VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No personal experience with them but Seat Concepts seem to get good reviews for what they are.

As for the other suggestions check out Adventuretech.
    Roadracer_Al likes this.
  2. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Terry's custom up and back and a seat concepts tall
    The Terry seat is more comfortable but if it gets wet, it's weeks a dry out
    I find myself using and sc seat more just because of that fact and my bike lives outside on trips I put the terry on

Put some adventure tech foot peg lowering brackets on and some risers , 2" is the max you can go with longer brake lines and such
    You will have to get creative with your cable routing
    Add some grip puppies to your grips as well as some heated grips......
  3. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have a DL 650 and this is what I did. I put on the highest risers I could without replacing cables. I lowered the foot pegs - AdventureTech. I use an Alaskan sheepskin over the stock seat. Without these upgrades I would have likely sold mine because it was just to uncomfortable.

Best regards,
    TreasureState likes this.
  4. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the peg lowering/shifter relocation kit from Adventuretech. Seems to be just the thing for more legroom and not having to constantly avoid the brake with size 15 boot.

Shad makes or made a seat that reviewed quite well for the 2014 but it seems to have vanished. Not sure what that's about. Maybe I just can't read.

I see that some of the suggested bars are 1 1/8 rather than 7/8. There must not be much need for adapters or other fitment because I don't see anyone mentioning have to do anything special.
  5. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    I don't mind replacing cables if it turns out to be necessary. Whatever it takes to stop the wrist pain.
  6. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your seating position of the stock seat is ok then try a Sit&Fly cover before shelling out hundreds. I can do 10h days with my stock seat and that cover (V2, has a relative flat seat).

Wrist pain: Has the handlebar too much pullback for your liking. Mine did and it needed to go. Plus added about 2" rise. Hoses routed behind the upper triple tree.

AND come and join us for NEVA, you can scout out all kind of mods and farkles others have done.
    TreasureState and jwumpus like this.
  7. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    That looks like a good time. Making arrangements.
  8. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Sargent seat on mine and I've also had the Suzuki tall and the Shad. I've not found one I like to be honest, Sargent is the best. I still get bad tailbone pain over 150 miles even with it. I think its because the footrests are to far forward and I've a skinny ass! I hurt on the stock seat before the 100 mile mark and the tall Suzuki seat was not any different, the Shad was better, softer feel and I should have stuck with it longer but everyone said Sargent are the best! I now use an Airhawk on top of my 400 pound seat! Lol
  9. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Satisfied Seat Concepts customer. IMHO, they're a tremendous value for money. And durable. I've had mine on for 30k miles at least.

RE: Wrist pain, the best piece of advice I've heard for minimizing wrist pain is to select a handlebar that mimics the natural position of your wrists. To get a good visualization of what that should look like, get some sticks about 18" long, hold them in each hand, close your eyes, and hold your arms half-way out, consciously relaxing them into their natural position. Open your eyes and look at the relationship of the sticks -- that's what your handlebars should look like.
    zap2504 and jwumpus like this.
  10. JonB85

JonB85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a set of 1" risers for sale on the Stromtrooper forum if you're interested. I don't know if they'll be tall enough for what you want though.

A free option is to roll the bar forward or backward to adjust the angle of the grips as well as rotating the levers either up or down to change the angle of your wrist when you're working them.
    dovetailredux likes this.
  11. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    1" might be sufficient. Handlebars are a bit more complicated than I had initially thought.
  12. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Hello
    I’m a prospective first time strom owner and wanted to get the collective opinion on a 2011 dL 650 abs 13k miles as a possible new bike
    This one seems very clean but will likely need new tires and full service.
    Have seen the Bennett’s guide to buying a used DL but want to hear from the adv riders
    It seems like there is no shortage of aftermarket accessories although I really don’t need much.

I have a 32 inch inseam and plan to lower the pegs and get the tall seat if needed and I think that will alleviate any concerns as I have big ass feet as well.
    image.jpg
    ag_streak and BlueRidgeKat like this.
  13. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't think of anything you need to know or check specific to this bike! Just the usual signs of damage or neglect. How many miles on her? Looks clean in the photo!
  14. JonB85

JonB85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty clean. What's the asking price?
  15. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Just try riding it before you go lowering the pegs. I also have a 32" inseam, and only on the longest rides do I add an Airhawk for added seat height.
  16. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    $4750 asking price
    Thanks for the input here
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    IIRC the 2014 DL1K still has the same stupid handlebar Suzuki puts (or used to) on all V-Stroms. As people mentioned above, it has too much sweep, leading to an un-natural angle for most wrists. That's the first thing to go on my V-Stroms.

There are different ways to skin that cat.

These are 1-1/8 bars with ROX 1.5" risers/adapters:
    [​IMG]

The end result was a a little taller (and wider) than the OEM bars, so I routed the cables on the inside of the t-clamp.

On my current 650, I have a taller riser and bar, but the bar is normal width, not extra wide as a dirt bike, so simply loosening the cables and brake line from the lower t-clamp attachemnts did the trick:
    [​IMG]

I also run AdventureTech footpeg lowering kit:
    [​IMG]

And a surprisingly effective beaded seat cover that I got from a friend while trying to figure out which aftermarket seat to order. That was 7 years ago, and I am still using the beads (and didn't order any seats...):
    [​IMG]

Gustavo
    TreasureState, EZ-D, lwood10 and 5 others like this.
  18. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    I noticed when riding home last weekend that my wrists were at an awkward angle and my elbows were bent way too much. I've been looking at bars to find one with as little sweep as possible. I'm on my way home now to do some measuring to figure out what height I need.

I've tried beads on other bikes and don't recall any difference. I have some I could try again. Airhawk is a maybe. I'm skeptical about the Sit&Fly despite having read a lot of good reviews. I suppose I could try that as it can't make the seat any worse than it is. Either way, a new seat is getting purchased ASAP. I don't want to wait months so Sargent is still the leading candidate.
  19. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I have that Sargent seat, for my DL650. (So take this info with a grain of salt.) Before that I was using a Terry Adcox seat, which I still have, up in the rafters. The Adcox, while better than stock, was a 300-mile seat at best. The Sargent was better, but I still had to do surgery on it, adding another layer of foam. With a pneumatic stapler it is not a hard job. Now, the Sargent has taken me on 700 and 800 mile days with no problem, and I'm hoping to do an Iron Butt with it one of these days.
    YMMV. Good luck!
    EZ-D likes this.
  20. Pollack

Pollack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seats are subjective; however, why was it only a 300 mile seat?

Best regards,