VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. freeway crash

freeway crash Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m a Wee owner…..again. Traded a ‘77 blazer for an 07 V Strom 650. It’s now safely in the garage next to my CRF250l. I have spanned the gamut of MC ownership over the last 8 years and I keep coming back to the V Strom. Best all around bike I’ve owned.

A05E6E88-359B-439B-B612-68BF94E685E6.jpeg

Ordered bar risers and peg lowering kit today. Next is a skid plate. Adventure to follow…….
  2. snorkie

snorkie I"m a nice guy.

Oddometer:
    I've got a '17 650 with a navigation bar mounted just above the dash. I have a Ram mount for my phone and just ordered a GPS for an upcoming ride. My issue is that my ram mount doesn't grip the smooth bar very well and when I'm on the fun roads, my phone due to the weight eventually points down to the ground. I have to constantly adjust it. Have any of you added stuff to your bar to make it not smooth? I'm considering attaching [with liquid nails)] a nail to the metal to give the mount something to keep it from rolling. Is this a good idea?

PXL_20210824_131836181.jpg
    TreasureState likes this.
  3. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    Use grip tape on the bar and inside of the mount. Same stuff used for lacrosse sticks and the like. I use some on the nav bar of my 1050xt for the same purpose (and protecting it from scratches).
    TreasureState and Tmaximusv like this.
  4. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had success using cut sections from old bicycle tubes also.
    TreasureState and Scotty707 like this.
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    You and me both. I'm on maybe my eighth one...? They got it right and keep making them better as the models progress.
  6. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ ^ ^ This. Any adhesive-backed sandpaper-like material, like a strip of sanding disk or skateboard grip tape.

Don't use scissors to cut out the strip! :beer
    TreasureState and snorkie like this.
  7. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    The o-rings are worthless and they biodegrade in short order. I removed the spacer, chucked it up in the lathe and faced off about .030". Reinstalled and everything snugged right up. Still have not tested.

Edit: Problem solved.
  8. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Ordering parts for a 2004 650 fork rebuild and wondering who carries SKF seals for these, and who's the preferred distributor? Motosport has free shipping, so does Partzilla after $149; any others I should consider? Also need to do steering stem bearings and wondering who's preferred on those? If All Balls, I can get through either distributor so will add to the order. Finally, on the diagram below, is item #9 really necessary? I don't know what it is (actual vinyl o-ring seal or is it a metal washer that can be reused?) I want to save $$$ where I can so I'll reuse #7 as that's not a wear item.
    https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/suzuki/2004/dl650/front-damper

Looks like #9 is a copper washer according to google images of the part number.
  10. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Consider cutting up an old inner tube and using the rubber to add grip/act as spacer? Something similar?
    pidjones likes this.
  11. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Baroquenride, I rebuilt the forks on m 2012 about this time last year, but referring to part #9, I'm ashamed to admit that "I don't remember." I'm pretty positive that I just reused the original part. Oh, and I also replaced the steering head bearings at the same time, now that was a PITA! You will need to either make, or buy the special "castle nut" tool, among other things. That tool can be bought from eBay (IIRC) way cheaper than the Suzuki-brand tool, but it's still $40 or $50 if I recall. I'll try to look some stuff up for you. In the meantime, have you seen the tutorial by Black Lab Adventures?
    https://blacklabadventures.com/motorcycle-maintenance-journal/
    Baroquenride likes this.
  12. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links RedEX! I'll use the Blacklab link as a guide. I'll probably make my own tools like he did as well. Reading through the comments I see that other people have different ways of accomplishing the removal and installation process.
    RedEX likes this.
  13. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the all balls bearings in my ‘04 650. Bought the castle
    But took from eBay. There’s a guy on there that makes them and sells them cheap. Worked like a champ.
  14. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    Saddleman seat has definitely made this bike rideable. So much more fun when I'm not nearly immediately uncomfortable, lol. Last year I got the bike and decided to keep it. First update was the fork brace which I knew I needed after the ride home from the dealer. Got a skid plate, side cases, givi windshield + clip on extension, calsci winglets, stiffer fork springs, mirror extenders, peg lowers and now the seat. This thing is finally getting dialed in and really fun. Just about wearing out the shinko 705 in back after 5,000 miles since I bought it as well...

I did notice that while solo the front fork springs have been awesome off road, that when I was two up and loaded heavy for camping it's possible to overwhelm the stock rear shock. Thinking about either a respring or an upgrade... Also put an order in for a sherpax trailer since loading for two up backpacking trips is a bit of a stretch for this bike.

Hopefully I can get a couple more good trips this season here in Wisconsin! And to not moving to a new house next year so I can have more time to ride!
  15. pfettig77

pfettig77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently have a G650Gs and a CB500X and they're both great bikes for me. The thing is that my wife likes to ride along so I'm thinking the natural bike for me would be the wee instead. Last winter there was a dealer selling a new 2020 model (non-xt) for about $5600. Now, of course, I can't find anything even close to that - more like $7000. However, there are often gen 2's available for around $4000. My question is, would a gen 3 be worth the bump in price? What are the most noticeable real-world differences. I have done a lot of reading but haven't really read what I'm looking for yet.
    daveindenver likes this.
  16. daveindenver

daveindenver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ABS, traction control, small boost in HP, and I believe many fewer complaints about windscreen and buffeting.
    As a data point, I recently picked up a super clean, mildly farkled 2017 with 5k miles for $6500. It’s awesome.
  17. cobalt60

cobalt60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Jimr80gs

Jimr80gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

@RedEX thanks for the link! New to DL and his fork rebuild is just what I need to review a time or two in depth prior to doing fork seals on mine.
    RedEX likes this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd just buy a well setup 2012+ for the $.
    Save the extra $ for additional comfort mods needed as expected. Gen 3 doesn't offer that much more since your bike #3 shopping.

Buffeting is resolved with a Givi Airflow screen on any if need be. A good upgraded seat and luggage is needed for passenger comfort.

I have a '12 650 and rarely ever find a situation where TC might be needed. With modern tires and the limited power these engines put down I'm almost never spinning the rear.

ABS is used of course. most often the rear during hard breaking as the rear lifts Had a gen 1 and gen 2 is night and day better in every way.

I have the stock brake components but upgraded to Vesrah CT pads up front and the available Vesrah RJL rear pads.
    https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/mobile/

Pads come with sanding block to prep pad.
    After new Vesrah pads and Motul 5.1 fluid my brakes are great. Didn't need to deal with mess of bleeding the brake line when upgrading parts. Happy about that.

The rear provides a ton of overall bike stopping power and the ABS works great when you're heavy footed.

I ride with my daughter all the time with my DL.
    Works great. Dunlop Mission tires are on the list next for better gravel running.

Use my F650GS for solo ADV riding/touring and my KTM 690 for solo dual sport riding/touring. With the DL each excels at a certain type of riding.

Where is your 500X going to fit in?

Ps now if you could by chance find a well setup and priced 2014/15 DL1000 that would be even better with the power and everything.
    Not sure where they are priced these days vs Gen 2 650s?
    RedEX likes this.
  20. Baroquenride

Oddometer:
    What are you guys using for fork seal drivers? Home made or otherwise? Time for me to get one or make one. I have a bunch of PVC, but it seemed like a pita when I went to make one last night out of different ill fitting pvc/abs pipe. I'll go to Home Despot tonight and see if there are coupler fittings that might work...