VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. JackBurns40

JackBurns40 LDRider, dirt newbie

Oddometer:
    Speaking as someone who totaled a 2006 Wee Strom w/o ABS when an SUV pulled out right in front of me, the problem with my bike was that it didn't have ABS.
    TreasureState, dp064, snorkie and 3 others like this.
  2. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    buy the 2011
  3. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    V Strom windscreens for sale. First picture - first gen. 650 and 1000. On the left OEM cut short $35 CAD and on the right Suzuki Euro Sport (never available in North America) $70 CAD. Second and 3rd View attachment 2914531 View attachment 2914532 View attachment 2914533 picture 2012-16 650 only. 2 OEM windscreens $40 & 50 CAD. 3rd pictures MRA with short wind deflector $90 and with X-Cree deflector $120 CAD. Shipping extra. Located in Ontario. EF705D0C-5345-42E6-8DBC-74268AF5AD07.jpeg 85B22A8E-FD29-44C3-AA14-62C524CD9B04.jpeg A1B74A79-534D-4480-B05D-F34FCDB76698.jpeg . MRA with smaller wind deflector SOLD. And the one with X-creen sold as well.
    ag_streak likes this.
  4. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No issues at all with the Strom w/ ABS. 3 of the guys I ride w/ have ABS Stroms - 2013, 2018 and 2020. Only problems they've ever had were gravel/dirt downhills, where the ABS prevents you from locking up the rear wheel - sometimes you'll pick up too much speed on loose downhills. Two have installed ABS cut-off switches to fix the problem.
    dp064 likes this.
  5. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    @rickh123 any idea what shipping would be to 68822 in the US? Which screen does the best as far as you can tell? Bike is an 02 DL1000

I ask because I just brought this home and PO didn't like the way stock screens work so cut it off completely. I'm not certain I feel the same at present. Time will tell.

upload_2021-4-20_9-31-46.png
  6. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only one left for first gen. V Strom is the Euro Sport. I liked it. But I'm not sure it will work on your bike. I think they changed windscreen between 2002-3 and later models.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  7. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike was running good then lost power, died, shut off, no lights, no display, no warning. This is getting to be a PIA
  8. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Battery is toast?
  9. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stator fried? Do you have a V meter installed and, if yes, what were the readings before disaster struck and, if no, why on earth not?

Would help if you were to disclose what strom you have etc. .....
  10. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    New stator, (had original rewound) , new rectifier (both only a year old) No volt meter. 08 Wee. Same symptoms as a bad stator but curious about the battery. When electrical issues started last year I replaced the battery with a lithium one and then killed it several times before i figured out it was a stator issue and had it rewound. No issues since then. How do I test stator?
  11. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    for sale I have an Eastern Beaver fuse block that's set up to plug-and-play for older v-stroms. it's used, i pulled it off my bike prior to sale. one could use it for any moto, but seems a shame since it's got the pigtails already to tap into switched power for this harness
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/eastern-beaver-pc8-fuse-block-for-v-strom.1498322/

i also have a Shinko 805 rear tire that i was going to use on my DL, but I sold the bike. if anyone in NJ area is interested I'll let it go CHEAP, it's just sitting in my garage
  12. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go to Stromtrooper and search for stator testing. There are many threads about it. And do install a V meter. By now you should appreciate how important it is to monitor the charging system not to get stranded.
    Rusty Shakelford likes this.
  13. pidjones

pidjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, first - I am a GoldWing guy. Nothing against the adventure bikes - they are cool and all but I'm 68 and never was in shape. Anyway, a lady at church kinda hinted that she would like for me to look at their DL650 that broke on their son before he went out of the country. So, I looked at it a couple days ago. Knowing nothing about them, I first see about 3-4 inches of slack in the chain. Then pull the clutch and there is no resistance. took the cover off of the sprocket area and can't figure out how this would make the clutch work. Watched some YouTube videos, read some Stromtroopers articles and went back today. Now that I know what to look for, part of the clutch rod is laying in the skid pan and the other part in the engine. Tried a magnet attached to mild steel and I can get the part to move in and out, only preventing its removal by the seal. So, rod and seal on order. I have a hefty AC electric impact wrench, the 32 mm impact socket (from my RD400c build) and the other tools to pull this off. The rear sprocket looked fine and cursory look at the front looked Ok. I left the bike (they have it stored in their back yard, but with a bike cover over it) soaking in Gunk Original and Foamy cleaner. Bike is high miles (~90k I think) but other wise seems Ok with panniers and top case, crash bars, etc. If I am successful in this repair, what do you think they should ask for it? I have no interest as I have too many bikes to store properly now (wanna buy an '06 GL1800?)
  14. kmshfa

kmshfa n00b

Oddometer:
    I am stoked. Just picked up a new to me 2014 dl1000. Unfortunately insurance agent gets my call Monday. Also title transfer etc. hard not to ride it

Attached Files:

15. Norcal_Rider

Norcal_Rider IBA Alumnus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! I have found my 2014 to be an excellent motorcycle. Enjoy it!!
    Oxblood likes this.
  16. Oxblood

Oxblood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will love it. They are a great bike. I am back on a VStrom after 10 years on a couple of sport tourers. The V2 DL1000 is a lot of fun to ride.
  17. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might depend a bit on the year but at 90k miles, maybe $1500. Most Stroms on the market will have half or less of this mileage. Plenty of high milers out there, but rarely on the market.
    RedEX and wilddoktor like this.
  18. Saxster

Saxster n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, and for sure take the course, it's the best money you'll spend.

Be careful when lowering the bike, if you lower the back with links, the front should be lowered as well to maintain neutral steering geometry. Also, a lowered bike has less ground clearance and less cornering lean angle clearance, so be careful not to lower it too much. There are other options, depending on how much lower you need. Have you considered riding boots with 1" lifts instead of lowering the bike? Also, sometimes seats can be reprofiled to make them shorter, not sure how much lower you can get the seat on a Wee. In my opinion, lowering the bike from stock ride height should not be the first choice.

TreasureState likes this.
  19. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone! Long time no see... After my missus k5 got totalled last year, I finally found a replacement. A nice K7 with ABS. I will be able to retrieve it in 2 weeks once restrictions easen up.

I have a question regarding 'jack up' kits. I did the mod on the K5 and raised it by 25mm which was just right. Now I will order a couple of parts from a website but they only offer 20mm and 30mm kits.

How much can I increase the tail of this bike before having issues with the centerstand and/or messing with the bikes geometry?

Your input is appreciated! Will post up pics of the bike once I get it!
    TreasureState likes this.
  20. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, unlike lowering links, where you can drop the forks in the clamps to match the change in the rear, I don't see any easy way to raise the front from stock, to match the raising links, so I would recommend caution, and go with the 20mm, since you'll be steepening the front fork angle, and possibly reducing trail a tiny bit. That might be a good thing to quicken the steering a little, but I wouldn't go with too much change on raising the rear.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change! :beer

Edit: I was thinking you might be able to add longer spacers in the forks, but 3/4" - 1" is a lot more preload on the springs, and might make the ride harsh.
    TreasureState, RobG. and Loutre like this.