VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. SKM348

SKM348 n00b

Oddometer:
    I currently have a 2020 VStrom 1050XT. I just installed my GPR exhaust and it comes with a removeable baffle. I put the baffle in and while it's an improvement over stock I'd like to remove it to see if the tone gets deeper. Will I have have to remap the engine or can I leave as is? How do you know if you have to remap and what are consequences of removing the baffle?

Thanks!
  2. SKM348

SKM348 n00b

Oddometer:
    BTW, how do you post a new thread? All I can do is reply.
  3. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Probably need 25 or more posts.

Got a new 1050! Nice. I don't think mapping will be a problem with all the O2 sensors. You will just have to find out. Dyno run with A/F ratio is the best way to find out.
  4. SKM348

SKM348 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks - makes sense, just not sure I want to go to the expense of a dyno run while it's still under warranty. I'll remove the baffle and see how throttle response and fuel economy are and go from there.
  5. seaduck100

seaduck100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to look at this on Saturday:

2006 DL1000 V-Strom. Top and side cases included. Madstad adjustable windshield. Heated grips, Bark Busters, crash bars, skid plate, fork brace. Recent oil change, brake/clutch hydraulic fluid, coolant, valve adjustment done. Forks recently rebuilt with gold valves installed. 1 tooth smaller countershaft sprocket, and speedometer corrected with Speedo Healer. Also has bar mounted volt meter with USB ports and a RAM phone mount.

The guy is an automotive tech/mechanic so he's done all of the updates and work himself. Got it for a big adventure ride with a buddy who then totaled his bike. So this is bike #3 in his stable.

Comes with topbox and panniers too and he said that the oil has been Synthetic, . No leaks or weeping at last check. I’ve done a valve adjustment within the last year, and was into the clutch housing to repair the basket . So those gaskets are new.

Comes with this kind of luggage (this is not the same bike)

[​IMG]

Comes with this kind of luggage (this is not the same bike)

[​IMG]

He's asking $4495
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    If you might be considering a 650, I have one for sale in the Portland area.
  7. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give him $4500 and say thank you!
    How many miles?
  8. seaduck100

seaduck100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    30k miles
  9. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s a nice find- I think you’d enjoy that bike-

I have an 04 bought new in 3/05 that now has 94k runs well- has all those upgrades plus a few others- just replaced brakes and got new Tires!

44F21336-7B0F-4294-AA0D-D418DB19FC97.jpeg
  10. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    New to the Strom world coming from Triumph Tigers to a 3rd gen XT. Planning a trip west next month and looking for tire advice. Probably be close to 10k when all is said and done. I'll be doing some easy dirt but nothing crazy. Is the Anakee 3 my best bet? Last time I needed long distance miles was on my 1050 Tiger and I ran Pilot Roads then.
  11. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Yep. That's a reasonable deal with the luggage and accessories!
  12. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I like my Kenda Big Block Pavers quite well - the rear will probably last that distance, although if your bike is heavily laden, tire life goes down.

An important question is this: will you be evenly interspersing the dirt with the road, or will there be mostly road with one dirt section? If it's one section, is it near the beginning or end of the trip? It's not a bad plan to have a 100% street tire for your street miles and swap onto a ADV tire for the dirt section.

When RacerWife & I went to AK, we selected some Heidenau K60s for the trip. It was a mistake - we only rode dirt once we got to AK. We could easily have enjoyed high-mileage, quiet, good-handling street tires for the 98% of our trip and just paid someone in AK to swap tires.
  13. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the Anakee 3 would be your best bet. It's the longest lasting tyre I've used in the 6 years I've owned my 14. Never tried the cheaper ones, not available here.
    I get 7k miles from a rear anakee3 where as I struggle to get 5k from a road 5. Bridgestone A40 last well to, 6.5k miles. This is all back road riding and I use them hard so you just might get 10k on a gentle trip. Good luck.
  14. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'll be mostly paved roads with some easy dirt thrown in along the way. Not riding any BDRs or anything like that.
  15. Genypig

Genypig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to complicate your tire selection, but I currently have the Dunlop TrailMax Mission tires. They are really nice on pavement and have good grip on corners. When it comes to offroad, I feel like they're more capable than me as a rider. Of course they are much more aggressive than the Anakee 3's.
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of mileage do you get out of them?
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    A 1050XT? I had a first gen DL1K, and I only managed to get one set of Tourances to go 12K riding two-up on tour. Under more "normal" riding conditions they'd be gone in 6K. Heck, even on my DL650 I can't get that many miles out of a set of tires. If the dirt sections are not in the first 3K miles, you will be riding on a tire that has less than optimal tread depth. If you pick something knobby(er) and more off-road oriented, maybe even less than that. This is also important for the road riding parts if you get caught in any rain. I'd get my favorite 90/10 tire for a trip like this and hope they last, but also plan on where they can be replaced if need be.

Gustavo
    RedEX and Roadracer_Al like this.
  18. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
  19. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going with the Anakee 3s. They should give me 9k and I'll stick to dry dirt. Should be easy out west.
    With that said I want to give my thoughts on the XT. My bikes for the last 10 years have been Triumph triples. 955 Sprint to 800 Roadie. 1050 Sprint, 1050 Tiger, 800XC Tiger, Street Triple (2010, beat year), 800 Roadie, now my old friends Strom XT. I'm loving this bike. It does almost everything right. Excels at little but is in the groove 100%. Fits an old guy well.
    ag_streak likes this.
  20. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey! I resemble that remark! :beer
    svs likes this.