1. eNewsletter Sign Up

VStrom Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Queen, Jan 16, 2006.

1. portabill

portabill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pro-tip: Don't fill up the tank right before you decide to remove it by yourself. (I've never done that before... nope! )
  2. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yes it is! Was in Snowshoe, WV this morning and back to Michigan by evening - 470 miles today. I am gonna miss those curves!
  3. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Up until now I've always kind of kept to a "radius" around the Great Lakes area, so I've never had occasion to put in those kind of multiple long days in the saddle. So I can't disagree at all with your voice of experience. But "as a V-Strom owner", my own personal issue with long-distance travel, is that it pretty much requires a lot of high-speed freeways- which brings up the matter of noise, and wind management. I always use foam plugs w/33 db NRR, and have a Madstad system, but at times, yesterday's winds just beat the hell out of me. (RealShelby, I was one of the guys on StromTroopers who just missed the window of opportunity for your Werks windshield!) So I don't know what's worse, a sore ass, or permanent hearing loss? Lucky for us V-Strom owners, we can have both! ;D
  4. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just need to travel on the 'roads less traveled' and you can rack up some pretty impressive days. About a month ago I left my place in the morning and hit Suches, GA and then up to Tellico Plains, TN, the Cherohala Skyway, Dragon, Foothills Parkway, part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and then Warwomen road back to Clayton and home. Overall ride was a little over 700 miles and most of that was well under 55. However, normally for a riding vacation I like to keep the mileage in the 150 to 250 miles per day since I like to do some site seeing along the way.

My brother and I did a Lake Michigan and Lake Superior loop several years ago and it was pretty damn AWESOME - some real road gems up there. I don't think we ever got on the Interstate except on the way from Wisconsin back to our Mom's house in Chicago.
    RedEX likes this.
  5. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Oh i agree totally! I almost never take freeways, the only reason i did yesterday was trying to beat a very ugly storm system showing on weather radar. I'm at Exit 29 on I-75, so once i get through Toledo my route is always some kind of back roads, which is what i did on the way down to WV on Sunday. Yea, there is definitely some good scenery up this way, (especially the U. P.), but there are just NO roads in Michigan that compare to some of the challenging, endless curves to be had down South! :D
    rsteiger likes this.
  6. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think wind and seat are so personal in terms of comfort. I always wear earplugs and have for over 30 years and wind noise does not bother me at all. As far as seats I can do 700-900 miles days on a Seat Concepts comfortably. When warmer I like to use a beaded cover as it keeps the nether regions cooler, which I forgot for my last trip.
    I just got back from WV. I am a rock climber and rode to Seneca and climbed, then New River Gorge via Snowshoe and climbed. The last day I did Fayetteville to Snowshoe to Seneca Rocks to Black River area through Bald Eagle State Forest in PA and then slabbish to home in upstate NY. a bit over 700 miles with about 450 backroads and 250 highway.
    IMG_20190812_104337369_HDR.jpg
    RedEX likes this.
  7. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    2019-08-23 12.47.52.jpg
    I'm surprised we didn't cross paths. I stayed at Snowshoe for a couple days. Among other places, I also spent some time at Dolly Sods. Just curious if you how long it takes to hike the path up to the observation platform at Seneca Rocks? (It was evening by the time I got there, was pretty sure I didn't have enough time.) So much to see and do in West Virginia!
  8. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
    Must of been lots of Stroms out that weekend, I finally made it out that way also, pretty sure that was @RichBeBe I ran into out in Seneca, glad to hear the climbing worked out.
    20190811_135049.jpg
    RedEX and rsteiger like this.
  9. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Nice! Dolly Sods? Looks like Brushy Ridge Rd, LOL that forest road is so good you could take a Goldwing down it!
  10. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    Just a few Strom pixs.. 20190811_074557.jpg 20190527_162912.jpg 20190811_074609.jpg
    Mainrollman and MuckSavage like this.
  11. SloRonStinkypants

SloRonStinkypants Without nipples Tits are pointless.

Oddometer:
    20180707_174819.jpg 20180707_112809.jpg 20180707_131841.jpg 20180707_121734.jpg
    Mainrollman and MuckSavage like this.
  12. JoeyD-SLO

JoeyD-SLO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow I'm headed out of town to buy ANOTHER 650 hahah. I just bought the one I have a few weeks ago but found a deal on a super low mileage @ 12,500 vs my 57000, cleaner and with all the adventure stuff on it already. Conveniently talking to a friend about selling my current one he offered to buy it!
    Hopefully it's as clean as the guy makes it out to me, my only real concern is there's some oxidation in places since he's very close to the beach, If it's not terrible I won't worry about it.
  13. Scramblette

Scramblette 2005 DL650

Oddometer:
    Well, I bit the bullet and dropped the money on the same seat after a lot of research and reading through reviews. Haven’t got to spend a lot of time on it yet though.
  14. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Yes we did and yeah I found a partner.
  15. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Not sure my knees do not do stairs well. I climbed the face to the South Peak and rappelled down. Took us maybe 3 hours total. But was technical albeit easy climbing.
    RedEX likes this.
  16. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    So
    I put about 1500 miles on the new 804/5 combo
    I like them
    Great on dry roads, ok on wet (so far) haven't tried sand yet and hope not too
    I still suck in mud, but tire dells better in it
    Tires are definitely more vibey if u will
    I put the hwy bars back on, and that helped some
    Boy did I miss them on.long trips

KIMG3005.jpeg
    Errr..hate that pics always show sideways here ....why.......
  17. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to try some Anakee 3’s

IMG_1435.JPG
  18. JoeyD-SLO

JoeyD-SLO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drove 6 hours to look at the bike. Ended up having rust and cancer all over it. Ended up passing on it. Which is sad because at 12K miles it otherwise looked brand new. It ended up being one of those dudes who had it, it sat for years and he one day decided to put it up for sale without even looking it over.
    "it's only been dropped on one side" - It was dropped on both sides
    " Any rust" Him: "there is oxidation on some of the aluminum" - There was weld rust and cancer in multiple places on the bike

There was oil pooled in the exhaust as well, wasn't too sure what to make of it, when I test rode it I could smell burning oil, we looked and saw oil around the front exhaust coupler. so we sprayed it and I went and rode it for about 30 minutes. Could still smell oil, we pulled the plugs and nothing was wet except the threads, the electrode side did look a tad dark.

Nothings wrong with my current bike, so I'm fine with keeping it. The sale to me friend was contingent on me buying the new one, so no loss there.

19. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    So my brother flew from Ft Worth to Atlanta this weekend to purchase a brand new KTM 790 Adeventure S that my local dealer had in stock. This is not the R model (which seems to have sold out rather quickly) but the more street orientated version of the 790 Adventure.

We got the bike back to my place and prepped it for his ride back to Ft. Worth. After the prep work I took the bike out on a 10 mile loop of pavement and gravel that I ride.

First off the bike feels light and narrow. The 790 motor is a real GEM! Good power and very smooth, my friends with the R model are reporting some pretty impressive fuel economy numbers as well. However, I was not impressed with the bike during the ride. Granted I wasn't railing on it and I was keeping the tach under 6000 RPM but basically I would choose my Strom over the bike just because the Strom is so much more comfortable to ride. The 21" front wheel on the 790 Adventure makes it feel ponderous on the pavement and the Strom feels so much more nimble in comparison. The suspension seemed overly stiff on the 790 but at that point it only had a few miles on the bike so I suspect this will soften up a bit.

Later this week I am riding out to Ft. Worth and then my brother and I will be riding up to Boulder, CO to spend a week riding in CO and UT. We will be meeting up with an old HS friend of his and a lady he knows. He will be riding a 790 Adventure R and she is riding a 650 GS. Bike swapping will be taking place and I will see what I think after that trip.
    Krautwagen likes this.
  20. Mala Suerte

Mala Suerte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have about 3000 miles on my 804/805s and the rear is almost shot, sadly. Great tire grip wise, I haven't had it in deep mud or sand, but got rained on a lot in a recent trip and they were superb.

RE: Seats, the PO of my Strom shaved the seat down, he was a short guy, and it was worth about 150 miles before I went numb. I looked at the high end seats and ended up buying a Wild Ass seat cushion for about $110 and it is almost perfect. I start to feel at little discomfort at about 250 miles, but just adjust my weight and can continue on for another 150 miles.