VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Also - SoCal vs Missouri. Most other regions are also weather-dependent as far as enjoyment goes.
    RedEX likes this.
  2. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know...fully understand. It's miserable to ride in rain or freezing conditions no matter where you are. I can tolerate rain if it's not freezing cold. And yeah when I used to commute daily, I'd take my truck if it were raining. But I've also been caught in hard, cold rain on my ride home. I can't say it was too awful since the traffic was bad but I was able to filter in between cars. But it was nerve wracking especially in the dark.
  3. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Double checking. You were able to put on protaper adv high bars and not have to mess with cables being moved behind behind triple trees and no break line or clutch extension on 2018? I have 19mm risers and stock bars and it’s ok. 30 mm risers were a no go. I already have lowered foot pegs.

I hate Suzuki for making this such a pain in the ass with short wires and brake and clutch lines.

So Ginypig. Protaper adv high will work?? Again I have 18 v1000xt.

If this works I will just need to replace my Oxford heated grips and I assume the stock hand guards will no longer work?
  4. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    who is this guy, lol
  5. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    me?

I'm just a guy that (for the last few years) rides 50,000+ km /30,000+ km per year an has ridden my Stroms over 652,000 km / 405,000 miles. since my first Strom in 2006.

..Tom
    Shep, Bors, Kamoo and 3 others like this.
  6. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    That's cute, I logged a million miles in 2011 a decade ago professionally test riding for several different factories at the tune of 40,000+ miles a year. The Strom is still boring btw
    Baroquenride and V-Tom like this.
  7. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sound like a great job to have! Which brands were you riding for?

Strom's just a bike.

The rider is the boring part.

..Tom
    Cryoman01 and Kamoo like this.
  8. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    And if it's a Gen1 Strom it's also ugly. Add Pelican side and top cases and it becomes butt ugly. But that's part of its charm.

(But still looks better than a Honda Pacific Coast.)
  9. afm956

afm956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Black frame and swingarm was a game changer. Can't park the bike and walk away without looking back for one more glance and think 'daaaaamn that black frame is the sexy.' Plus it gives you a way to check actual mileage, seeing how much powdercoating has rubbed off down there where boots touch the frame.
    badweatherbiker and Kamoo like this.
  10. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coming from an EX500 to a 2021 Weestrom XT and doing the break in per the book, I’m looking forward being able to hit those double digit RPMs.

I just recently graduated to >500 miles and now have access to the <7500 RPM playground.

So my vote is that this bike is not boring. Chit, my old ninja 250 was not boring. But yeah, if we’re gonna equate ‘not boring’ with spaceballs ludicrous speed acceleration, then I’ll rescind.
    Cryoman01 and RedEX like this.
  11. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    This all depends on your definition of “boring.” I owned a 650 vstrom for a couple of years, and recently changed to a KTM 790 Adventure. The vstrom is definitely boring from an ownership perspective - nothing ever goes wrong on it! Can’t exactly say that about a KTM…
  12. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    The Vstrom is a good bike no doubt I own one, its kind of like the saying "Jack of all trades master of none" it does alot of stuff but doesn't really stand out and do one well. Don't get me wrong I like it alright but it's personality as a master of none makes it boring. Mine has been pretty good so far aside from a blown fork seal, bad start solenoid, bad clutch slave and a few other minor issues.
  13. badweatherbiker

Oddometer:
    Yes lol its a gen 1 and it's hideous
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:

That's cute. Cold hard rain in Orange County? Don't tell us you had to ride in those awful, below 70F, conditions for too long... :imaposer:oscar:imaposer:oscar

Seriously though, I have no doubt that riding in the wet in SoCal can be nerve wracking. Since it doesn't rain often, when it does rain, all the crap comes up to the surface and makes the roads very unpredictable. I live in the PNWet and we ride in the rain often. After the first rains wash the crap that accumulated over the dry season off the roads, it's usually surprisingly grippy. Riding on SoCal wet roads was a completely different experience. You have to treat every rain as "first rain".

Freezing conditions can be OK, if it's dry, like in the desert southwest. All you need is the right gear. The problem here is that around this time of the year it starts getting to and below freezing conditions at night, and it's usually wet too. You could be riding in OK conditions only to come around a corner and find the road covered in ice. :muutt DAMHIK... :knary

Gustavo
    OCLandspeeder and RedEX like this.
  15. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Hey Kamoo, I moved from an EX500 to a WeeStrom, too! Put a lot of miles on it and then practically gave it away, as part of my DL650 funding. :(
    Kinda miss it sometimes.
    2MGP4673.JPG
    Cryoman01, ag_streak, Bors and 2 others like this.
  16. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks great set up for touring like that. Is that the stock suspension?

Here’s mine. I miss it too sometimes but mostly for nostalgic reasons. I’m absolutely loving the Wee 62E97DF0-251C-4027-B45A-E5EA816CB765.jpeg
    RedEX and shanekingsley like this.
  17. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I found the front end on the EX500 to be seriously undersprung, so I changed to heavier fork springs, fork oil change, and changed out the spring on the rear shock, too. Although it was no ADV bike, it was absolutely perfect, once I had it set up this way- until I met this woman and it wasn't quite big enough for two-up touring... The bike is gone now, and so is she. If it wasn't for her I'd probably still own it.
    Kamoo and Baroquenride like this.
  18. afm956

afm956 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. Install Delkevic exhausts
    2. Battle the kudzu Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 9.25.04 AM.png
  19. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chicks, man.

I moved to the states from the UK for a woman over 20 years ago. She’s gone, too.

However, I clocked 1,000 miles today and enjoyed riding by feel again. I also installed a Shad 39 too box. Time to start commuting to work

The EX500 was a great bike. I got rid of mine as after sticking new tires on it I noticed a wobble in the bars between 40-50mph unless both hands were on the bars. I spent way to much time replacing bearings, the rear linkage, etc… nothing seemed to work. I passed it on to someone else with full disclosure.

Super cool bike. But this V-Strom is just killer for comfort and stability at highway speeds. I absolutely love it.
    RedEX and Norcal_Rider like this.
  20. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Anyone here know of an aftermarket exhaust that will work on a 2011 DL650 with an Enduro Guardian Skidplate, SWmotech Centestand and Givi side case racks?

It seems that Staintune is no longer in business and was recently purchased by another company, so not sure what will happen to the moto side of that business. There's a bunch on ebay called Mivv, GPR, Dominator and more, but I know nothing about those ones.

That seems to leave the Scorpion, Delkevic, Holeshot and Two Brothers as ones I might be able to get to fit with the skidplate.

This is the bike for reference:
    [​IMG]