VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    KIMG1559.JPG wife and I just getting back home after riding all weekend in the blue ridge mountains. We had a blast! Wee did very well.
  2. Dynamick

Dynamick Ornamental Supporter

Oddometer:
    WTF :baldy
    So I installed an Eastern Beaver PC8 kit, in my 2011 650 VStrom. Now the turn signals and hazards do not work. Brake and running lights do. Tonight I am fried... Tomorrow, what should I check first?
  3. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    First thing I would do is look at the wiring diagram. Get an understanding of where the things involved are connected.

Then go back and look at your installation. Where is it getting power? What changes did you make to connect it?
    Dynamick likes this.
  4. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    The kit has a switching lead connector that plugs inline into the bike’s rear brake light switch connector. That is the only plug I deliberately opened. The power leads are on the battery.
    64DE704E-94AC-4576-BCDA-ABDAD03E48BE.jpeg
  5. EJJ

EJJ Dog lover

Oddometer:
    Fuses? And what desert donor suggested.
    Dynamick and DesertDonor like this.
  6. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    Remove the inline connector for the PC8, see if the stuff that stopped working, works again. Usually a new problem like this is something you touched recently.
    Motomantra and Dynamick like this.
  7. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    I'm off work at 5 and will be back at it this evening.
    DesertDonor likes this.
  8. WolfPackOne

WolfPackOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been addressed already and feel free to direct me if so.

Two questions about the cowling and frame panel CLIPS.

First: There appear to be different part numbers and prices but should be the same clip right? Cowling Clip is #09409-06329 (2) count for $2.95 and Frame Clip is #09409-06314 (5) count for $2.95.

Second: Any thoughts on below picture variances?

1st picture is the actual clip I need.

2nd picture is the clip pictured in the part diagram which matches mine. Part # 09409-06329

3rd picture is same part but when selected shows a different clip type.

Clip Actual.JPG

Clip Cowling.jpg

Clip Actual 2.jpg
  9. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's small and not real clear, but that 3rd pic looks like a crank with a vertical con rod to me. :y0!
  10. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    RevZilla has them,
    Suzuki CLIP 09409-07333, SKU: 1571452
    and
    Suzuki CLIP (BLACK) 09409-06314-5PK, SKU: 1567777
    Those are the SKUs for my 2011 but they have those part diagrams to check yours. Suzuki uses those clips on bunches of their models.
    dp064 likes this.
  11. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the push pins have longer barrels and the ones with shorter barrels won't lock in those positions.

..Tom
    dp064 and RedEX like this.
  12. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    Turn signals not working follow up

Went back in, plastics and tank off. Brake light switched couple reinstalled as-was and no go on the signals. Fuses checked, everything that was supposed to be plugged was and checked for looseness. Still not a flash.
    Then I had a thought that I had put all the power supply lines into the switched part of the PC8, where everything was previously live all the time. The power supply to my sidecar (Didn't mention SC before, sorry) had its own relays, moved that to an non-switched slot and voilà! Now it works!

1B8EB3A6-BAED-4649-B7FA-4D7FC94894DC.jpeg F558B0D9-21AA-4E9D-BFB9-D35EBB3DC977.jpeg 17F60927-C38F-4A63-B322-B8014EB330D8.jpeg

Attached Files:

Rusty Shakelford and rubline like this.
  13. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    2014 Vstrom 1000. I'm thinking about breaking down and pulling the tank to do the air filter. Any must-do's while I'm in there?

EDIT: Mileage is 18k
  14. Genypig

Genypig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently did the same on my 2018 Vstrom 1000. Took off the tank to do some cable management and decided to change the air filter while I was at it. Discovered that my airbox had about 1.5 cups of engine oil in it. Probably from the several falls I had off road. Luckily, the intake ports have tall plastic flanges that don't allow standing liquid to go inside of the intake ports themselves. Also got to remove some several-year-old dirt and dust that had gathered.

There's a vid on YouTube where a guy takes the tank off, it's fairly easy IMO. Use the tank prop that is bolted behind the main bolt in from of the seat when disconnecting/connecting the fuel line and air breather lines.
  15. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I put my VStrom 650 up for sale in the flea market.
  16. WolfPackOne

WolfPackOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys are AWESOME.
    I never noticed they were different sizes. Perhaps the previous owner/mechanic did not replace with the correct sizes since mine all appear to be the same (hence why some are very loose). Suzuki say's 3-4 weeks +/- a week to ship (WTH) Revzilla in the mail today!!

Thanks again for the quick help.
    rubline, dp064 and Tmaximusv like this.
  17. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Those are called push rivets, and they're a generic fastener available on Amazon for cheap in bulk.

You specify them by diameter (iirc the Vstrom uses 6mm) and grip length - 6, 8, 10 mm, whatever. Just measure the old ones. Also, they're not high precision - so if the old one is 5.6mm, close enough, get a 6mm.

Lifetime supply for $8 with free shipping, get them tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/labwork-part...keywords=6mm+push+rivet&qid=1625767767&sr=8-3
    lwood10, dp064, WolfPackOne and 2 others like this.
  18. DesertDonor

Oddometer:
    What he said. Cycle Gear usually stocks the 6mm size. The most common size on first gen Vee/Wee. No reason to pay OEM prices and wait weeks for shipping.
    dp064 and WolfPackOne like this.
  19. Bushmaster

Bushmaster ChazEd

Oddometer:
    You'll also want to avoid the F***-Up I did when attempting to slide the fuel line back onto tank nipple.... On the "18 XT 1000 there is little to no slack when tank is on lift bracket. I managed to dislodge the internal black O-ring in the line with the leading edge of the nipple because I wasn't able to get perfect straight on alignment when "forcing" them back together into locking position. beware all!
    lwood10, dp064 and DesertDonor like this.
  20. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Anyone install a set of Shinko 705s recently? I got a set to replace the TKC70 my V-Strom had on. They are broken in now and they seem very different from what I thought I remembered the previous set was. Granted, that was a couple of years ago, but still.

This new front seems to be more triangular than before, and the bike falls into curves with a lot less effort than the last set I had (or the TKC70 they replaced, but they were well worn at this point). It reminds me of how the original Anakees were and why I liked them so much on the DL1K. I'm not complaining, it's actually a nice surprise, but since I didn't remember the previous set handling like this, I was wondering if Shinko made this change recently and anyone else who has ran multiple sets noticed a difference.

Gustavo
    DesertDonor likes this.