VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the sad truths about sidecars is that the only thing cheap about them is their owners.

It takes significant effort and money to turn a sweet handling motorcycle into an evil handling three-wheeled truck, but yet we still do it.
    :lol3
    Tmaximusv, RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  2. m.taylor

m.taylor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really want one of those 2wd Ural sidecar rigs.
  3. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Where the warehouse is really doesn't matter.....as B/O parts taking as long as yours are not in the US. Coming from overseas. Either a warehouse there or the manufacturer. Dealers can do a part lookup search to see if any other dealers have one in stock. But that isn't something RMATV and the "big" suppliers are going to do on their own. Not making enough profit to spend the time!
    Most know I do the WERKS modified clutch baskets for SV's and DL's. DL clutch baskets are not a problem as I use the later generation to modify for new builds. BUT...there is no "new" generation of SV 1000 clutch baskets. So I have to buy the original part number baskets. Which are getting hit and miss to get. I have 2 or 3 on backorder now. SV's have been out of production so long Suzuki will continue to drop part numbers that they supply......
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Man, sorry to hear that it's not working out. I seem to remember you were pretty excited about getting a bike again.

It will depend on the buyer. No doubt, some will not be able to get over the discrepancy, even after hearing your story. Someone else will buy it as is, walk into the DMV and say it still has 11,000 miles now and get a deal on a barely broken-in V-Strom... :ricky

Gustavo
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just finished installing an external fuel filter on my k7. Found it more difficult than on the k5 but at least now I have peace of mind for maintenance.
    ROYAL COACHMAN and LexLeroy like this.
  6. cobalt60

cobalt60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up an 03 DL1000 with 100, 000k on the clock. Bought it as a temporary ride while my Buell Ulysses is in intensive care for a few months.. I think I may be keeping her. We've named her Ellie...lol

vstrom.jpg
  7. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    ]Just picked up an 03 DL1000 with 100, 000k on the clock. Bought it as a temporary ride while my Buell Ulysses is in intensive care for a few months.. I think I may be keeping her. We've named her Ellie...lol

have fun ridin Ellie=
    virgins are overated....
    RedEX likes this.
  8. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018 DL1000xt and have really enjoyed it. Just like my camera, a feat of engineering, technology and manufacturing that well exceeds my skill level. I've been riding about 15 years, but have very little off-road experience, so it can really feel like a handful at times. I'm finally getting the suspension sorted out for my weight which should really help. I also just bought a compact air compressor so hopefully I can experiment with airing down the tires when I decide to steer off the pavement. Northern Michigan is very sandy so low spots are more likely loose sand traps than mud pits. (still learning to deal with either)

(Old pic from when I first got it)

DSC_0630.JPG
  9. 6gun

6gun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction. I've had a new Suzuki center-stand on the shelf since I purchased my 2014 V-strom brand new leftover in 2016. Finally decided I needed to install it and made the tragic discovery that I am missing the LH bracket(gear shift side) Before I fire up the fabricator 1000(Cutoff wheel) to make a new one do any of you brilliant minds know if I would able to purchase one by itself?
  10. Millwright77

Millwright77 I ♥ Milkcrates♥

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of upgrading to a Vstrom. Anyone come from a dr650? Anything I should consider?
  11. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    The Northern Michigan sand will be great practice for those unpaved stretches through the Sierra Gorda when we eventually get you there!
    Bighammer49686 likes this.
  12. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some would say there's a lot of overlap between the two, but I would say the DR is a heavyweight dual sport, and the V-strom is a lightweight adventure bike.

If you're riding the DR off road, you're probably not into gnarley singletrack, so a well-ridden V-strom should be able to go most of the places the DR can go.

If you like the DR for it's relaxed, comfortable highway ride, you'll love the V-strom and feel instantly at home on it. :beer
    TreasureState and RedEX like this.
  13. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    Am I missing something here? DR 650 and KLR 650 are equally worthless on the highway at speed! While not a lightweight bike, a DR can be manhandled very well in single track situations. The DL 650 or 1000 not so much! The DR is going to be around 375 lbs ( don't need no stinkin' crash bars...) where a typical DL 650 will pass 500 lbs with equipment most have installed. That 125 lbs and BIG difference in suspension separate the bikes off pavement.

That said, if the OP can give up some rougher off pavement adventures, the DL 650 or 1000 can be one of the best all around bikes you can own.
  14. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    That torquey lump of a 650 single is perfectly relaxed and happy to chug along at 75 mph all day...

Any bike can be manhandled on difficult terrain by a good rider. A guy in our dual-sport club rides his Vstrom on single track all the time, and I've seen guys on GS1200s riding stuff I couldn't do on a dual-sport. The stock suspension on the DR is terrible, but it does respond well to simple upgrades.
    RedEX likes this.
  15. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    LOL, yea I think the DR650 may actually have a higher top speed than my (current) Versys-X 300! Had a DR650 for about a year and a half. Despite being a 5-speed, it was no slouch on the highway. Picked the DR over the KLR, which is heavier and less capable (IMO), for off-road.
    But, yes I did find a lot of overlap between the V-Strom and DR650. Especially if you mostly just do gravel roads, having better tires on the V-Strom will help to level the playing field. I'd say one notable comparison between the two is that, with the DR you ride ON the bike, with the DL you feel more IN the bike, if that makes any sense.
    In the end I decided that there was enough overlap, that I didn't need to keep the DR650. If I lived out West instead of Michigan, I might've thought differently.
    FWIW, the Versys-X 300 I recently picked up seems to split the difference pretty well between the DR and DL, although in THAT case, a person needs to get used to running high rev's. Good luck with your decision!
    ag_streak likes this.
  16. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    that moment when you reassemble your forks and find 1 mystery bolt in the tool box you have no idea where it goes!
    Was me yesterday. I looked high and low and still have no idea where this one hex bolt goes.
    im going to have to look at fork schematics to see if i see where this bolt goes.
    Theres a good 50% that bolt came from some other project so who knows
    TreasureState and ag_streak like this.
  17. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    so i looked at all the schematics for the front fork all the way down to wheel and brakes. this bolt must NOT be a missing bolt for the wee.
  18. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a PIC? What size allen does it take? On the Vee there's only one allen, on the very bottom that goes up into the fork and holds the cartridge. Not sure about the wee.
  19. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also at the cusp of upgrading from my beloved DR650. I'm leaning towards keeping my DR650, which already has over 30k miles (and running strong) because I've been going on a lot of adventures with it. I bought it new in 2017.

I kicked around the idea of getting the KTM 390 ADV. But only if I sold my DR650. Way too much overlap in my opinion.

So now I'm down to either the VStrom 650 or the Tenere 700. I'm on a razor thin margin of going either way. I like the VStrom's pavement capability, which I believe is superior to the T700. It has the traction control for inclement weather riding. It has slightly more power. It has tubeless spoked wheels. It sits lower to the ground so handling on pavement is better. For my intended use, as a compliment to my DR650, I feel the VStrom 650 XT is better than the T700 in that it has LESS overlap. If I went with the Tenere 700, the overlap is much smaller to my DR650 and I would just end up not riding the DR650, which would lead to me just selling it.

Any thoughts and suggestions?
    TreasureState, RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  20. Millwright77

Millwright77 I ♥ Milkcrates♥

Oddometer:

Lol the exact thing I was considering. I was thinking about the T7 the other day after I posted this. I honestly thing I should just get a v strom and a drz400.

my dr650 is just too heavy to feel comfortable off-road but not comfortable enough on the highway.