VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One: you would not bend them much and two: how you think they became the shape they are (starting from a straight pipe)?
  2. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    Bending it will probably yield to some degree, but people do it all the time. I don’t think the forces involved are enough to expose the yield effects and cause failures.

That said, I don’t bend metals without research, especially if your life is on the line.
    LexLeroy likes this.
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I did the 4 pot conversion on a k5 with ss brakelines. Worked wonders ! D'eau easyJet to do. Used old fireblade 04 gold calipers.

QUOTE="svs, post: 42513951, member: 13337"]Thanks for the information- also as I look at the rotors they’re marked with minimum thickness 4.5 mm.
    Makes sense, and mine are all in need of replacing-
    View attachment 3029155 View attachment 3029156
    Now the question is do I spend money upgrading the calipers, lines, and master cylinder on the old Strom as I need new rotors and pads?

I’m thinking yes as I really like this Motorcycle, the upgrade would make me like it more, it obviously would stop better and I have new tires to install at the same time!!

View attachment 3029163

Any feedback from those who’ve upgraded your braking system love to see pics and get feedback-

I’ll be checking in with Blair at SV racing parts as he’s a good source from what I’ve read.[/QUOTE]
  4. twinpower

twinpower 1200R Sportster

Oddometer:
    Recently bought a nice 2014 V-Strom 650 and sold my 2006 Sportster 1200 Roadster (which was a great bike). Love the V-Strom, but am bothered with some vibration that I feel mostly on the right hand at speeds around 65 mph and up. (I'm probably a little sensitive there due to some carpal tunnel type symptoms in recent years)

It has the Suzuki engine guards and a serious skid plate. I've searched/read as much as possible about it, as it seems fairly common after adding engine guards. Have tried adding some rubber between the connection of the 2 sides in front of the engine, and on the skid plate mounting located there. It seems to have helped a little.

I've also read about the "thrust adjusters" on the engine mounts, and the importance of checking that they are tightened to spec. That requires a special castle socket from Suzuki to loosen/tighten the lock nut.

Before I buy a one time use overpriced socket :), is there anyone around the Raleigh/Durham, NC area that has one to sell/rent/borrow? And/or does anyone here have experience doing this that could lend some advice?

Before I just ditch the skid plate and engine guards, I'd like to check those "thrust adjusters"... (#5 on the drawing). The locknut that requires the special tool is #6.

Thanks - Mike

[​IMG]

My "new" 2014:

20210605_080051_HDR.jpg
  5. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike. You will need a small jack to support the motor while you re-torque those Thrust Adjusters.
    ag_streak likes this.
  6. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at my '18 1000 and the cables aren't the issue, but the brake hose goes to hard line to run to the ABS unit. Not sure how easy it would be to replace (if there is a longer version) or how to extend its length. I didn't even look at the clutch line.
  7. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
    I know adventuretech carries longer brake lines.
  8. JonB85

JonB85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm in Wake Forest and have a 2013 I got recently that's pretty buzzy on the highway. I don't have crash bars (opted for frame sliders instead) but I don't remember my SV650 vibrating as much at higher RPMs so I think it may be worth checking my bike anyway.

I just watched this video and it looks like there is a second larger one at one of the upper frame bolts too. You can see it in Blair's video on installing frame sliders at about 34 seconds in: I'll have to go through the service manual to see what it says about this larger one. It may not need attention as it seems most guys are just re-torquing the lower one.

I have a similar tool I used to remove a pulley from my Monster. If I have time today I'll see if it fits either of the nuts on our bikes. If not, I never mind adding a new tool to my collection :) Let me know if you're interested in tackling this together. It looks simple enough.
    TreasureState, RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  9. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Wow perfect timing, thanks! My 2012, now at 60,000 miles has just developed an annoying buzz, right about 5600 rpm. Nothing new has been added to the bike for tens of thousands of miles, and I've checked every possible bolt and fastener. I'll give this a go, thanks again!
  10. twinpower

Oddometer:
    Hi - Yes, I'd be interested in working on this with you. Let me know
    If your socket works, else we need order one.

I have seen that video, and have the shop manual. I don't have the best set of tools, but do have the basics.

Mike
  11. Bighammer49686

Oddometer:
    I have a set of sockets that a guy from SVrider made quite a few years ago. I'm guessing it will bit these as well.

I'm a little confused by the thrust adjuster. Going by the name, I'm wondering if the alignment of the drive sprocket can be altered a bit by adjusting these. I've noticed some odd wear indicating the front and rear sprockets are not quite on the same plane. I need to read up on this stuff more....
  12. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I think I'll order the Motion Pro equivalent. Think he said it was around $40 bucks, in the video. That's not terrible, compared to OEM.
    Had the same situation doing the steering head bearings, OEM Suzuki tool was way too expensive. Found an alternative from a tool-maker on eBay (IIRC). Good luck!

Edit: Inflation strikes! It's more like $50 now. :( Oh well.
  13. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ... the alignment of the drive sprocket ....
    No, it won't change the engine position for practical purposes. If you are lucky it may reduce vibrations because the engine is properly clamped within the frame, not too loose and not to tight. Mine were loose but it did not make any noticeable difference. The werks clutch basket did and so did the boosterplug.
    Bighammer49686 likes this.
  14. Bighammer49686

Oddometer:
    I dug them out and shot a quick pic, but I haven't looked to see if they fit. It''s bad, but I don't remember who made these, but it is top notch work.

IMG_20210619_211214392.jpg
    Clambucket and RedEX like this.
  15. JonB85

JonB85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok cool. The Ducati socket didn't fit but I just ordered a set for both the lower and upper nuts. A company in the UK makes them for a little bit cheaper than the Motion Pro or Suzuki OEM sockets. They're just going to take a couple weeks to come though. I'll keep you posted.
  16. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Probably too late for you but I found knockoffs on eBay and they came pretty fast. Much cheaper, too.

Vinnie
    Bighammer49686 likes this.
  17. twinpower

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks. I thought the locknut of both the upper and lower used the same special tool (the "castle" socket), but the actual thrust adjusters used different sized sockets. Guess we'll find out!

Mike
  18. TreasureState

TreasureState A murse posing as a freelance dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Went from the minor groove to the lagging strand
    I know that I am coming late to this party (hey, I was out camping/riding for father's day), but wanted to add my standard "horses for courses" reply since the DR650 vs. V-Strom 650 discussion comes up a lot.

Different tools for different jobs. I am fortunate to own a V-Strom 650, a DR650, & a DR-Z400. Each has their own performance envelope:
    V-Strom is my mile water and adept touring bike
    DR650 is my overnight or adventure bike that does it all
    DR-Z400 is my day tripper woods/trail, grown man's dirt bike
    I also have 2 cruiser bikes, wife and kid's bikes as well. Each are fun, and if I had a gun to my head to sell off all of them to just keep one and only one, it would be my DR650. Good enough to ride to Dairy Queen or Deadhorse - for me, it is my Swiss Army Knife bike.
  19. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Mike, you are correct. I just used the Motion Pro tool for both lock nuts. Also, the lower thrust adjuster does require a 19mm socket; only a 6-pt works, not a 12-pt. The upper thrust adjuster requires a 23mm socket, and I only have a 6-pt so I can't tell you whether a 12-pt socket works. (I suspect not.)
    TreasureState likes this.
  20. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Late to the brake discussion, but I made a set of plates to adapt old Ducati Brembo P34 calipers.

Massive improvement.