VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Ride_There

Ride_There Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer:
    I am really amazed that there is no more damage than that from dropping a Strom. Even with my crashbars and hand guards I would have assumed there would be a lot more scuffs on the tank or windscreen.

2. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too, Me Too...:huh. I'm glad nothing else was broken, scraped or dented, except for her pride and confidence.

edit: Oh yeah, the ball looking thingy at the end of the clutch lever also broke off. :rolleyes But still no scratches to the fairing, etc.
  3. Patriot4570

Patriot4570 Trail Blaster

Oddometer:
    I have a DL 1000 ,I like riding two up with it and like the extra engine size.I test drove a V-Strom 650 at biketoberfest in Daytona and I really liked that bike too.Maybe I will get one of those to add to the stable.[​IMG]
  4. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    DL1000, got it back in October.

I'd been set on the 650, thinking that since I wasn't sure what bike I really wanted, I should be looking for something that was a good all-rounder, and shouldn't be spending over $10k (which is where all the other contenders lived). I wasn't really considering the DL1000, because I didn't think the extra benefits it offered were worth the difference in MSRP.

But while I was shopping, I found that one of the better-rated dealers around here was offering a great end-of-season price on the 2 DL1000s they had on the floor. Meanwhile, nobody nearby had a 650 in stock, and it seemed unlikely that I was going to get a similar discount on a bike that somebody had to go out of their way to get for me. So the real-world price difference between the two was much smaller than the MSRP difference.

So I decided to go for the DL1000; I already liked the looks of the big bike better, what with the dual exhausts and colors more to my taste. (I think the combination of the black fairing and black frame looks great.) And I figured I'd probably appreciate the extra power on the highway.

Closing in on 3000 miles, I have zero regrets. This bike is great at everything I want it to do. It's fun on winding roads, a good commuter, and eats up the highway miles with ease.
  5. spawnx66

spawnx66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try this place for flushmounts:

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2...t_Code=25-8022&Category_Code=dl650_electrical

They have a carbon fiber version too for $5 more. I've never bought from them before, but they seem to have a lot of things for the wee strom.

Don't worry about the drop, we've all done it before and congrats on the great bike! :ricky Mine's sitting at the stealership, at least you can ride yours this time of year!
  6. FlyingScotsman

Oddometer:
  7. Leostrom

Leostrom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought an 04 650 DL gave it to my wife and bought the 05 1000 DL for myself. I love both bikes. But I still can't stop thinking about the new BMW
    1200GS ADVENTURE. I don't know what to do anymore. Keep my 1000 or
    exchange it for the BMW?
  8. FlyingScotsman

Oddometer:
    They would sure look nice together :nod

[​IMG]
  9. schiprec

schiprec PB&J-LO

Oddometer:
    Bought a left over 03 last year and I could'nt be more happy. I installed a MP Cycle windsreen and never looked back. My last bike was a TL 1000, 3yrs and 15000 mi. DL1000, 13500 in 1 yr. This bike rocks
  10. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi ya'll,

I have the big one and love it! It gets a lot of both worlds here in Montana, dirt and street. I chose the 1000 as my Mrs and I do trips two up, so we like the power under the load of gear and all.
    It has been terrific so far!!

Glad to see all these posts.:clap

TC:D
  11. Maxmosbey

Maxmosbey Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the big daddy, and I love it. Put a set of GIVI bags on it, and it is my everything bike. It is good for anything from a short putt to the grocery store to a week on the road. We ride it two up a lot of the time, and that is why we got the 1000.
  12. Maxmosbey

Maxmosbey Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the E360s, with a E460 trunk. I have the Givi brackets, and I like them fine.
  13. southforkspeedster

southforkspeedster koolaidless

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Got both, plus a few others.

[​IMG]
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I could have bought any bike I wanted, I rode Criscokids 1000, and you talk about griiiinnn factor. Went to the dealer and ordered his and hers. Now we have a full stable:lol3 :lol3

Great bikes both of them!!
  14. Maxmosbey

Maxmosbey Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are quite welcome. I have a couple of cars in the family, but during the summer I use my bike almost exclusively for transportation. I have found the E460 to be very handy. You can stick a full face helmet and a leather jacket in there and lock it up. You can also haul about four bags of groceries in it also. That is those plastic bags that they use now. You can also fill it about half full with ice, and put almost a case of beer in it, for those byob functions. I like the E360s, because they just come off with a push of a button, and they can be carried just like a suitcase.
  15. Stinez

Stinez Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer:
    I sure like my 1k but night riding in the rolling twisties is scary.
    Between the faring mounted headlights and the somewhat high pattern of the lens’ the lack of light makes me feel like I’m turning into a dark hole. :huh

I’m getting a set of PIAA’s before the next long trip. And I'm angling them so I can see better through turns.

:D
  16. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

Double thanks for the pics. I was thinking if I buy a wee, I'l have to pony up for a set of h-b junior bags as I hadn't really ween a set of Givis I thought looked as good. That setup looks very nice. If you don't mind, how much was that setup?:ear
  17. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    :bluduh You are a bad bad person queenie. I'm sure you didn't notice, but that place is, oh, ten minutes from my house. :baldy
  18. Capt. Ron

Capt. Ron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like V-Stroms are becomming respectable. I have s 2004 1000. Bought the bike new and am very pleased with it. In fact, I've been shopping and have tried several bikes, but have found nothing so versatile and fun.
    Damn, I'm going to have to learn how to post pics.
    Ron
  19. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    I use the GIVI e-21's on mine. Bike is a daily rider, and I never have to be too creative with the bungees. The 21's are deceptively large, keep the bike relatively narrow, and the top opening feature is really nice. Cheaper, too.
  20. ALLDRTY

ALLDRTY I can do that...

Oddometer:
    Please tell me thats a motorcycle shop behind you and not your garage:eek1