VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to be doing the forks soon and wondering if anyone has had experience with the aftermarket seals. Is it worth it to just get the OEM kit?
    Cal likes this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have changed fork seals twice in 105,oo km both times after market, first was all balls and second was just generic seals while riding in Mexico, no problems
    davyjones and pixilated like this.
  3. Oil Burner

Oil Burner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't done the fork seals on the DL yet, but I did a set of All Balls on my Valkyrie. No leaks yet, but the dust seals were an absolute MF-er to get in. I'll stick to OE from now on.
    davyjones likes this.
  4. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Use OEM. I’ve had the after market leak straight away. How old are they? I’ve found them cluttered with grit/dirt. Easy to clean out with thin plastic and if not damaged or old, stop leaking.
    davyjones, dp064 and pixilated like this.
  5. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure how old they are. I’ve had this bike about 2 yrs and have already cleaned the seals a few times. The fluid is looking dirty and I figured I should swap seals and fluids along with some gaiters. I ride a good amount of dirt and figured it good measure.
    Cal likes this.
  6. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, currently on Road Trip in Mexico with issue with a Vstrom 1000 2014 Fuel Pump. I am at the south border in Tapachula Chiapas and need to be back on the 7th in Mexico City. Has anyone any idea and I can get this part down there next monday ? It seems only in Mexico City I can find it Thank You all. IMG_8599.jpg IMG_8600.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  7. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    @Motoman66 - Big bikes sell in very small numbers (if they've ever even seen one) outside the bigger cities. Most dealers have nothing in stock, not even consumables (I had to go to Mexico city to find a 530 chain and sprockets in stock on one trip). I doubt you can get it shipped from the US any faster.

Gustavo
    Motoman66 likes this.
  8. BlueSkyGuy

BlueSkyGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRP, SLD,129, 421, 50, 219,6, 33, 250, etc...
    Always oem fork seals when available.
  9. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Gracias Gustavo. Yes you are right. I found a very good mechanic here but he needs the part. I have friends in Mexico City who might be able to ship to me the parts if I can locate them there.
  10. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Did you find the websites for the large dealers in CDMX?

Gustavo
  11. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motoman66, Gustavo,

are there any auto fuel pumps the fit? One of those may be more common.

Jathkajoe
    motomem likes this.
  12. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    On Mercado Libre. Or do you have an other web site you recommand ? Suzuki dealer wants to sell full kit of fuel pump and takes 25 days from Japan :(:(:muutt
  13. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Asked the same to the mechanic. He told me no but will insist tomorrow. Maybe from an old tsuru car :D
    motomem likes this.
  14. Just Cliff

Just Cliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check with Quantum fuel systems, they sell a quality replacement pump & ship worldwide. Pump, filter & o rings are about $75, expiated shipping might be high though. I have about 50,000 trouble free miles on their pump in my C14.
    TreasureState and davyjones like this.
  15. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Tsuru is too new. Maybe an old Bocho... :lol3

Try one of these:
    https://www.suzukitlalnepantla.com.mx/departamento-de-piezas/

https://www.proshopmexico.com/refacciones-contacto.php

https://www.mrm.com.mx/categoria-refacciones

The parts fiche shows a different part number for the 2014 vs. 2015+ DL1K, but the internals look the same to me. Also supported by this:

https://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/pro...0a-2014-2015-replaces-15100-31j01-15100-31j00

Maybe you can find one of those easier than the OEM parts (plus, it looks like Suzuki wants to sell you the entire assembly, for ~$500 in the US), this would be a much cheaper fix.

I found it on E-Bay too:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FPF-Fuel-P...188866?hash=item2f45f5a302:g:1kAAAOSwwR9e~R1E

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Gas-P...:Vstrom+1000|Submodel:DL1000A+ABS|Make:Suzuki

Based on the second listing, it interchanges with a lot more bikes than Suzuki would lead you to believe, because they only sell the complete assembly, which may indeed be different

Gustavo
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I changed my last set of seals they were well fooked, cleaning them would have done nothing. A friend picked the forks up to take a look, turned them upside down and covered himself with oil, it poured out past the seals.

Aftermarket seals and sliders, they've worked fine since.
  17. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Motoman,

Does the pump run and it's just not pushing enough fuel? If so, the internal filter is clogged. Ive read (I don't remember where) that someone got his working by connecting to a power source ce but reversing polarity and pumping kerosene through it backwards until it ran clear. Worthwhile trying if you're only other option is to replace the pump. You've got nothing to lose in that case.

Vinnie
    TreasureState, Motoman66 and RedEX like this.
  18. zubinblack

zubinblack n00b

Oddometer:
    I have an issue that I am not sure I should be worried about. I hear a whining and it is hard to hear where it is coming from at around 40 MPH. It disappears at faster speeds at least that I can hear. My bike has about 29,000 miles on it. Thinking on going on a long trip and I don’t what to find out that it is something major once out on the road.
  19. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're planning a trip, then you'll be wanting to have a look at your wheel bearings, but knowing how many miles are on the bike helps with diagnosis.
  20. Fatch

Fatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally bought my 'strom! 2014, 650 with only 7.5k miles on her. Rode her home for a bit over 2 hours - purred like a kitten the whole way.

Now, time to start adding accessories. What are some must-haves? I've got the aluminum hard cases, barkbusters, and an adjustable windshield, but that's pretty much it.

Any Skidplate/crash bar suggestions? I'm a'scared to take her off the pavement at all without at least those.
    davyjones and ag_streak like this.