VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. pidjones

pidjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a simple shield over the first 3" or so of tube above the seal will do a dramatic amount of protection from rocks and bugs. Doesn't have to surround the tube, just shield it from direct hits that cause rock dings or bug splats.
    Cal likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So what are the cliff notes on all of these when buying the Nissin calipers vs which Vstrom you have?

Damn, I didn't not realize the difference and bought real clean looking 2002 CBR 600 F4i calipers. Am I ok to mod with these?

I'm thinking the 5/8" master cylinder bore size on my 650 is the same size as the CBR that my calipers came from? All the rest of those Nissins are listed as coming from bikes that have the larger 11/16" size bore mc.

I know a bigger bore/more fluid being pushed is better but I think I'm atleasted matched ok? Or does the 4 pot caliper always need more fluid being pushed anyway and I will have more brake lever travel?

Edit: I think my MC has a smaller bore than 5/8"?

Thanks
  3. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brakes do kinda suck on my 08 Wee. I've upgraded everything else on the bike, why not the brakes also? How much involved and whats the cost...
  4. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started with a set of GSXR 750 Tokico calipers from flea bay, some HH pads for same and rebuild kits from Partzilla. Also adapters from SVRacing. Stock lines fit (barely) buy adding a scrap metal spacer to the fork mounting tabs. I have since replaced them with braided SS lines.

The result was instant two-finger braking with the stock master cylinder. Highly recommended.
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Beware that you'll need to be cautious regarding how you brake in dirt/gravel if you upgrade the brakes.
    Rusty Shakelford likes this.
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    20210515_200917.jpg
    And here it is my new to me k7 :) thrilled to start farkling it to the death

Attached Files:

7. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice Loutre!!
    Looks like a custom seat on your strom?
    Loutre likes this.
  8. jasonlion54

jasonlion54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm planning on doing the V-Strom - DR650 fork leg swap (DR uppers and DL lowers to increase ride height and fork travel).

Does anyone know which years of DR forks are compatible for this swap? I can get 1993 vintage all day on Ebay for cheap, but 1996 and up seems scarce and expensive. And I plan to put Racetech emulators in these frankenforks. I assume that I would need the DR emulators since I'll be using the DR damping rod?

Also, is there a definitive write up on this project? If not, maybe I should document the process and make it easier for everyone else.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

TreasureState likes this.
  9. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your poor radiator!

You're doing this swap on a 1000, or a 650?
  10. jasonlion54

jasonlion54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha! If you feel bad for the radiator, you should see the skidplate.

I'm doing this to a 2005 Wee. I plan on using a DL1000 rear shock with shorter linkage to match the ride height on the rear.
  11. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Logo says Sellerie Confort. French upholsterer. Comfy but seems like a lowered version. That Jack up kit will at least give the impression of standard hight and additional ground clearance.
  12. Loutre

Oddometer:
    First mods. Proper crash bars, side stand enlarger, fork brace, led lights
    20210516_193325.jpg 20210516_102201.jpg 20210516_100926.jpg
  13. OldGypsy

OldGypsy FoolForDirt

Oddometer:
    Patagonia, AZ - great area for Dual Sports
  14. Loutre

Oddometer:
    OldGypsy likes this.
  15. Loutre

Oddometer:
    Hey stupid question gang. Are all 4 spark plugs the same on the dual spark 650 vstroms (k7)? Or are they 2 and 2 ? I find two references on the net, and it seems like it depends on temperature, but I wanted to check if I can just order 4 new plugs and call it a day? Cheers!
  16. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run Nissin calipers from an F4i on my 2007 DL650. I have used them with both a 5/8 and 14mm master cylinder. Honestly, I did not notice a huge difference. I am currently using the 14mm and the "pedal" feel is great. I am 100% happy with the setup! It did take a while to get everything bled properly but once I did, the upgrade in overall braking ability is amazing!
    TreasureState and eakins like this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Did you do a braided line update too or just quickly swap the calipers at the banjo bolt?

I'm looking at doing a fast caliper only swap and then getting a MitiVac on those bleed nipples asap to pull out any air bubbles that might have gotten in and try to rise upwards.

Are the crush washers 10 or 12mm on the banjo bolts.
  18. Buckeye Rich

Buckeye Rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Initially I used the stock lines and they will work but they were a tad tight. I did drain all of the fluid out. Eventually, I swapped over to braided lines.

I can measure the crush washers when I get home but if I remember correctly, they were the same size as the stock Suzuki ones.

LexLeroy likes this.
  19. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    CR8EIX (iridium) plugs last a long time. CR8 is the correct heat range for all 4 (same heat range for all).
    TreasureState and Loutre like this.
  20. cakeboy

cakeboy pissed off

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the dl1050 radiator is the same as the dl1000 ..???