VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Genypig

Genypig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know there was a factory gel seat! I will have to look into that.

I feel like there is some kind of misconception burned into people's minds: If that's not a BMW or a KTM, how did you possibly ride out here? Are you ill? Are you lost? ... :rofl
    RedEX likes this.
  2. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I had the gel seat on my v-strom 650, it was really comfortable.
  3. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    I had an OEM gel seat on my first DL650 about 10yrs ago and the most I could do on that seat was 90minutes at a time. I replaced it with a Corbin and I can do 12hour days no problem.
    No two butts are alike!
    MarkVeeMarkADV, RedEX and V-Tom like this.
  4. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention that... I replaced the gel seat with a Corbin and found it really wasn't any better. I guess I don't have a Corbin butt.
    norton(kel) and shanekingsley like this.
  5. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    When I bought my second Strom, it came with a Corbin seat and I hated it, not the padding or shape of the seat per se, but the position that it forced me into. After the second ride I sold it and bought another gel seat, so apparently i don’t have a Corbin butt either.
    shanekingsley likes this.
  6. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corbin seats came on two of my previous bikes, and I for sure don't have a Corbin butt...or back. They were excruciating!

My '04 Vee came with a Sargent seat, and it's the most comfy moto seat I've ever owned...I've done back to back 9hr days so far, and many, many 5-6 hour days, and even a 12hr day once. Guess mine's a Sargent butt!
    LexLeroy, Dynamick and shanekingsley like this.
  7. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    You guys are all crazy.
    :hide
    dtysdalx2 and wilddoktor like this.
  8. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I just did a big trip from Michigan to Arkansas on the V-Strom, about six weeks ago. It was hot! I bet the weather was perfect there about now. Interesting state with a lot of great roads, both paved and dirt. My favorite was AR-7, ran that thing from top to bottom and it was awesome! (Of course there were many others!) For dirt, the forest roads Womble Silver, and Collier Springs were a lot of fun, too. I camped at the state park, near Hot Springs.
    Looks like you had a good time, keep doing all the things a V-Strom is not supposed to do! :D
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Corbin seats, I have one and don't like it for this bike. I'm willing to sell it locally-ish but not willing to ship.
  10. herseyb

herseyb Driftless Wisconsin Wanderlust

Oddometer:
    Anbody use an admore light bar?

I got a sherpax trailer, thinking I can use the light bar on it, then use a shorter cable to mount it to the bike when I don't have the trailer.

Right now the boxes on my bike kind of hide my signals.
    [email protected] and Dave MP like this.
  11. klong

klong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try using a shopping bag (Walmart, etc.) over your boots - they’ll slide in much easier.
    Tmaximusv likes this.
  12. Dave MP

Dave MP Retired USA

Oddometer:
    I have had one on a previous bike, and waiting for a new one shortly. They work well when connected correctly.
    It should work real good in your situation.
    heysyb likes this.
  13. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's brilliant!
  14. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Klong,
    We used to keep plastic shopping bags in our survival suits, makes getting them on easier when you're wearing deck boots and in a hurry.
    [email protected] likes this.
  15. blaustrom

blaustrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before I got my Gore-Tex boots the old boots were leaking despite having a "similar" membrane. The rubber rain booties were impossible to get on or of but easy with a shopping bag. However that made the boots so slippery inside the booties that there was always the risk to loose your footing and drop the bike.
  16. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can we see a pic of the trailer on the bike? :ear
  17. Kamoo

Kamoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else experience a rough idle with light exhaust pops on the +2017 model?

I have a 2021 with like 1300 miles on it and feel it idles a little rough. It always has slightly, but I feel like I notice it more now.

Over on stormtroopers a few other posters said they experience the same and it’s just normal for this bike.

Just wondering what the consensus is over here.
  18. realshelby

realshelby FLAKE

Oddometer:
    I have had 2 or 3 of them over the years. Very high quality product. Never had one fail. Still have the brake, tail, turn unit on the DL 650.
  19. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Well after 30k nearly flawless miles my 2012 DL650 finally has an issue.
    The rear shock has given up the ghost. It’s leaking from what I suspect is a blown shaft seal. The bike is marking its territory like an old English bike.

Has anyone had their stock shock rebuilt? This bike is my pragmatic no frills commuter and in that capacity I’ve been totally happy with the stock suspension and I am not crazy about spending $600-800 on a new shock only to then find out how much the front sucks and then spending the cash to fix that. I just need a shock that keeps the rear wheel on the ground and my spine from hurting.
    RedEX likes this.
  20. nestastubbs

nestastubbs Green Mountain Toys Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Previous thread woth checking out: https://advrider.com/f/threads/anyone-else-rebuilding-stock-dl650-shocks.861648/

Apparently, Sasquatch is rebuilding...

I am considering a similiar situation, my DL650 has 30k and the rear is pretty worn out.