VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    It's been quite a few years now since I quit using it. I suppose I'd have to get it out of the rafters and give my bony ass a refresher course, before giving a full review.
    I just remember that it became very uncomfortable around the 300 mile mark.
    The work is top quality but ultimately it didn't suit me. But like I said, "Take this with a grain of salt," YMMV, etc.
  2. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RedEx,
    Did you do a thread on how you modified the Sargent seat?
  3. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    If I did I forget now, BUT, I did do a post about installing a Seat Concepts kit on my DR650. Actually, that experience is what gave me the motivation to try improving the Sargent. Having a pneumatic stapler makes the job pretty easy.
    I don't recall the company now, but I bought some high-quality 1/2 inch thickness foam, which I think was graded for its resilience, (which may be called its "smash factor," I guess.) I took the Sargent seat cover off, loosened the stock foam from the seat pan, and put the additional foam on the seat pan, using 3M adhesive spray to attach it to the seat pan. I then sprayed adhesive on that and reinstalled the stock foam over it, then stapled the cover back on. Much better. The reason I put the new foam underneath, was because it would be nearly impossible to add it to the top and still keep the right contours around the edges, directly under the seat cover. It probably would've looked like crap, anyway. The pneumatic staplers are fairly inexpensive, you can get them at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. Just make sure to use stainless steel staples, since seats are often exposed to the weather.
  4. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RedEx,
    Thanks for that info. My DL1K came with a Sargent seat. Like has been said, seats are subjective. For me it's an OK seat. I'd prefer it to not have the vertical rise at the aft end of the rider's seating area; for me that should be flatter.

The Russell on my previous bike, an '03 Concour, fit ok too but wasn't perfect.
  5. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Ha, I had the very same Concours. What a beast. Yea I thought Russell was like the Holy Grail of seats. Good luck if you mod your Sargent.
  6. lwood10

lwood10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a little project to up my chances of NOT getting rear ended. In the video I state that I have around $20 into it but that does not include the cost of the Eastern Beaver brake light adaptor. It is hard to see but the LED strip lights flash as well. Light strip ($16), flasher module ($5) both from superbright LEDS and $30 for adaptor from Eastern Beaver.
  7. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    The blue probably shows dirt more so needs more washing. So, Grey for me.
  8. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
    I've been doing a lot of reading and research on seats for the past several days. I was reading about Foam Factory and grippy marine vinyl when I came across something I had somehow failed to notice. There is a high seat and a low seat. Turns out I have a low seat. Son of a bitch!, my neighbors probably heard me exclaim. I did a bit of online shopping a bought a high seat. I would have bought a gel seat but I couldn't find one if it exists for the 2014. Black and grey was the only thing available, no one had the khaki. Whatever, I'll put some sort of cover over it if looks weird. I figure I'll use the evil low seat to ship off to Russell in September.
    Tmaximusv and RedEX like this.
  9. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yea I do like the colors on your bike. Hope the new seat matches well for you!
    jwumpus likes this.
  10. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Sit & Fly. I will make this seat issue stop no matter what it takes. I now have a personal vendetta against this seat.

On an unrelated note, do GL1800 footpegs work on a 2014? It's hard to tell from reading about it. Is there a different option?
    RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  11. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a note about the Sit & Fly covers... if you ride in dusty conditions, the mesh traps a lot of dirt and grit. I had remove it and clean the seat after nearly every ride (I live on a gravel road).
    RedEX likes this.
  12. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I hadn't considered that. Seems like it should be pretty easy to clean. Not that I expect to encounter a lot of dust. You never know, though.
    ag_streak likes this.
  13. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Not sure about your 1000, but I have used GL1800 pegs on my 2012 DL650. They were really nice, but I've since switched to the SW-Motech "Ion" footpegs, which are a bit more aggressive option for off-pavement. (I always hesitate to use "off-road " and V-Strom in the same sentence!) :lol3

Another note on the Sit-N-Fly:
    It actually provides so much airflow that it's too cold for the nether regions, if used in cold weather. :eekers
    Also, keep an eye where it may contact your tank, at the front edge of your seat. It feels pretty coarse and may wear into the paint there.
    ag_streak likes this.
  14. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no way I'm taking a bike like mine really off-road. It looks too nice and it's heavier than I want to wrestle with. I'm going to get something actually meant for that sort of thing. My Strom is really my touring bike and I'd like bigger pegs for my huge feet.

I've got a big roll of 3M tape so scratching shouldn't be a problem.
    RedEX likes this.
  15. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Cool, well then the GL1800 pegs should be perfect.
    Somewhere many many pages back in this thread, I had posted a comparison photo of the GL1800's vs stock pegs. I'll try to find it again, but I think you'll like them.

Yea my DL650 is my "touring bike," although I'm open to pretty much any gravel road or forest service road with it, as well.
    Good luck, have fun!
  16. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    LexLeroy and Pollack like this.
  17. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of pegs, does anyone know if KLR650 pegs fit the newest gen DL1k? I have some inexpensive KLR pegs on my '04 650 that have held up great over the last 50k miles, thinking it might be a good way to go on my '18 1k too. Hoping to not have to take the pegs off of the 650 and try them on the 1k, if anyone has the info already.
  18. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    That looks huge in comparison. Is it my imagination or is the Honda peg not completely horizontal? It looks to be tilted slightly counter clockwise. Or maybe it's that it's 6 am and I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee.
  19. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    It may have had about a 10-degree forward tilt, I don't have them on the bike any more so I can't confirm. If you are OCD like I am, don't worry there was no problem at all. In fact they were really really nice when standing on the pegs, if riding along loose gravel roads, for example.

They do stick out to the sides a little bit more than stock, and that was my only minor issue; I only have 32" inseam and when putting a foot down on either side, say when parking, etc., I would usually bump my ankles on them. But taller folks shouldn't have any problem.
    jwumpus likes this.
  20. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Now if I could actually find some, I'd be in business...