VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Saxster

Saxster n00b

Oddometer:
    Any time you raise one end and not the other, you will be messing with the geometry a little. Raising the rear decreases fork rake angle slightly, leading to faster turn in and a potential for less stability. Not sure 1" would be huge, but I have not done it on one of these. I know I decided not to raise my Wee-strom for that reason. Someone else may have specific personal experience with these bikes...

TreasureState and Loutre like this.
  2. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming !
    ag_streak likes this.
  3. yrunvs

yrunvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Raised mine 1 1/8 inch and love it. If you have a center stand you may need a 1/4 inch thick strip of plywood under the stand to get the back wheel off the ground.
    Loutre, Rusty Shakelford and t-dub like this.
  4. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto on my DL1000K5 with the ride height adjustment on my Penske rear shock. I may have even been 1.25” and loved the quick turning Nd was still plenty stabile at speed. On my 2020 1050XT, the stock geometry seems plenty quick enough on turn-ins. Once I have the Penske configured for the new bike I may play around with raising the rear to test.
    yrunvs and Loutre like this.
  5. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
  6. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same, Raised my 08 but can't remember how much, it's been a while but I love it and it handles great.
    yrunvs and Loutre like this.
  7. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you contact Adventuretech, they can make you links for whatever raise you want. Rich is a really nice guy.
    manshoon, RedEX and Loutre like this.
  8. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Perfect thank you guys. I guess I'll go the safe route and take the 20mm ones.

Does anyone know if the gold 4 piston Nissin calipers from the fireblade have 63mm or 65mm between both mounting holes? I've been trying to find the numbers online for the better part of a week now, but impossible to know which one it is.

[​IMG]

The reason I'm asking is because I plan on going the caliper mod, but the website I'm ordering the adapters from (I'm in France, so I won't buy it from the SV Racing website) is asking if I need adapters for the 63mm or 65mm calipers. I kinda wanter to order it all before the bike arrives and also order them at the same time as I order to calipers to avoid pushing this mod further down in time as I really didn't like the OEM stopping power of the K5.

I know that I the K7 ABS has a different MC and I will likely have to change it as well to make sure that the mod is working properly but thought about asking anyway if you knew about the calipers.
  9. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is all info I accumulated way back when I did the upgrade for my 2004 WEE. No guarantees that this is all correct! Note that the calipers do have different piston sizes, so be sure what you buy and what MC is appropriate since the OEM MC sizes for the V-strom also changed.

There are two choices of 4 Piston Calipers to use;

The Nissin 4 Piston Calipers from the Honda CBR600 F4 - F4i All Model Years 1999 to 2006, Honda CBR 929 and 954 Model Years 2000 - 2003 are the same Nissin Calipers as the 1999 -2006 CBR 600 F4 - F4i Calipers,

2003-2004 CBR600RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm) caliper pistons 32mm/30mm
    2000-2001 CBR929RR mc 19mm caliper pistons 34mm/30mm
    2002-2003 CBR954RR mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm) caliper pistons 32mm/30mm
    2000-2001 RC51 mc 19mm caliper pistons 34mm/32mm
    2002-present RC51 mc 11/16” (17.4625 mm) caliper pistons 32mm/30mm
    1999-Present CBR600F4(i) mc 5/8” (15.87mm) caliper pistons 34mm/32mm

The Tokico 4 Piston Calipers from the GSXR 600 2001 - 2003, GSXR 750 2000 - 2003 and All Model Years of the SV1000, these models are all the same calipers,
    The Stock SV1000 have caliper pistons 30/34 mm but a 15.9 mm (5/8”) mc piston
    TreasureState, dsilver1007 and Loutre like this.
  10. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I loved teh CB600RR calipers and plan on buying the same again. For the MC I will just buy a used k4/5 unit as it had a bigger diameter than the K7 that I'll have and it worked very well on the K5 unit I had. I guess ABS will be just the cherry on top. Altough I had steel braided lines as well on the K5.

Worst case if I cannot find any info regarding the 63 or 65mm mounting holes I might just have to buy them and measure them once I have them here.
  11. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't offer any real help, but I always try to have parts on hand before ordering things to fit parts. Ordering stuff to fit other stuff you can't actually see or measure can get dicey.
    Loutre likes this.
  12. pidjones

pidjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finished putting a new clutch push rod and seal in. Reassembled it and was able to put it in neutral for them. Battery is too low (has been setting since August) to crank it, but it should be pretty close in adjustment. Oh, and also drained the remaining ~ 2/3rd quart of oil and filled with new. Told them that if they still want to sell it to get the battery charged up and start it, then clean, clean, clean. The work went surprisingly easy. Front sprocket nut came loose easy with my Bauer electric torque wrench (1050 ft lbs breakaway torque - it's a beast!).
    lwood10, RedEX and wilddoktor like this.
  13. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Ha, I just bought the exact same impact wrench! When it was time to change the chain and sprockets on the V-Strom, I lucked out and was able to do it by hand with a breaker bar.

This time though, I was trying to go up a tooth on the Versys' front sprocket. That thing would not budge, spent all kinds of time screwing with it. Bought that impact wrench and had the sprocket off in exactly three seconds!
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well my 2012 650 arrived home after spending 14 months in a storage locker in Arizona. I had a freight company deliver it across the Canadian border. Tires at 10lbs and the battery at 9.5 volts and very dirty.
    Put my ctek charger on over night and got the battery up to 12.6 . When I turned the key the fuel pump pressurized but the sound was not as long as I remember. Cranked about 5 or 6 times and no start so I had an auto battery on the bench so used that and when I turned the key the pump whirled and made sounds like I remembered! started immediately, 14 month old gas with sea foam.
    I think the fuel pump just needed a jolt to get going as now the bike battery is working just fine and staying at 12.5 volts.
    I forgot how much I loved this bike for the last 107,000 km
    RedEX, Tmaximusv, EZ-D and 4 others like this.
  15. Milosh

Milosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would check the ignition switch.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the 14 month old gas was not so great. I put in 10 liters of premium on top of the old gas and it is now running great . I did 150km 2 days ago as a test run
    SAM_2931.JPG
    eakins, dp064, ag_streak and 7 others like this.
  17. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    So an update on my leaky fork seal
    It seems to have stopped leaking after a good through cleaning
    Well it was the fifth attempt at cleaning and I went the extra mile
    It's been about 500 miles and all is well so far
    RedEX, lwood10 and TreasureState like this.
  18. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you put some gaiters on to prevent future problems? Search Stromtrooper there are several threads about it. A simple way is to use neoprene gaiters held together with hook tape. (https://nojgear.com/products/fork-guard). You can hold them in place by clamping a couple of hook pieces under the forkbrace and stick them onto the neoprene.
    TreasureState likes this.
  19. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea
    I have them for awhile now
    When I rebuilt the forks last year and installed the new springs and ddc's they were sitting on the bench looking at me when I was cleaning up
    So next rebuild they will go on or so i say
    Edit: just saw these were hook n loop
  20. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried those and it didn't work out as good as I would have hoped, they kept getting bunched up on one side. I found some velcro at the dollar store and slipped it under the fork brace to keep them in place. If you look up Greywolf, he has a real good write-up using gators. I'm real happy with the outcome......

Best regards,
    RedEX likes this.