VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to be able to charge phone and GPS, and plug in a Battery Tender.
    davyjones, Fatch and RedEX like this.
  2. Fatch

Fatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah! I've also got a basic battery tender connection - previous owner had a usb port plugged into it under the seat but I suspect it had been draining the battery passively. I'm looking at a 2-port USB connection and at least a phone mount for up front.
    davyjones likes this.
  3. NulladnVoid

NulladnVoid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a similar issue on a Vee. A rumble/ low howl started up just under 40mph then went away by 50mph, but only going straight. It would not happen when cornering. On mine it turned out that Shinko 705 front tire resonated at that speed at the tire pressure I was using. The tire had been run underinflated quite a bit and was scalloped.
    I put on the cheap Trailsmart tires from Chaparral, problem solved.
    davyjones likes this.
  4. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adventuretech.biz for a fork brace.

When shopping out skid plates, take note of where they mount to and avoid mounting to engine. Ravetech is good bang for buck, but takes a little bit to ship due to being out of country.

Also look at http://www.easternbeaver.com for electrical bits. He used OEM connectors and makes good quality kits. Headlight relay kit and the fuse box are two that stand out.

Welcome to the crew!
  5. MrBob

Oddometer:
    You may have seen the thread on handlebar mounted iPhones having their auto focus get whacked. It happened to me and was replaced under warranty by Apple.
    A number of inmates are ordering the dual USB port with a an LED voltage meter - very handy to be able to check your charge level at a glance. Mine cost around 15.00 on Amazon.
    davyjones and Fatch like this.
  6. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Yup. Volt meter. Keep it above 12.6 (taken at the battery) when on the move.
  7. OldGypsy

OldGypsy FoolForDirt

Oddometer:
    Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
    " Mine cost around 15.00 on Amazon."

Link? Thanks.
    Fatch and prepper like this.
  8. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfect squeeze with vibration mount and wireless charger
    Pricey but quality
  9. MrBob

Oddometer:
    One of the USB ports on mine stopped working almost immediately, so I can't recommend that brand, but there are tons of them on Amazon.
  10. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Hola Gustavo. I found the part on Mercado Libre.Already shipped to Tapachula but DHL sucks and could not retrieve the part which arrived today at their warehouse. Will received it tomorrow (no time frame) and hopefully it will work and ready to ride on thursday or friday.
  11. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    thank You Vinnie. Part shipped . Will keep you all posted once Bike is running
    TreasureState and currenv like this.
  12. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    What did you find on Mercado Libre, the pump itself or the entire assembly? I hope it's just the pump, you can buy a lot tacos de pescado or tlayudas for the difference... :kbasa2

Gustavo
    davyjones likes this.
  13. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read on the internet (so it must be true) that if you install an LED headlamp you don't need the relay, as you're running a lot less juice through the switch. If you go that route, Sealight LEDs are a simple install. Much brighter than stock.
    davyjones likes this.
  14. Motoman66

Motoman66 Green Rider

Oddometer:
    Just the pump. Not all assembly. 1000 Pesos (50 USD). Bike fixed today. Heading to Salina Cruz tomorrow
  15. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Maybe. Maybe it is still a good idea. Simply put an LED bulb conversion does use less amperage. But there is STILL a lot of power going through that system. Check the wattage used. Most LED give that value somewhere in the literature. While a low beam V Strom may have a 55 watt draw incandescent, the LED may still be a fair percentage of that.
    davyjones and RedEX like this.
  16. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock lamps draw about 50W each, the LEDs 23, so about half the draw. Pretty significant drop, although a relay would drop it a lot more.
    davyjones likes this.
  17. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    Oil change and inspection time. :bluduh
  18. 605Zee

605Zee Beach bum

Oddometer:
    Hello strommers,

Do any of you happen to know of a longer throttle tube that would fit on an 09' 650? I'm looking to add a pair of progrip 714's and the fun side is about 1/2" too long. I rest half my palm on the bar end as is so I'd like to avoid cutting her down.
  19. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This afternoon I took out my 15' DL650 and I noticed a noise I have not heard before. My best guess was it came from the rear cylinder and it corresponded to the rpms. My first thought was the cam chain needed a little tightening, but I'm not so sure. I did a little research and started it back up. It seemed to go away and I used a screw driver as a stethoscope. I couldn't hear anything so I think it was more prevalent when it was hot. I pulled the clutch in and it was not in the basket. It is time for a valve check as I'm at 12,700, but it didn't sound like a ticking noise. I'm guessing check the valves and keep on going, please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards,
    davyjones likes this.
  20. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Also on the internet; and LED bulb used in a reflective housing not designed for an LED is not very efficient.
    I have what I think is a poorly adjusted valve. The quote to check them was 550.00, but the service manager is willing to go less if I remove the plastic.
    Pollack likes this.