VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:

Let's see.... in 3 and a half months it will be 2022 and no 1050 since 2020?? That's a little more than notoriously slow. Still think they are making some major changes since there were complaints about the LCD screen, board for a seat, engine guard instead of a crash bar, no cornering ABS on the Base model and something else that slips my mind.
  2. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of '20's still needing to be sold in your area.

Here in CA, it seems they're running out of '20's back in June. Indeed I tried to buy a '20 but it sold before I got there. But the large dealership I was in already had 21's on the showroom floor.

This is just my humble opinion but, buyers gravitate towards what the internet adventure reviewers rave about (off road). Africa Twin. Tenere 700. 890 Adventure. However, I do believe most Adventure buyers only like the idea of doing all that off road riding. 90% or more of their riding is pavement. I've met more AT and GS riders who don't go off road than I have who actually do go off road. And that's ok, that's reality for many folks. I'm in same boat. I had a DR650, took it off road. Even then, 85%+ of riding on my DR650 was still on pavement. I swore some days I would do more off road riding, planned more dirt miles, then when I tallied the miles up, it still came out to 85% pavement! :lol3 Of course I live in an urban area and have to ride farther to get off road. That and also I have to have a reason to go off road....a destination per se... Probably why that limited my off road excursions to begin with. In which case, the VStrom is just a better fit. I'm going to wager this is true for most Adventure riders.
    daveindenver, Cryoman01 and snorkie like this.
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    They have done that before too (not just Suzuki). IIRC, around the previous recession too, there were a lot of unsold bikes in the US market, so some models got no new bikes for the following model year. Granted, I would have thought that by now anything that has wheels and an engine has been sold at with a healthy (for the dealer) markup by now, but if there are still 2020 models on dealer floors, maybe the large V-Strom isn't as popular as we think... :dunno

Other markets seem to have a 2021 1050 model:
    https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/bikes/adventure/v-strom-1050/
    https://bikes.suzuki.co.uk/bikes/adventure/v-strom-1050xt/

Gustavo
  4. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't this always the way with Suzuki and the vstrom in particular.
    My vstrom came into my dealers in March 2014, sat there till I bought it in March 15. I did get a good discount so suited me.
    They have good deals here in the UK at this time, especially on the base model 1050 so I'd guess at plenty of leftovers.
    I do like the 1050 and a bargin but I think it's just to similar to my 14 the warrant the change. I'm not getting a test ride as that's dangerous to the bank account!
    norton(kel) likes this.
  5. LukeMacPU

LukeMacPU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding around our perimeter loop in the woods I noticed the whole front cowl/dash seemed extra wobbly. Took a look when I got back to the garage and found the metal support that sticks out in front of steering stem was super loose!

Supposed to be lock-tite or any lock washers on that?
  6. blaustrom

blaustrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely Lock-Tite. You are not the fist one with this problem!
    LukeMacPU and TreasureState like this.
  7. LukeMacPU

LukeMacPU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will do.
    TreasureState likes this.
  8. The Sexy Medic

The Sexy Medic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Project Thinstrom has begun.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  9. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Alex

Oddometer:
    Looks like it’ll be a cool project.
  10. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it's been posted before, but always good for anyone who is unaware - DrVstrom on YouTube makes excellent tutorial vids on so many aspects of maintenance. As someone who only started wrenching on bikes a few years ago, his video's have been super helpful for a precise way to do things.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/DrVstrom/videos
    TreasureState, RedEX and V-Tom like this.
  11. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I’m ordering the stuff for my first (600 mile) oil change on my 2021 V-Strom 650.

I’m just gonna go with the Suzuki filter and wrench and whatever oil they recommend in the manual ( Ecstar or something), for now.

I wanted to order some crush washers for the drain plug while I’m at it, but the Suzuki parts site doesn’t specify if the washers they sell fit with certain bikes like they do with the filter. I can’t find what size washer I need in the manual.

I’m not a mechanic, so I wanna stick with whatever’s on there right at the moment til I get a bit more comfortable with all this.

Here’s the washer https://store.suzukicycles.com/p/crush-washer-1?mobile=1

Looks like it’s just the one. Was wondering if anyone has ordered this and knows if it’ll work or can point me in the right direction to grab a few…

Cheers
  12. pdmigs

pdmigs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a kit from Amazon. Had the filter, oil and the washers (two sizes one I did not use)
    snorkie and Kamoo like this.
  13. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s handy.

Do you know which of the two washers is the right one for the 2021 V-Strom 650?

#09168-12002

or

#09168-14004

I figured out on EBay one is 12mm and the other is 14mm, but I’m having a hard time finding which one I need.
  14. Lucifer Orange

Lucifer Orange perpetually amazed

Oddometer:
    The one that fits on the drain plug. I just did a change with the Suzuki kit. Pay attention which side of the washer is up, too. That's also obvious if you look at the one you take off.
    TreasureState and Kamoo like this.
  15. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I went to the local auto parts store. I removed the drain plug and went into the store to match it up with a crush washer that would fit (kinda like the prince from Cinderella). Found it, bought it, then I just popped my drain plug back in and rode home.

I just ordered both.

I found a blog where some dude said the 14mm was for the 1000 and the 12mm for the 650.

I’ll post an update when I know which one fits to maybe help someone as clueless as me in the future googling what size washer do I need, etc.

I hope I can get away with sarcasm being newbie.
    EZ-D likes this.
  16. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    If this is helpful, you can buy them a lot cheaper in packs of 25, from McMaster-Carr. Enough to last a lifetime of oil changes! :D
    https://www.mcmaster.com/97725A116/
    Kamoo likes this.
  17. WolfStrong

WolfStrong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    McMaster is like crack, I swear. God, I love them though, even if they are more expensive than other sources.

11/10, would recommend.
  18. nestastubbs

nestastubbs Green Mountain Toys Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did the oil change on 650, and IIRC the 12mm is what you want.
    Kamoo likes this.
  19. pdmigs

pdmigs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kamoo said:
    So I went to the local auto parts store. I removed the drain plug and went into the store to match it up with a crush washer that would fit (kinda like the prince from Cinderella). Found it, bought it, then I just popped my drain plug back in and rode home.

How did you keep the oil in? LOL!
    RedEX and OldGypsy like this.
  20. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I don't spend it there the kids will just get it after I'm gone.