1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the big one.
    [​IMG]
  2. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recognize that place.
  3. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    There are more Vstrom riders than scooter riders

Vstrom forum now.

:pot
  4. NCbub

NCbub Long timer

Oddometer:
    15K on my DL1000, the best bike I have owned.
  5. Barnstromer

Barnstromer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had my 1000 for about a year. My wife got a Wee for Christmas. Most fun I have ever had on 2 wheels
  6. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The low price was a major factor in my decision to buy the 650, but now that I have one I can't get over the feeling that I'm getting away with something. It's simply a great bike, and a steal at the price asked. :ricky
    Runwithscissors and 5Paw like this.
  7. The Shepherd

The Shepherd Lord of Mondays

Oddometer:
    I got me a big one as well, I wish winter would go away so I can play with it.

[​IMG]
    cdnabn49 likes this.
  8. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    I have the DL650 as well.

I own I-95 and the Florida Turnpike now.

Orlando to Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

Back and forth

Forth and back

18k on mine and so far new tires and most recently, a new chain.

Of course, I dropped mine soon after buying it (March, 2004) but almost everyone drops theirs soon after buying it.
  9. SpeedStar

SpeedStar XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer:
    DL650 here and it has been nothing but great. Unbelievable value and great fun to ride. I have met a lot of cool people because of it and I have never has a regret about this bike.
  10. Lencho

Lencho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went for a 2005 Daddy Strom a year ago. Couldn't be happier with the choice. Took it over the 650 for the dual exhausts, hand guards, lower spoiler, dark blue color, beefier suspension/swingarm/passanger peg mounts and stronger motor (wheelie factor). Looks a bit better in the fairing area to me, too. I am sure that both are great bikes, but Wee owners are a bit annoying in their claims of greatness :lol3

I'd like the Wee's 650 motor in a DR650 frame.

P.S. - value does count. I went for the Strom because I could not afford the KTM 950. Very satisfied with the Strom, even though it was my 2nd choice due to the almighty dollar constraints.
  11. BBurton

BBurton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big Daddy bike all the way!!!! The wee is a great bike too, wouldn't mind having one as well! I would still ride the 1000 more... it is my preference for bigger engines and more torque.:wink:
  12. element

element Time to roll

Oddometer:
    Went to buy a big Orange and end up with a Daddy Strom. This must be the best scoot purchase I have ever made.

FYI, The dealership sales manager couldn't keep his Orange on the road... (unknown to the SM the shop foreman suggested the DL1000)

Out of the box they are solid, dependable and most importantly have diverse capabilities... and if great is not good enough, it only takes small $ to make changes.
  13. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the 650. Got back into riding in the fall of '04 after several years absence, with a used SV650S. Loved the motor and how it handled, but found I was probably 15 years past full appreciation of a tucked-in-bent-over riding position, and that it wasn't roomy enough for comfortable two-up. I bought the V-Strom for the comfort and riding position, only to find out how much fun it can be off-pavement. I've done 350 mile highway runs, backroad twisties, commuting to work, beer runs with a milk crate on the back, and best of all, sunny afternoons finding out where all the unpaved roads in the area go. Close to 8000 miles in the year I've had it; which is probably 1/2 of what I'd have if there wasn't a wife and two kids feeling neglected when I'm gone. (Actually, the wife would be happy without me if I wasn't leaving the kids with her).

It really does it all well, from puttering along at 35 on a dirt washboard, to cruising down the highway at 80.

Barry
  14. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    The milk crate motorcycle reborn!!!!!!

Is that a good thing?
  15. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    How could it not be?
  16. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

Oh come on Lencho, everyone knows the wee stays up on 2 better than the V.:D
  17. iDave

iDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yabbut you never ride,,,,,

:hide :wink:
  18. WisStrom

WisStrom Amish Playboy

Oddometer:
    Berkeley of the Midwest, Madison, WI YFF's
    I bought the Wee Strom April 26, 2005. My first bike since 1989 which at the time was a FT500 Ascot. Ive never really gotten into the Cruiser or Crotch Rocket craze. They just never appealled to me, either to uncomfortable or just plain ugly. I've wanted a good inexpensive bike for years, but had family obligations to ensure first. I rode the bike all but 3 days over the summer and did 8000 miles my first year, riding right up until the snow flew. It has been a benefit both on gas, was able to park my truck, and with my family, nice long weekend rides. Overall, no complaints, other than the 150 mile monkey butt stock saddle. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    [​IMG]
  19. Strombony

Strombony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i've got the big strom. this is the best motorcycle i've ever owned.
    it does it all, highway, twisties, gravel. i love to explore and this bike lets me go where ever i want. but i i'm preacing to the choir here.
    v-stroms rawk!
  20. Mrs Scotsman

Mrs Scotsman nOOb (for now)

Oddometer:
    Hello fellow Adv Riders,

I would like to say a big "Thank You" to everyone who posted comments and advice to my Hubby's "Mrs Scotsman's New Ride...." thread. It was really nice of you and instantly made me feel part of the group.

Don't tell the hubby but last night, I dropped the bike again and this time I broke the left side turn signal. :cry Actually, he already knows about it and is looking for flush mounts (does anyone have a weblink so we can purchase them online). He also bought a couple of Kouba Links so we can lower the bike a little..I think lowering the bike and being able to flat-foot will build my confidence a lot faster.

We're heading to Houston this week so that I can take part in a MSF class. Unfortunately, after the two hurricanes Louisiana temporary suspended all MSF classes.

I hope to see you all on the road (if I can pass this MSF class)...byeee
    Cheryl (Mrs Scotsman)

[​IMG]