VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. twinpower

twinpower 1200R Sportster

Oddometer:
    RedEx, Thanks, that is what I thought after searching several places about it. I have a 23mm 12 pt socket, now need to locate a 19mm 6 pt.

Mike
    RedEX likes this.
  2. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Motion Pro tool and the 6 point 23 mm socket. If anybody wants them contact me. (12 point 23 mm socket does not work, the adjuster nut has rounded corners!)
    TreasureState likes this.
  3. twinpower

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM...
  4. jwumpus

jwumpus standup philosopher

Oddometer:
    I replaced the evil low seat with the Suzuki high seat. Also put on a Sit&Fly and 2 inch risers. A serious improvement in comfort. The problem now is that I'm a bit too high to comfortably put both feet on the ground, a problem I've never experienced and one that I seriously dislike. I've had a few moments of wondering if I was about to drop the bike. So I'm looking at adventuretech and trying to decide if I want to lower by 11/16 or 1 inch. I don't know how people ride bikes that are a bit too tall for them. I don't think I could ever get used to that unpleasant sensation of weightlessness and my brain going AAAAHHHHHH!!!
  5. keyzard

keyzard Falls over a lot....

Oddometer:
    @jwumpus , I didn't read backwards through this thread......what year/size is your Strom? I'm looking for a low seat for my wife's and we aren't that far apart (I'm in Cheektowaga). If it fits do you want to sell?
  6. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 Desert Khaki 1000. Not sure if that would work for you?
  7. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    Latest picture

[​IMG]
    Watercat, lwood10, CoopsDL and 2 others like this.
  8. keyzard

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, no. She has a 2006 650. But thanks for the reply!

Very nice bike BTW!!
  9. blaustrom

blaustrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    My wife is in Spokane today picking up a 2006 DL650.
    RobG. likes this.
  11. keyzard

Oddometer:
    That looks like a lot of fun! Unfortunately our summer weekends are generally spent at our land in Alfred Station. We have a lot of projects planned for this year, so free time is at a premium. Maybe next year?

I'm so glad we bought that property so we would have a nice place to "camp and relax"........:imaposer
    ag_streak likes this.
  12. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Great, now you'll have a his and hers V-Stroms. :ricky:ricky

BTW, is that one of Phil's bikes she is buying?

Gustavo
  13. jwumpus

Oddometer:
    It is, indeed. I mentioned it to my wife just now and she remembers you from the Wet Leather crowd.
  14. JonB85

JonB85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'6"...welcome to my life :rofl

You could try just dropping the front end a little bit first. I had to do that on my 650 to make it manageable. I've got lowering links but haven't installed them yet. I've got a used kickstand coming that I need to have shortened before I lower the bike any more. After dropping the forks about a half inch, it can be a bit tricky trying to put the stand down on sloped or uneven pavement.
  15. EJJ

EJJ Dog lover

Oddometer:
    I took the time to R & R the adjusters cut castle drive slots which worked out fine. Kind of a PITA to do the upper if you have engine guards, patience is your friend...:-)

Attached Files:

wilddoktor likes this.
  16. twinpower

Oddometer:
    Nice work... what Suzuki should have done! Since you just R&R your adjusters, can you confirm what sockets are necessary for the upper and lower adjusters?
    Lower: 19MM 6 pt
    Upper: 23MM 6 pt or 12 pt?

Thanks - Mike
  17. EJJ

EJJ Dog lover

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, yeah I use 6pt in metric when ever possible. I used 6 point on both, if I remember correctly I only used a 12 point at the bolt end of one of the rods in the snug up before torqueing. I found the upper adjuster a little loose but hard to get an accurate torque reading even with the "v" support tightened up. Those groves were cut with a chop saw, be careful with that deal....:yikes By the way I live in the southwest which is normally a dry climate, when I pulled the lower mount rod out it had 2" of rust at the tread end but not on the threads. I suggest if you are going to take the time to do any of this, when you pull that bottom rod and have a look see, check for rust. :nod
    I used a small floor jack where the oil drain is for support.
    warm regards, Ed

Attached Files:

RedEX likes this.
  18. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Just a follow-up regarding the thrust adjusters:
    So I got everything torqued to spec- the top adjuster wasn't actually loose, but also wasn't tight, just snug. Got everything back together, skid plate, crash bars, etc., and the buzzing is gone!

It was a little more involved because of the crash bars and skid plate, but without those accessories it would be a pretty quick, easy job. Definitely worth the time invested.
    rubline, OCLandspeeder and wilddoktor like this.
  19. twinpower

Oddometer:
    Great to hear RedEx! JonB85 and I are planning to check/adjust ours this weekend, hopefully with the same results.
    RedEX likes this.
  20. EJJ

EJJ Dog lover

Oddometer:
    Finally got in a test ride this AM....no joy :baldy Buzz isn't as bad as it was but still there around 5500, not going to fret over it to much, I don't run that fast for long periods anyway, might check a few other things but I'd rather ride now than chase down the "what ifs".:hmmmmm At 75 I grabbed the Givi bars and they were singing the same tune as the handle bars. Once I get a trip already planned done I might dig into it again since I have the tool and now I'm more up on the procedure it shouldn't take near as long. I know the bottom ones right, just question if the torques right at the top.