VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look at the part numbers for the 2 years. If they are different then the part is different.
  2. nestastubbs

nestastubbs Green Mountain Toys Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering if any VSTROM owners in Vermont could recc. some offroad oriented tires for my 2011 DL650.

I'm running Anakee 3s, which are very road oriented, but now that I have the RT, I figure I'll move the DL650 over towards the offroad side.

Wanting to do the NEBDR and the usual array of C4 roads here in VT.
    TreasureState and dp064 like this.
  3. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Mitas e07 rear coupled with the Shinko 804 up front on my '12 650 and have been very happy. In my opinion these check most boxes for the varied riding I do. Fine on the slab which I can't avoid, handles fine in the wet, suited me well on the few runs on the Puppy and Hampster and some NW CT routes. Prices are reasonable as is the mileage. There's been some new offerings since that I may try but part of me says leave well enough alone.

Oh, I would suggest raising the front fender if you go with any sort of aggressive thread. Most will clear but any mud accumulation may give you issues.
    TreasureState, RedEX and nestastubbs like this.
  4. Balootraveler

Balootraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick question, why doesn't Suzuki use a clip style master link on the chain? Reading the chain replacement guide it sound like to use a clip style master link will lead to imeadate and certain death. I still carry one in the emergency kit, just wondering.
  5. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Ha, ditto! Also on a 2012, my go-to rear tire has been the Mitas E-07, coupled with a TKC-80 front. Shinko 804 looks very similar and is a lot cheaper! TKC-80 has amazing street grip for a knobby, but is pretty soft and doesn't last long. Good luck!
    TreasureState and nestastubbs like this.
  6. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I don't know, does anyone? Seems like that's up to the owner, when it comes time to replace.
    Loutre likes this.
  7. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rivet style master links are much more secure. You could probably find a replacement chain with a clip style master link, but why risk it?
  8. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't the original chain that comes with the bikes from factory endless ie with no master link? That would make sense as they wouldn't have to waste time assembling and much less risk of bad assembly.

I know the factory replacement kits have a river type master link.

..Tom
    dovetailredux likes this.
  9. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a decent chain tool and replacement is easy to do. My favorite, after trying some others, is the DID KM500R.

[​IMG]
    blaustrom and gwc27526 like this.
  10. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What good is the clip master link on the road? How is the riveted chain going to fail that it could be fixed with that link?

Search for chain failures and if you see the damage caused by a broken chain than using a rivet link (or the EK chain screw master link) becomes the sensible way to go.
    RedEX likes this.
  11. Balootraveler

Balootraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My chain is riveted, I have always had an extra master link in my kit, age showing;). Thanks for the replies.
  12. motomem

motomem Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2011 DL650A has a TN title showing 11,000 miles. It currently has 9,780 miles. How big a problem would this be if you was buying it? How can I fix this? The discrepancy is my fault. I bought the bike last year. The mileage was in the range of 9,600 miles. The owner just signed the title and handed it to me. When I went to DMV I signed the title and gave it to them. The lady at the window said I needed the mileage. Ooops! Rather than going home and getting mileage I told her it was 11,000 miles. She started to chew my ass but stopped mid-sentence, frowned and wrote 11,000 miles. I figured no big deal because in no time I would put over 1220 miles on the bike. Problem solved.
    More back story -
    In 2012 I was in a near fatal crash. I retired from motorcycling. In 2020 I was feeling down and got to thinking I was ready to return to motorcycling. Almost immediately after buying the bike, deep down I knew made a mistake. Kept telling myself I would get better. I just turned 66, take several medications and have been diagnosed with some sort of disorder that messes with my balance. Last weekend I dropped the bike crossing the curb from my yard to the street. Bike wasn't hurt but I skinned my knee up pretty good. It was a accident that should not have happened. That Sunday I fell getting into a cabinet to get a friggin pan. That same day I fell over a ladder and ended up with an ice pack and pain in the same leg. I decided I better get rid of the vstrom. So now I have the title/mileage problem. If it is a problem? If I was buying it I would put 11,500 on the title, get my tag and go on about my business. However, I don't know if there are many people that think as I do. Whatever the solution is I am going to have to get the bike and equipment I have bought away from here. I feel sick having it and not able to use it.
    I appreciate any suggestions you have about this.
    TreasureState and ag_streak like this.
  13. m.taylor

m.taylor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I was buying your bike and questioned that, your explanation would be more than enough to make it a non issue in my mind. That said, that’s pretty low mileage for a bike that old either way and I know I wouldn’t care as a buyer.

I know I guessed when I registered my old 600.
  14. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your health troubles... I don't think I would have too much of an issue with it - it's not like there is a discrepancy of 50,000 miles. Good luck with it...
    ag_streak, dp064 and Tmaximusv like this.
  15. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    Been riding around western NC with my gal for about a month. Got rid of my big side baskets and put some Tusk panniers on cause the baskets were scraping on the sharper turns here vs wisconsin...

Between the calcsi winglets, GIVI windshield and a clip on adapter I am happy with wind management, which was last years challenge.

This year I think it is about foot pegs and a new seat. I have the stock with sit n fly cover. It is okay for 100 miles, but too soft by mile 150 and not quite the right shape. Would like to be able to do longer distances as the GF is getting more used to riding pilllion.

Also doing some gravel has me convinced I need wider foot pegs for standing up. Thinking about the SW Motech offroaders.

The girlfriend wouldn't mind some half or quarter floor boards... Anyone gotten those working? I have seen some old threads on strom troopers but the pictures/links don't work anymore. Anyone use the SW Motech for the rear pegs as well?
  16. macuaig

macuaig Back in the Saddle

Oddometer:
    Well I tried a km/miles conversion, but that wasn’t it. Good luck!
  17. pidjones

pidjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you gone to the court house and explained the problem to them or checked the state web sites? At least in Anderson County, they will do anything they can to help you out with problems If you have proof of actual mileage (maybe a repair order with correct mileage n it) that might help.
  18. 88 Magnum

88 Magnum Made it special for me

Oddometer:
    I was hoping if someone here could tell me how or where Suzuki North America parts warehouse is.
    I have a B.O part from RMATV and they just added another month to the delivery date. I am unable to get this part used from my resources (SV1000 Intake Boots TB to Head)
    Thanks
  19. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sidecar time? Lotsa' folks have had good luck with the DL650 as a sidecar tug. At almost 73 that's probably going to be the fate of my 2008 DL1000.
  20. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Lex, there's a WORLD of difference between the 1000 and the 650 as a sidecar tug! I had both. The 650 was pretty great, but the 1000 is a TRUCK. Both of mine had stock steering geometry and regular motorcycle tires. The steering effort, which is bad on any sidecar rig, was ridiculously heavy on the 1000. There are steering fixes available, that decrease the trail.
    LexLeroy likes this.