VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    My final word in this: I sent an email and photos to Happy Trails to let them know what I'd encountered. Tim answered very soon after and was quite responsive. Neither of us know why my stock Strom encountered this problem, but HP customer service was on the money.
  2. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're probably right. Although I've always seen ABS as a tool that should (hopefully) kick in when your natural abilities fail you, not something to rely on.

And that said, I don't know that I could bring myself to take my shiny new bike, get it rolling down the road at speed, and then grab a handful of front brakes with the *intention* of locking them up. Just not sure my brain would let me do that.
    RedEX and Davidprej like this.
  3. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try it in your car first, if it has abs. You'll realize it isn't all that scary!
    Frey and Davidprej like this.
  4. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well nobody says that you should go 50 mph and then gorilla the brake until you fall down!
    Go on a gravel road or grassy surface get into 2nd gear and tap the brake (one at a time) increasingly hard until the ABS kicks in. You will learn the traction of your tires and how it feels when you loose traction and the ABS saves your bacon.
    Frey, RedEX, Davidprej and 1 other person like this.
  5. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do a search on how to use abs brakes on a moto. Even State Farm Insurance has a piece on the topic

My moto doesn't have abs but my car and school bus do. Learning how to use abs is good.
    Frey and wilddoktor like this.
  6. Frey

Frey motocrossdresser

Oddometer:
    I believe I can make it work on my 07 F650GS getting some longer travel.

Probabaly need a lighter spring but still cheaper than anything else around and I like tinkering

svs likes this.
  7. Randyincolo

Randyincolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is she worth? After being rear ended by a car that ran a red light last year I decided to quit riding forever. My Z900 was totaled but still have my 2018 V Strom. Its loaded with frackles including Givi hard bags, custom seat by Terry, center stand, Givi windshield, engine guards, etc. I do not have the motivation to remove the parts and sell them so they all go with the bike.
    Bike is cherry, not a mark, 1200 miles.
    Any idea of current value?
  8. yrunvs

yrunvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I did. I tossed it in the recycling. I wonder what's up with that?
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my 20ish years of driving cars and riding motorcycles, I only remember having my ABS kick on once, in my Mini, about 5 years ago. The ABS wasn't scary, but having to use it was, and to be fair, it did save my ass.

But something tells me it might be a bit different on 2 wheels. Everything else is.
  10. MrBob

Oddometer:
    If you live a snowy climate, Minnesota, in my case, hearing the ABS kick in becomes routine.
    zap2504, vanislejay and Baroquenride like this.
  11. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lived in Michigan for 5 years, and the only time I found myself in a situation where my ABS had to assist me was in the middle of the summer. Never once (that I can remember) had the ABS kick on in the snow or ice.
  12. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you're a vastly superior driver. :fpalm
    vanislejay likes this.
  13. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Regarding ABS, here's a pretty convincing video -

Remember, every time the bike uses the outriggers to stay up, that means he went down in real life. Seems to me that ABS is 100 times more important on two wheels than four.
  14. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to get a ride on one of those outrigger bikes, looks like a hoot! I had the ABS kick in once in a deer situation, probably would have been OK without it, I've ridden out skids on other bikes. Nice thing about ABS is I got down to about 15 mph, then just let off the brakes and went on my way. Not having to come to a full stop on a busy highway was much appreciated.
  15. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't say that. You said if you drive regularly in the snow, it becomes commonplace. I'm just saying that's not been my experience.
    ag_streak likes this.
  16. snorkie

snorkie I"m a nice guy.

Oddometer:
    I can get my 650 to engage the ABS from 25 MPH in a parking lot. Practice a panic stop and you'll get to experience it. It is worth understanding the feel at low speed. This is something we should all do occasionally to keep our skills up!
    Davidprej and davyjones like this.
  17. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    My 650 ABS will sometimes engage while running over deteriorated asphalt with the brakes applied
    RedEX likes this.
  18. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could start here
    2018 Suzuki DL1000XAL8 V-Strom 1000XT Prices and Values - NADAguides
  19. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    That ABS vid displays what happens if the rider has no clue how to brake. He just locks 'em up. Some of us might fare better.
    ABS is a good technology, I agree. I'm talking about the extremes the vid shows. How about allowing that rider to properly apply the brakes, to see a real world difference.
  20. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    The ABS on my 2015 is so smooth (compared to my 90's first gen BMW K bike ABS) that I can hardly tell when they activate. I have a long gravel driveway so I practice kicking them on every couple rides and have never felt unstable, although I am upright and going straight. You can always try the rear first. The k1100RS was chattery enough to make me ill wont to try the front on such a heavy bike, but the dl650 is like butter.