VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
  2. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Ordered handlebars and risers on Friday and got them this morning. That was much faster than expected!
  3. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Even though I ride a Suzuki, I've had good experience with my local Honda dealership. That's where I ordered mine. Just FYI, they don't come assembled so there a couple of different pieces that need to be ordered separately. Also, I think Honda calls them "foot rests," or something like that; not the search term a person would normally think of.
  4. pidjones

pidjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might find them on eBay as some GL riders convert to floorboards.
    RedEX likes this.
  5. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Roughly $90 for a pair from the local Honda dealer. Seems quite reasonable. Pads are on 4-6 week backorder but everything else in a week. I'll just get some pads on eBay or something.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Stroms really are not that great off-road even after you throw a ton of $ at it.
    Some sure try however with mixed results.

I'd say it's best as a gravel runner bike using tires like Dunlop Mission.
    RedEX likes this.
  7. lwood10

lwood10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the front LED lights and the Eastern Beaver, PC-8 hooked up today. Instructions on the PC-8 are better for the older models. I have a 2018. I have the front LED lights working but only when I hit the brakes. Gonna search for a better switching wire tomorrow. Not a bad install and really like the PC-8 set up. Any future additions that need power, it will be an easy job. 20210614_144922.jpg 20210614_164534.jpg 20210614_144953.jpg 20210614_164524.jpg
    Eastbayview and jwumpus like this.
  8. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no problem with gravel or dirt roads but the thing is that they're still roads. Good enough for me on this bike. I've got Shinko 705s on now but I like the look of that Dunlop. That's a lot of tire. Just checked on it, almost 14 lbs! That's a LOT of tire.
    EZ-D likes this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That's why they are lasting 8-10,000 miles on the rear. I know several friends now who have settled upon this tire as their 50/50 go to above all.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/dunlop-trailmax-mission-adv-tires.1411149/
  10. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone advise as to minimum rotor thickness for a Gen1 DL 1000? I have an 04 with 94,000ish on the odo and think the rotors are close to needing replacement, the pads are getting replaced as they're done.

Any thoughts on pad/rotor combos and a source to order appreciated too.
  11. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    dont know about first gen dl1000 but my factory service manual for my 2018 dl1000 says
    the service limit is 4.5mm or .180" on front disc
    svs likes this.
  12. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information- also as I look at the rotors they’re marked with minimum thickness 4.5 mm.
    Makes sense, and mine are all in need of replacing-
    CC1C3BD4-456A-422B-8290-677779E6FBF2.jpeg FF43F2E7-340B-4E47-8F4C-3AD337D08094.jpeg
    Now the question is do I spend money upgrading the calipers, lines, and master cylinder on the old Strom as I need new rotors and pads?

I’m thinking yes as I really like this Motorcycle, the upgrade would make me like it more, it obviously would stop better and I have new tires to install at the same time!!

E0400ADF-12CA-4348-A945-B3F87B81F6F9.jpeg

Any feedback from those who’ve upgraded your braking system love to see pics and get feedback-

I’ll be checking in with Blair at SV racing parts as he’s a good source from what I’ve read.
    lwood10, ROYAL COACHMAN and ag_streak like this.
  13. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    I learned a great lesson yesterday. Never try to measure things when you're exhausted. I wanted new handlebars so last Thursday I set about measuring and calculating after a very long day at work. Once satisfied with my results, I ordered Tusk T-10 CR high bend bars. They arrived yesterday and I started installing them. Hmm...these are way too low...hmm...the dimensions of the current bars are different than what stock bars should be. I'm pretty sure that I managed to get every measurement I took completely wrong. That takes real talent. I went back and reread the references I used and came to the conclusion that the bars currently on the bike are not the stock bars. So I installed the 2' risers with the original bars to see how it would look. These might work after all with the risers. The problematic bends at the elbow and wrist are gone. Clutch cable is just on the edge of being too tight, though. Maybe I could move it in a bit.
    lwood10 likes this.
  15. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well if the pullback is still a little to much you can bend them by putting a pipe over the ends. Need to clamp them down good onto a workbench or large table saw platform. How do I know ... ?
  16. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer :photog :jack
  17. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    I thought bending bars was bad. Perhaps I misread. This is not my area of expertise.
  18. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    :D
  19. Hukamosh

Hukamosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    you don't need a master cylinder for 4 pot calipers (unless you want to). I did calipers and lines and this was a great improvement.
    TreasureState, Loutre and LexLeroy like this.
  20. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here with Tokico calipers from a 2002 GSXR750. No problems, great brakes.