VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    I find that I am no longer as poor now that I own a VStrom instead of a BMW. The beemer parts cost more, service cost more and insurance cost more. Perhaps the better moniker might be “smart person’s” BMW?
    Rusty Rocket, svs, LexLeroy and 4 others like this.
  2. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    True the vstrom that I own costs about a 1/4 of what my two BM trouble U are costing. But they're so fun I still keep around
    Rusty Shakelford and Tmaximusv like this.
  3. Rusty Shakelford

Rusty Shakelford Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's just good, clean, affordable fun
    TreasureState and Loutre like this.
  4. davethewelder

davethewelder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just traded my Road Glide for a V-strom 1050XT. I did the deal @ Tampa Bay Power Sports. I got the yellow and blue with the gold wheels, looks old school. Put 180 miles on it, bike has a great motor, pulls good down low and mid range, haven't really gone over 7000 rpms. Wind protection is real nice and I love the funky windscreen clamp. Seat is not great, I'll wait a while before I shop for one. Mainly the bike will be for roads but I'd like to hit some trails.
    Cryoman01, RedEX, ag_streak and 2 others like this.
  5. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    Since I was used to fixing my 30 year old bmws constantly, I find I am ok spending money on farkling the strom. It is getting super dialed in!
  6. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    That's kind of how I explained it. I was in a parking lot, about to head into the store, when a guy passed by and complimented me on the bike, then asking if it was a BMW. When I told him it was a V-Strom, he wanted to know what the difference was.

I told him that it was kind of like the difference between a Jeep and a Range Rover: both do pretty much the same thing; it just depends how much a person wants to spend. He pondered that for a moment, said, "Interesting," then bid me good day and proceeded on.
    justdirtyfun, Bone82, dp064 and 3 others like this.
  7. highcotton

highcotton n00b

Oddometer:
    Good for you Dave stepping out to a totally different ride. Varity is the spice of life. This Vstrom will make an awesome ride for your future adventures. And that is cool to feel excited about another new motorcycle after all these years of different bikes. You would be the last one that I thought would drink the Suzuki cool aid. Enjoy the moment and I will see you on the road.
  8. daveindenver

daveindenver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’d venture that almost anyone outside of the motorcycle world doesn’t differentiate between the ADV brands. All they see is “one of those bikes with the boxes on the back.” Kind of like when my buddy brought over his brand new m-series BMW and my wife asked him if it was a Jetta.
    TALLGUY, Loutre and RedEX like this.
  9. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ ouch!
    daveindenver likes this.
  10. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    During our sale I had the garage open and several people asked about the BMW in my garage. Except that the bmw was parted out in June…
    ag_streak and daveindenver like this.
  11. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to replace my rear rotor on my 06 DL 650, any suggestions on something less expensive than OEM?
  12. OnTheNaughtyStep

OnTheNaughtyStep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep surely the VStrom forte - good alrounder - they don't go wrong - but are dirt cheap to keep on the road.
    TreasureState likes this.
  13. Norcal_Rider

Norcal_Rider IBA Alumnus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try sourcing EBC rotors and the associated pads.
    TreasureState and Wierdrider like this.
  14. Bone82

Bone82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at used Vstrom 650’s for several months, mainly due to reading all the positive comments and reviews from Vstrom owners. I currently own a 2012 Triumph Tiger roadie which I would keep.
    I have been looking at mostly 2004-2009’s to keep the cost down. I have found 2 that I am pretty interested in.
    Curious which sounds like a better choice to the pros on here.
    Bike 1
    2005 650 with 24K miles has Give panniers, crash bars, heavy duty skid plate, Cee Bailey windshield, heated grips, fog lights, Sargent seat, new Anakee 3 tires, custom mirrors, has a small homemade top box.. I would likely replace. Comes with a couple average helmets and 3 armor jackets. Price $3,500.00
    Bike 2
    - 2007 650 with 36K miles has Caribou panniers, nice Givi top box with backrest, crash bars, skid plate and a custom seat, that is nice.. but I would probably have to get redone to fit me. New Metzler Tourance tires. This bike does have ABS. Price 3900.00
    Both bikes are in mint condition and well serviced
    So… Bike 1 I would need to buy a top box, I probably like the tires more.. love everything else. But no ABS
    Bike 2 I would add heated grips, probably fog lights.. I like to be visible, possibly a seat redo, have ABS
    Which bike would you buy? I welcome any input
  15. Hukamosh

Hukamosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd probably buy the 2005, less miles more stuff you want. I'd tell them to keep the riding gear and offer less cash too (unless you see value in the gear of course).
    For me I don't mind not having ABS as I've never had it so wouldn't miss it but if it is important to you buy the 2007.
  16. Dynamick

Dynamick Ornamental Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Bone82 this is great advice. If the motos are in equal shape and one isn't standing clearly above the other, take into account the sellers. Go with gut on this. If either of them seems to be more reasonable than the other, deal with them. Good luck with purchase, you won't be sad!
    Norcal_Rider, Bone82 and RedEX like this.
  17. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yea ditto on that choice. Who wants somebody's old (and possibly useless) gear? To me that adds ZERO to the value.
    BUT, what are prices like on Gen 2 models, out of your budget?
    Bone82 likes this.
  18. Bone82

Bone82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have bikes with ABS and I have bikes without. There is definitely an added level of safety with the ABS.. but I still ride the bikes that don’t have it.
    The seller on the 05 is locked on the 3500.00. With or without the gear. The gear wouldn’t fit me or my Wife, other than 1 jacket. My only thought for the gear was I could possibly sell it for a few bucks.
    Whichever bike I choose I was planning to put it on Riders Share and rent it out when I’m not using it, so I could keep the gear for the renters if they should need it.
  19. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you sir. That’s exactly what I was looking for.
  20. Bone82

Bone82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have mostly looked at bikes locally and out to about 400 miles from me. I only considered bikes that already had side/top cases, protection bars and plates etc.
    The 2012-2014 models that were fully loaded with 35K and less miles were about 6K to 7K.
    I wasn’t sure what I would really be gaining for 55% to 100% more money.
    Same motor, similar miles and accessories. I am sure you or others on here could tell me if it’s worth it.
    RedEX likes this.