VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sarcasm in response to this ;)
  2. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Wee starts now. I thought it was my clutch safety switch because sometimes while pressing the start button you'd hear the relay click but move clutch lever in or out a little and then she'd start. I replaced the starter relay and now she fires every time. Had an appointment with mechanic scheduled but saved $$$
    RedEX, OldGypsy and EZ-D like this.
  3. EZ-D

EZ-D Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could you post a link to the part? I think I've got the same issue. I've replaced the clutch switch but it still has intermittent starting problems. Tks.
  4. Nostromdumbass

Nostromdumbass a duck is a fowl. a duc is often afoul of the law

Oddometer:
    Mine (an '5 650) went sideways a few months ago. Same symptoms described in this thread. Here's where I bought mine and a link to the schematic #6

[​IMG]
  5. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    16325191542473325367224562003340.jpg starter relay 08 Vstrom 650
    EZ-D and RedEX like this.
  6. Flying Turtle

Flying Turtle Flying Turtle

Oddometer:
    I just love this bike : it is the most versatile I've ever had (among 45 bikes). IMG_0031.jpg 1 IMG_0067 copia.jpg
  7. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    So, two weeks ago today, I was camping in Arkansas. I only mention it in this thread because I happened to take the V-Strom. I didn't really take many photos because I was too busy riding! I'd done a big trip in May, from Michigan to North Carolina and thereabouts, on the Versys-X 300, and those roads were amazing! BUT, some of the roads in Arkansas were equally challenging and technical, and I'd highly recommend "The Natural State."

Trip distance was over 3,400 miles, starting from southeast Michigan. Farthest day was about 750 miles, traveling through Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, to Springfield, Missouri. The next day I set up camp in Lake Ouachita state park, near Hot Springs, Arkansas. During the trip I also hit parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Kentucky before heading back through Ohio and home. The V-Strom was the perfect bike for this trip, whether long days on expressways, winding through the back roads, or exploring Forest Service roads and two-tracks; my trusty 2012 DL650 did it all. I've now accumulated over 65,000 trouble-free miles on it.

I did ride the highly-touted "Pig Trail," (AR-23), but didn't find it particularly challenging, until about the halfway point south of Huntsville. I'd have to say my favorite road was AR-7, running north and south and fairly lengthy. Traffic was generally light, but at one point I did get held up by a group of trikes; there were very few places to get by but they were going SO damn slow, that I eventually resorted to crossing the double yellow to pass them. (Don't worry, it was safe! Although they probably had a different opinion!) Push Mountain Road (AR-341) was another good one, as well as AR-27. The Talimena Scenic Byway was also a nice ride, near Mena, Arkansas, traveling through the Queen Wilhelmena state park and crossing into Oklahoma. My last day there I hit some gravel roads between Hot Springs and Mt. Ida, including two Forest Service roads that are listed in the "Arkansas Motorcycling Guide" as part of a dual-sport route: Womble Silver Rd. and Collier Springs Rd. Great fun!

A couple of things that were notable:
    It.Was.Hot. !!! :knary Second week of September and temps were mostly low-90's. I always brought water on the bike, and also stopped frequently to take breaks and buy additional beverages, but I was in a constant state of dehydration. Of course wearing full gear didn't help. I'm currently looking to invest in some cooler riding pants, planning ahead for next Summer.

Also- armadillos! As a Michigander, those are not creatures that were ever on my radar, and the first time I saw one smashed on the road, I had to slow down and say "What The F&ck???" :arg (Never did see any live ones!)

I feel like all those miles, including the off-pavement excursions, have helped me really "bond" with this bike. I was starting to favor the Versys, but really, both bikes are good in their own ways. Time to plan for another trip!

V-Strom in Arkansas.jpg Campsite at Lake Ouachita SP.jpg
  8. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2018 1000 XT. I want to put 2 inch Rox risers on the bike with stock handlebars. I currently have smaller risers on and it’s just not enough. Has anyone put 2 inch rox risers on an 18? I have a message into adventurertech for longer lines. Just curious if the wires are going to need moved in front of triple clamps which means dropping the tubes etc. Appreciate the input. Love the bike but after 20 min my back and right shoulder start hurting. I’ve tried adjusting bars to every which way but no luck. Thanks
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a good used skid plate and possibly crash bars to fit the 1st gen 650 and would like to buy in the PNW.
  10. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    Waffled around on getting a new shock for a few weeks, but didn't want to drop 1k+ on something with a remote resevoir... just ordered a 13.4 kg racetech spring from pro cycle instead. Hopefully it will bring my suspension back in balance with the 1.0 springs I put up front at the start of the year.
    RedEX likes this.
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    How many miles are on the OEM shock @herseyb? The bike in your avatar looks like a '12 or '13 Gen 2, so I assume at least 20K by now, if not double that. A big part of your problem is that it's not just the spring. The damping (which wasn't great to begin with) is no longer even as borderline as it was when new. A new spring won't fix that. Actually, it will only make it more noticeable, as now you'll have a greater force pushing back up and down, resulting in a more significant po-go effect.

There are places that can rebuild your shock for about $200-300. There are aftermarket shocks that don't cost $1K. It will transform the bike when you do both ends right for your weight/load.

Gustavo
    TreasureState and herseyb like this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Hard to beat the DMR for $ value.
    They bought Sonic Springs so a spring upgrade with the package is a more affordable in house spring vs the shop buying aftermarket. DMR makes their own valving systems too so all in house.
    http://daughertymotorsports.com/shock-upgrades/

Cogent makes solid stuff, but at a higher level/price
    https://www.motocd.com/
    ag_streak likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    send back that spring and ship off your shock instead
    herseyb likes this.
  14. herseyb

Oddometer:
    Ugh pogo effect was what I am trying to solve, although I did find out the PO had the damping screw adjusted all the way counter clockwise. Last ride I set it at about one whole turn back from all the way clockwise and things did improve some.

Bike is a 2015, previous owner didn't put a lot of miles on it so it is only at 10k
  15. herseyb

Oddometer:
    Hmm, guess I could wait out the end of the season. Do you know if DMR would install this spring?
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd contact them and ask.
  17. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth I bought a used Elka with super low mileage on it. It's one of the 4 way adjustable ones with remote preload and I bought it for $750 CAN. It completely transformed the bike for hard cornering, 2up, dirt, commuting, long distance, whatever. They do come up for sale if you are looking and not in a rush.
    slane6 and RedEX like this.
  18. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have the Elka on mine and love it.
    shanekingsley likes this.
  19. herseyb

Oddometer:
    Sadly elka is no longer manufacturing for the vstrom. But looks like Daugherty is going to hook me up.
    Gustavo and shanekingsley like this.
  20. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my throttle has some left-right play.

I only just hit 500 miles.

I’m assuming I can loosen those two bolts on the housing for the starter/kill switch and maybe slide that 1/8” or so towards the bar end to close the ‘gap.’

Anyone have any experience with this? I don’t wanna F anything up.