v twin. If the VStrom is the Subaru (does almost anything, but excels at nothing), my Tenere is the John Deere. Chug, chug, chug. Maybe I should disable the traction control...:muutt I see another VStrom in my future. probably a 650 as age and arthritis creep up on me.
    warkshop and Cal like this.
  2. motoretro

motoretro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The NC is quite possibly the easiest to maintain LC motorcycle made, especially in the manual trans version.
  3. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was pretty excited about the Tenere 700, but then I realized the latest-gen V-strom 650 (2017-up) has just about the same HP. The Tenere's suspension and 21" front wheel may make it better off road, but my stock Strom with Shinko 804/805s gets me anywhere I'm willing to take it. Picking up 500 pound bikes sucks!
    TreasureState, dp064 and RedEX like this.
  4. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question for the mechanics here, pro and amateur. I have just removed the shock linkage for servicing on my 2015 DL650 after 40,000 km of pretending it is a dirt bike. It will need to be cleaned and re-greased but everything looks fine. I now have a question about the swing arm pivot. Now that the wheel is out and the linkage removed I can feel significant side to side play in the swing arm pivot. I have not loosened the pivot nuts (don't have the special tool) I'd just like to know if this axial play is normal? I have not measured it but I'd guess its over 1mm. Is this by design? I know of one other V-Strom owner that put shims in his to reduce the play but I have to wonder if Suzuki designed it this way for a reason. The manual talks about the torque for the nut and lock nut but I haven't seen a spec. for endplay. Any thoughts?
  5. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just as an FYI, it seems to me that whenever the subject of valve checks has come up inmates have reported a wide range of prices. Unless you're in tight with that local shop I'd go a little further with the research.
    dp064 and RedEX like this.
  6. warkshop

warkshop uncbob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a quote today for the 15K mile service. Valves, fluid and plug changes, everything. Approximately $600. SE Ohio.
    I do believe a Wee is in my future.
    TreasureState and dp064 like this.
  7. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    That seems to be in the ball park. A couple of pages back another inmate got quoted $550. There is a lot of prep work involved, but the valve check itself is no more complex than on any other bike. Yeah, the downside of having a V configuration is that you still have two sets of cams to remove even if only one valve needs adjustment on each cylinder, but it's doable by any shade-tree mechanic. The biggest advantage to me of doing it myself is that I know exactly what was done, what the gaps were before/after, and I have that log for reference to see how it changes by the next service.

Gustavo
    Kegler, TreasureState, RedEX and 2 others like this.
  8. meemuh

meemuh Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked this up this morning. 2007 DL1000 with 15k miles. Roads are clear here, so took a couple short 30 degree rides...and then, to storage for a winters nap.

Attached Files:

9. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a '16 with 15k miles to upgrade from my '09 with 42k. Spent a long time thinking about what other bike I'd want. Honda CBX 500 came closest, but Vstrom still tipped the scales in its favor. FYI, plan on riding MX, Central and S. America on it. I did not want single cylinder. And I'm not into hard core off roading. YMMY.
    Glenn Tom and ag_streak like this.
  10. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TDY,
    I did a search and it took me to a thread on the VSRI forum on swingarm endplay. In that there is mention of the lateral gap not being bigger than 0.3-0.5mm. Not sure of that poster's source.

I haven't found that spec yet in my dl1000 shop manual, hard to read it in my phone.

Jathkajoe

Attached Files:

11. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious if you were experiencing any "wobbling" during spirited cornering on the street?
  12. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There should be no side play in a swinging arm, I think you have a bearing on the way out.
    Mine is the 1000 but has no play in 33k miles though I have greased the bearings twice in that time.
    You will always get some up and down movement with a link system but side play is a no no.
    My bet is it'll just get worse from here on now there's play. I had a yam fzs600 20 years ago now that had about 1mm of play in a year of use from new, by 2 years it was 3-5mm and the bike was all over the road. Hence why I now grease all the bearings and links from new or at the first tyre change.
  13. warkshop

warkshop uncbob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit late to chime in,,but. I'm in SE Ohio and was quoted a few days ago about $600 for a 14.5K mile service. Valves, oil and filter , coolant, spark plugs and air filter. More than a valve adjust.
  14. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    No side play unless you want it to handle like a Norton Commando.
  15. jathkajoe

Oddometer:
    Lex,
    Took Greyhound to pick up the new to me DL1. Rode it home the next day. It was the first bike since I rode a Norton P-11 in '67 that put "that" kind of smile on my face. The DL still does it every time too.

Jathkajoe
    warkshop and ag_streak like this.
  16. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never taken a Greyhound bus in my life! That sounds like cool way to do a "ride and ride"! :clap
    jimmyb likes this.
  17. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Still on the hunt for some good footpegs. I do like the Goldwing GL1800 pegs that I've been running, but looking for something more suitable for off-pavement/dirt use. Tried the cheapie Amazon pegs but they didn't work out for various reasons.

Has anybody tried these SW-Motech "Ion" footpegs? They look interesting. Definitely nice and wide compared to stock.

https://sw-motech.us/products/ergonomics/footrests/4052572182758.htm
  18. jathkajoe

Oddometer:
    From Tri-Cities to Portland the choice was take Amtrak at 0530 and miss a day of work or Greyhound at 1430 and get in a day's work. SIL and grandkids picked me up in Portland, we had a light dinner and they took me to the seller's place in the dark. Looked over the DL, made the deal, and left in a black-dark night with monsoonal rain, typical for October there. Slept at their house, the next day dawned sunny and dry. Headed home on I84 to Cascade Locks then crossed to WA 14, my favorite route to or from Portland. The PO and I are pretty much the same size, suspension, ergos all fit me well. Sure like the DL. Had a car trip back to Portland a month or so later and brought home the extra set of wheels that came with the bike. It was a good bike with all the extras I'd put on it, low miles; it continues to serve me well making those smiles mile after mile.

Best reason I can think of to take a Greyhound.

Jathkajoe
    TreasureState, RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  19. reasonable

reasonable n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi RedEX , got Motechs on my 650 .
    Like them a lot , strong well made , wide & comfortable and handy to have a choice of 2 heights .
    They're the bees knees
    RedEX likes this.
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Wait till you ride a BV350 scooter with abs, traction control and heated grips... you'll love the ease of it all...not that I would know :-)