VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me so far, the DL1000/WR250R combo is my winner.

Maybe a T7 could be a unicorn, I would need to test ride one with a passenger because that is a big deal for me. It will be a few years until T7s are available in the used market in my price range, so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. At the moment I'm pushing my skills and I drop my bike offroad enough that lifting anything heavier than the WR isn't interesting at all.
  2. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not hard core off road, and stick to gravel forest roads and nothing more. And I'm way too heavily invested on my DR650. I think the frame, some body parts, suspension, and the inside of the engine are stock. The rest are aftermarket. Fits me too well so I feel comfortable on it. But I agree I often wish for more highway performance...basically every time I hit a big highway full of cars and trucks I wish for more highway performance. As soon as I'm on a back country road I'm happy as a clam on my DR650. It has the long range and comfortable ergos, and that smooth ride that I like. But I pause a bit if I want to ride to Death Valley on it (way, WAY too much highway--250 miles before the fun begins). Done it. It was ok. But those long stints on the desert interstates with high winds wasn't pleasant.
    ROYAL COACHMAN likes this.
  3. vanislejay

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the DL fits your bill pretty well then. With some suspension upgrades (maybe not necessary on the newer gen bikes?) and decent tires it will handle gravel forest roads very well.
  4. OCLandspeeder

Oddometer:
    Yeah those are my thoughts as well.

If I were going to do A LOT more off road for a day, I'd just take my DR650. That's the plan in my head. If it weren't for the Tenere 700 I'd have the VStrom 650 right now. I'm in Analysis-paralysis mode.
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    The used VStroms are cheap compared to the T700 but the ground clearance isn't there, yet it's very comfortable on the highway for long range riding. Plan on adding about $700 in springs and valving for your weight to make it more comfortable and to be set up properly for responsiveness. That being said, you'll have to spend that on ANY bike you buy so it's set up for your weight and riding style. I have a 2004 that I'm considering selling simply because I'd prefer more ground clearance, but otherwise I like it far more than I had expected.
  6. XSTROM

XSTROM Earnest Lambert Watkins

Oddometer:
    Good day all. I have an 05 Strom 1000. Any trick to reinstalling the left side crank case cover or do I just keep taking my lumps trying to get things lined up?
    v/r
    JR
  7. RLTrail

RLTrail Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a 800GS (somewhat comparable to the T7, I guess) and now currently have the Vstrom650 & DR650 combo. Out of the three, I enjoy the Vee the most. It's more comfortable than the DR and because of the lower seat height, feels less cumbersome than the GS. It's suprisingly capable, has a great engine, and is just easy to ride. I have Shinko 805/804's on it and stock suspension and I can get through just about any sandy washes the GS could do. Perhaps even easier, again because of the lower seat height. With the GS I was always worried about putting it on it's side because it was such a bear to get upright. I've read that the T7 could be even more top heavy than the GS which would give me pause if I were considering another high travel ADV bike. A downside to the Vee would be the shorter ground clearance. This leads to me taking a more relaxed pace on some roads/trails, where I may be going a little faster on the DR.

For me and what I ask the Vee/DR to do, the two bikes crossover quite a bit. The DR maybe being able to access 10% more than the Vstrom on a typical ride.

I also looked hard at the T7 and even had my name on a waitlist. I'm glad I went with the Vstrom and am now considering selling the DR and maybe just adding a dedicated dirt bike or plated dirt bike.
  8. OCLandspeeder

Oddometer:
    There's some value in being forced to go slower off pavement.

I have to admit, I feel more brazen on the DR when off pavement because the suspension has a lot more to give and feels like a ton of ground clearance. I'm almost always a gear higher than my friend with a lower, alloy wheeled Tiger when we're off pavement because he doesn't want to drop the bike, bend a wheel, or run aground. A few times I slid the bike and recovered but I shudder to think if I didn't recover....and perhaps I should slow down.
  9. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have a fully modded DR650 with pumper carb and full exhaust. its a blast off road. On road the Wee is more fun.
    my buddy has a T700 rides it much like the DR650 he used to have but he still talks about missing his dr650.
    The T7 are hard to find right now and dr parts are pretty easy to find. Both great bikes. one is made for longer distances and other is a big dirt bike
    TreasureState likes this.
  10. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every time I've ever sold a bike that I had perfectly tailored to myself, I regretted it. Just my $02. That's why I'll be hanging onto my '04 DL650, even though I have an '18 1k. For the money I could get selling the 650, it's just not worth it.
    RedEX likes this.
  11. 6gun

6gun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm of the mind that too much overlap is a waste. I'm currently looking to add a "dirtbike" to my '14 DL1000. It's kinda between DR650, XL650, and DRZ400? Although the WR250 is tempting........
  12. keyzard

keyzard Falls over a lot....

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I ended up with.....very happy with my current selection.
    ag_streak likes this.
  13. vanislejay

Oddometer:
    I personally think that the WR250R is as good all around as the bigger dual sports, and it's better offroad. My WR250R can cruise two up at 80mph (GPS), it's pretty much tapped out, but it can do it.
  14. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    You forgot to add "down a very steep hill"! :imaposer
    ROYAL COACHMAN likes this.
  15. OCLandspeeder

Oddometer:
    My issue on the highway with the DR650, it's personal issue mind you, is it can do 85-90 on the highway, but the engine is revving near peak power (not redline). It feels very busy above 82 mph. It's not tapped out at 85 but it's not happy there either. And if there's a strong headwind, like the kind I frequently encounter out here in the west, she's WOT at 85 mph. She just doesn't have the gear spread to make 1st and 2nd usable off road AND have a comfortable highway gear for 80-90 mph cruising. You can have one, not both.
    vanislejay likes this.
  16. OCLandspeeder

Oddometer:
    So I've been looking around and there's a number of new BASE MODEL VStrom 650's with really attractive prices. The base model has the multi-spoke alloy wheelset, no lower cowl or engine guards, no hand guards.

I'm thinking I don't really need spoked wheels because I rarely ride anything more gnarly than an easy-moderate trail. Mostly forest service roads. 85-90% pavement. However, I would have to add skid plates and crash bars, and head guards. I would still save a ton of money after I add all these over a VStrom 650 XT. Or so I think.

Any concerns about the VStrom 650 with alloy wheels? Should I forget about the base model and just go full XT?
  17. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm the odd ball here, I cant believe you guys think these heavy v stroms are fun off road:dunno
    I think my old 650 wee and my current 1000xt are pigs.................... but they are fun
    My dr weighs 80 to 100 lbs less than a 650 feels like a feather in comparison
    RedEX and allonsye like this.
  18. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind those body add-ons are mostly plastic and not the strongest around. XT or not I'd think about a sturdy skid plate anyway. You'll probably come out ahead money-wise adding all that stuff yourself along with having better quality of your own choosing. The one downside is having to do the shopping and installing.
    RedEX, OCLandspeeder and Baroquenride like this.
  19. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
  20. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I know this is the V-Strom thread, but for what you have described I'd also recommend looking at the Honda NC750X (or NC700X if costs prohibit). Same issues regarding suspension (springs for your weight) and tires (for where you want to go) but it is really happy on highways and backroads. And the frunk is universally praised (as is the double-clutch transmission (which also has ABS) if you want to go that way).