VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    To each their own. The places I prefer to go riding, the population density probably isn't even 1% of what it is there in the Northeast. Some parts of it don't even get to 1 person/square mile, including the cities. For comparison, Harney County, Oregon is twice the size of the State of Connecticut but less than half the population of the town of Greenfield, MA.

Thus for me, More Noise just means More Tired at the end of the day. Stock exhaust works great for what I do. If I could find a perfectly quiet gas-powered motorcycle that could cover open-road at a sufficient pace, I'd write a deposit check on the spot.
    Gustavo, herseyb and snorkie like this.
  2. The Sexy Medic

The Sexy Medic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As per the usual, I'm just going to leave this here.......
    2thdrinOR, herseyb, yrunvs and 2 others like this.
  3. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Has anyone moved the Givi top case back to provide more room for the passenger ?
  4. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    People have been doing it for the last 16 years that I aware of.

..Tom
    husky390 and 10K like this.
  5. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    husky390 and 10K like this.
  6. 2thdrinOR

2thdrinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's some serious big bike skills!
    The Sexy Medic likes this.
  7. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Pollack likes this.
  8. Mark Ryder

Mark Ryder Kaboom !!!

Oddometer:
    Fellow ADVrs
    Need some info on the used 12 650 v strom i bought. What do you run for tire pressure. I have anakee's on it , I weight 170 lbs all geared up. Ride solo. I like to put handlebar risers on. Looking for a simple bolt on situation. 1 up 1 back or 2 pivoting risers without too much work. Besides that I really like the bike, I got it to replace my aging BMW K75, soon to up for sale.
    TIA Mark Ryder
  9. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I usually run my Shinkos at 33psi on street 15-20psi on dirt

I just put a set of these cheap chinese copied Rox risers on the Vee
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mark Ryder likes this.
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I think it's closer to 20 now, since the DL1K came out in the summer of 2001 :gerg (yeah, that's me, I'm that old now... :lol3)

Gustavo
    V-Tom likes this.
  11. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    28/28 on gravel.
    33/36 tormenting sports bikes.
    38/42 touring for better tire life.

Run the lower pressures for too long and you'll see odd wear patterns, particularly with Anakees. At the higher pressures grip isn't as good but that only matters cornering hard. There's no magic pressure that works all around but somewhere in there you should find something workable.
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm at 38/42 on both my '04 650 and my '18 1k 90% of the time. Sometimes I'll drop it if I think I'll be riding more "sporty" than normal. I venture "offroad" so seldom I don't bother bother changing anything.

My 650 likes to cup the hell out of front tires with anything less than 36psi. Don't know about the 1k yet, only 2500 miles on it so far.
    Mark Ryder likes this.
  13. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's really strange, my 650's also ate fronts but my 1000 has been a lot easier on them. Possibly because the 650 got pushed harder in the corners, possibly because it was never my intent to take the 1000 off road so it has pure road tires on it. (Road 5's).
    Mainrollman likes this.
  14. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Mine seams to cup worse running higher pressure
  15. AKStrom

AKStrom Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    *twist throttle* Ooh, look at the pretty clouds! *cough*

I'm rather interested to see how the 1050 is compared to the 650. Back when I still put much mileage on it, I got well over 10k on anything that wasn't outright sport tires on my 650. I suspect I'll not be terribly kind to them on the 1050, as I don't so much like *going* fast as getting up to operating speed with a certain alacrity.
    TreasureState likes this.
  16. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 650 as well. Regarding risers, 1" will be no problem. Some say 2" risers can be done with nothing other than rerouting cables, but when I tried that, the brake line was way too tight. Ended up installing the extended brake line in order to do the 2" risers. Apparently YMMV.
    Mark Ryder likes this.
  17. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1000's do tend to eat the rear tyre much more than the 650, the price of torque! The longest lasting rear I've had is the Anekee3 at 6k miles and the shortest the Road5 at 4k.
  18. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    I put hyspeed 30MM bar risers on last week. a little tight at full lock but nothing that concerned me, no reroute. Put them right were I need them, no more weight on my wrists.
  19. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    And chains, and sprockets. On my DL1K, chains/sprocket sets would go about 12K miles, so new chain and sprockets every other tire change. :fpalm

This current 650 OEM chain went 39K miles! I was starting to believe I'd never see the day I'd have to replace it. :lol3

Gustavo
  20. cb200t

cb200t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posted this in the wrong thread, but hopefully someone has an opinion?
    I'm considering a couple of V-Stroms. I just sold my beloved SV650S because I wanted something more touring oriented. One of the Stroms is a 2011 with ABS. The other is a 2007 without ABS. Is there any concern with buying the ABS bike? Any reliability issues, or known problems? Thanks.